Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-06-24 01:00:27

poplar girl
Administrator

Some pictures of this year's EOs

The oldest, they were hard to take picturs of. Look at that nice big marraduna cockerels crooked toes...
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/3bed28a1810dd005496afe2561154fd7.jpg

A rainbow of the next age group of cockerels.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/72d4e1ed363145890866db6782e62c7b.jpg
And the pullets. This is a keeper group, the non breeding ones from this group I rehomed.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/34f6eb85b876b5fdccffe13a946d9f50.jpg

The youngest bunch, stuck inside for lack of space. This is Elevator's daughter M&K.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/b240f7d16a70e53eb25d88931faf2678.jpg
One of the hererozygous barred youngest cockerels.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/f70b2ff62ac66f9e4db926d86a8b6149.jpg
Elevator's son. He's already lost a point on his comb from scrapping.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/06f2fff611f6e8514c3efb6fe728d5c7.jpg

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-06-24 01:00:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-06-24 01:22:18

Susan
Administrator

Re: Some pictures of this year's EOs

Looking good PG! Love how they are on top of the ladder lol

#3 2013-06-24 02:38:18

Prairie Chick

looking good :EO:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#4 2013-06-24 15:09:31

NaturesPace
Website

looks like a few nice cockerels in the second photo, but do they have barring on their tail feathers? i don't see any white on the guy in the front.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2013-06-24 20:47:12

Flat Rock Farm

Susan wrote:

Looking good PG! Love how they are on top of the ladder lol

Thought the same thing Susan, it's so they have a better vantage point to check you out :thumbsup:

They look great PG.  I will have to post some pictures of the two from the first hatch of your eggs they are really turning out nice!!

#6 2013-06-24 22:34:50

Susan
Administrator

Oh dear, PG. I hate to break it to you, but your breeding program is not working. I have a few minor concern about the two birds in each bottom corner of the first pic. I think you will need to go back to the drawing board.

:whistle:

#7 2013-06-24 23:49:29

Micah and Kiah

:excited:  LOVE the photos.  Thanks so much for posting.  It looks like you have a nice group to choose from! We love Elevator's daughter.  It seems quite appropriate that Elevator's daughter is on top of a ladder... just another way to get close to a human!   Elevator's son!  Micah and I had different reactions.  I said, "Oh no!  But Elevator is so gentle!"  Micah said, "Elevator has always been boss roo on the farm from the day he hatched.  It is no surprise that his son is trying to establish itself!"

In a week I will hopefully be able to post photos of the adorable babies we got as eggs from you Popular girl!  I will have a few days vacation between work and when my course starts.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#8 2013-06-25 01:17:41

poplar girl
Administrator

NaturesPace wrote:

looks like a few nice cockerels in the second photo, but do they have barring on their tail feathers? i don't see any white on the guy in the front.

There are marraduna (some WAY to silver), heterozygous barred and gorria in that picture NP. The gorria of course and no barring and the heterozygous barred also often don't have barred tail feathers.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2013-06-25 01:22:21

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan wrote:

Oh dear, PG. I hate to break it to you, but your breeding program is not working. I have a few minor concern about the two birds in each bottom corner of the first pic. I think you will need to go back to the drawing board.

:whistle:

Yes a few spitz eggs may have got put in the incubator here and there. :whistle: I ended up with an alarming ratio f scrawny spitz rooster but I think I hatched 4 pullets as well. I may be convinced to share a couple pullets if you'd like? I think we will drive through S'toon in late July...

#10 2013-06-25 01:25:40

Susan
Administrator

I was thinking in support of your breeding program, that I could offer to take any less than desirable "babies" from this unsuccessful endeavour off of your hands ....:funny:

#11 2013-06-25 01:27:43

poplar girl
Administrator

Micah and Kiah wrote:

:excited:  LOVE the photos.  Thanks so much for posting.  It looks like you have a nice group to choose from! We love Elevator's daughter.  It seems quite appropriate that Elevator's daughter is on top of a ladder... just another way to get close to a human!   Elevator's son!  Micah and I had different reactions.  I said, "Oh no!  But Elevator is so gentle!"  Micah said, "Elevator has always been boss roo on the farm from the day he hatched.  It is no surprise that his son is trying to establish itself!"

In a week I will hopefully be able to post photos of the adorable babies we got as eggs from you Popular girl!  I will have a few days vacation between work and when my course starts.

The little pullet SO loves people I think she would jump from just about anywhere toget to a person M&K. Her coloring, size and personality are great. She does have a side sprig but I think i will make an exception and keep her an anyway. What are a few "bonus points"?

I really like Elevator's son. I can't tell yet if he will be people aggressive or just chicken aggressive, I do know that boy is a serious escape artist...out of the pen like lightning when I open that door. Some of the other sons are pretty nice too but a bit too much grey.

#12 2013-06-25 01:30:26

poplar girl
Administrator

I think I will refrain from a breeding program with the spitz Susan as tempting as it is...Faraday my rooster and Salt his wife and I think a couple daughters are enough for my Spizhauben collection so I could share :)

#13 2013-06-25 01:34:55

gubi
Website

I guess the computer ate my earlier reply from this morning so I'll start again.
You have some nice EO's there.  Is there a Welsummer cockerel in the first picture?  And in the Rainbow picture what's the rooster looking at the fence?  I also have some Elevator chicks here now too.  Micah and Kiah dropped them off yesterday morning on her way to a swap and took some of my Spitz pullets along for me.  Is it possible that the crooked toes are nutrition related?  I know my Brown Swiss need more selenium than a holstein does in their feed rations.  I even had one of my Spitzoiloa cockerel and a Welsummer cockerel develop a crooked toe.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#14 2013-06-25 01:57:56

poplar girl
Administrator

Gubi, don't you hate when a well thought out post just goes "poof" :banginghead:

The "wellsummer cockerel" in the first picture is a very dark gorria EO.  Have 2 like him, the only two chicks from a pair mating. Beautiful mahogany colored boys but not right for a gorria.

The rooster in pic two I am calling a "splash" gorria EO. I have had several like him this year from one particular pair. I also had pullets just the same but I sold them to some urban people not looking to breed.

Told you I had some amazing new colors of EOs popping up this year!!

On crooked toes...no, I do think it is at least in part genetic. I mated one big beautiful pullet with a crooked middle toe and I kid you not 75% or more of her chicks have one or even both middle toes crooked. It developes at 7 to 8 weeks. The curled toes I am wondering if that might not be nutritional but I am not willing to test so any with curled toes I will not be keeping. I have 1 spitz with a crooked toes this year too...

#15 2013-06-25 03:03:49

Micah and Kiah

Elevator was a strong but fairly peaceful leader in the bachelor pen.  He had the other EO boys as his back ups and plucked the tail feathers from the other boys.  You could actually tell how high the cockerals were in the rankings because of how many tail feathers Elevator left in! He kept the peace and if lower rank boys squabbled he just had to step forward and thing quieted quickly.  Oh I hope you end up loving his kids!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#16 2013-06-26 00:54:01

gubi
Website

Genetics are a big part for sure but I'm not sure that inbreeding is the biggest culprit but it will bring it more to light.  I know I had a lot of them last year from big boy but this year when I mated Big Boy to his daughters I was up in very high %iges too and all my breeders have straight toes.  I even had a spitzoiloa sired by big boy get the crooked middle toe.  But then I mated a big boy son to a big boy daughter and got 100% good feet at hatch!  I think we are dealing with 2 separate issues here one is the severe clubfoot that is visible at hatch and the other is the crooked middle toe that doesn't appear until later.  I did notice the Spitz pullet in the first picture had it too.  I had one Spitz cockerel last year that developed one on both feet last year.  I think you will be able to find out so much from our EO's with pair mating.  It makes me wish I had more smaller pens for pair mating's too.
My lost post was so much better then the one that made it but oh well.  Here's my thought.  If Brown Swiss and Holsteins get fed the same level of Selenium in their ration the Brown Swiss calves will show symptoms of deficiencies which gives the Brown Swiss a bad name because they have "Stupid calves"  But in reality if you up the selenium level in the ration the suckling reflexes return and you have smart calves.  So getting back to EO's.  What micro nutrient deficiency causes club feet at hatch and which crooked toes at 3-5 weeks of age. 
Do you have any closeup pictures of the Speckled Sussex coloured EO's?  What lineage do they carry?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#17 2013-06-26 02:06:33

poplar girl
Administrator

Agreed there are two separate type of crooked toes as you described. Also agree that nutrients may play a role in the development of crooked toes. But here is my thought on that and it follows with your example. Although higher amounts of a certain nutrient might help reduce or eliminate the problem by providing those nutrient are we in fact then selecting for birds who have more demanding nutrient requirements and is that something to avoid? The wry neck problem seems the same to me, certain lines are way more susceptible to developing it. Give the ones who develope it higher amounts of vitamins E and they recover. But should those birds with higher nutrient requirements be used for breeding or should we be selecting against them as strong birds need to be able to get their nutrients from regular food with no need for major vitamins supplements?

My splash line is from black horse ranch birds. The hen is the 5 year old gorria, the rooster my heterozygous barred rooster. I question whether there might have been a cross breeding back in their parentage somewhere and definately won't be using any off colored birds for breeding. Not sure I have any close up pictures but I will check or try to take some.

Definately a work In progress these EOs but that just means lots of surprises and opportunity for improvement!

#18 2013-06-26 12:41:02

Susan
Administrator

I agree PG, most things are of a genetic nature with a dose of environmental conditions thrown in. Basically the genes are already there, but environment plays a role as to if they are going to show up. I think you are right in breeding for birds that do not need special supplementation.

#19 2013-06-26 13:14:33

gubi
Website

I agree with you Susan and PG, it is possible that the basque country side has different mineral levels then our North American soil too.  I did have an EO wry neck too in my first hatch.  He was the only one out of 5 chicks hatched that didn't have feet problems.
I have a friend who's brother worked for a broiler breeder and they got the double yolker for eating for free.  he told me that their yolks are nearly red because of the extra minerals they feed them.

#20 2013-06-26 20:22:40

Micah and Kiah

Were/how could we find out the mineral levels of the soil in Basque country?  I know!  Let's buy soil testing equipment and go on a  trip! :thumbsup:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#21 2013-06-27 00:39:17

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh I am SO in M&K. I am a professional agrologist after all :wise:

#22 2013-06-27 02:36:23

Amblecroft
Website

I think we should just email an EO breeder in Spain and ask them what problems they are experiencing?  I was chatting with a nice breeder in Spain a year ago.  I'll try to find his email address again and ask him. 

The soil is very poor as you are in the mountains.  I would also guess that our feed is probably more diverse and richer overall (but I'm only guessing).  I can ask some friends overseas with chickens what feed they buy.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

Adverts

Board footer