Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-06-19 18:22:34

NaturesPace
Website

Nigerian Dwarf Goats

We are about to get 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats. Does anyone have goats? Any tips or tricks for a novice?
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/Image2_zpse4e70255.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/Image_zpsfc3d4dff.jpg

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2013-06-19 18:22:34

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-06-19 23:15:46

Micah and Kiah

Re: Nigerian Dwarf Goats

Beautiful.  Milking goats or pets?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#3 2013-06-19 23:23:35

NaturesPace
Website

They will be milking goats, but they are only 3 months old now.

#4 2013-06-20 00:07:34

gubi
Website

We have one boer goat.  Used to have 4-5 but sold them all last year but the buyer for the doeling backed out so we kept her back for the kids.  She now lives with the Sheep and is doing very well.  Goats love to jump fences and climb gates.  I used to string a line of balertwine about 6 inches above the electronet to make them think the fence is taller to keep them in because they jumped out all the time.  We had them in the shed in a large pen but they had no problem getting across a 4' plywood to get out.  One thing we found is goats are very susceptible to worms. 

Goats will trim your evergreens until there is nothing left of the trees.  They are great however to clean up land that has a lot of shrubs growing on it.  They are browsers more then grazers.  And after they jump the fence love nothing more then to nibble on everything in the garden!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2013-06-20 00:18:36

gubi
Website

And just as I checked out another chicken site I see this. 
http://wcps.forumotion.ca/t7987-sk-goats-for-sale

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2013-06-20 00:40:35

NaturesPace
Website

:funny:
We know they are prone to getting out of their fencing. We have 48" electro netting and this is what they grew up on, so I'm hoping it will continue to work well.

#7 2013-06-20 00:43:22

NaturesPace
Website

Also they will only be 17 - 19 inches at their withers, when they are full grown, so I'm hoping a high fence will work.

#8 2013-06-20 00:47:45

poplar girl
Administrator

We just finally picked up our goats last weekend so I only know what I've learned in a week =D

We purchased a just freshened Saanen doe and an unrelated mixed dairy breed doeling. It only took a 2 days for the doe to fully adopt her new daughter. We made sure to buy them from a CAE free home. We are feeding good quality alfalfa/timothy hay, if we had it we would feed straight alfalfa. Plus some cracked barley to the doe as that's what she was getting prior to coming here. I don't know what your soils are like but goats are susceptible to mineral deficiencies for nutrients like copper and selenium. I understand cobalt is also important. Young animals need a dry but well ventilated place to shelter. We built a verticle board fence, similar to a backyard fence, as their permed ant/winter enclosure so we can be sure they will stay in and to provide some wind shelter. I think for Nigerians 4 ft high should be tall enough but ours is taller. And kids can get through some pretty small holes...

Hope that's all correct. appway know LOTS about goats so maybe he will see your post and help us both out with some information.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2013-06-20 01:07:53

NaturesPace
Website

PG, congrats on you new goats. I've found a good source for goat minerals. Still need to find good hay, but I got alfalfa cubes. It says you can soak them and feed it just like a flake of hay. It's expensive, but it what I have for now. We will also provide sodium bicarbonate.

http://www.chaffhaye.com Is something that the current owners feed as a supplement, too.

The herd is free from CAE and johnes disease. They are also registered, so I know their lineage.

#10 2013-06-20 05:23:24

Lady leghorn
Website

Goats also need Iodine in their diet, or they can get goiters.    When we had our herd of reg. togs, we had a 5 foot fence made out of 2x4 welded mesh. 

Never had a problem with escapes.   Unfortunately things like stucco wire are un-safe, they can tear holes in the fence and pieces of wire will stick out.  Can harm not only them, but

you as well.  I know they are not big, but start them off with a good fence and you won't ever have problems.  Good Luck, they are beautiful does.   Handle the udders lots on them

lots, right away, then when it comes time to milk, they are used to you touching them.   I do miss our girls.

#11 2013-06-20 05:32:41

NaturesPace
Website

I just looked at the minerals and it has kelp. I'm sure that's for the iodine. Thanks for the advice.

#12 2013-06-20 11:02:38

Flat Rock Farm

I don't have goats but they are adorable :love: :congrats: on your new additions!!!

#13 2013-06-26 14:13:09

Little Boy Blue
Website

When we moved to some acerage in the country 3 years ago I wanted to get Dairy Goats.  I got several book on them which I studied with great enthusiam.  We were going to get our yard landscaped the first spring, our yard fenced in the first summer and our perimeter fence for goats done the first fall.  Well...as our lives got buisness and expected time lines got delaid my wife desided that she would just go and get a few chickens to throw out in the yard so that we would have some typ of livestock to show for.  Now we are so busy with chickens that we don't know if we have time for dairy goats. 

We still talk about "when" we get Nigerian Dwarfs or Kinders>  :-) 

My brother got some dairy goats last month though.  He didn't get any goat books or read or do any research on them them so he calls me about once a week with questions.  It is ironic that people with goats (not just my brother) ask me questions about them.  Some day. 

I just wish my brother didn't live 1000 miles away so we could get milk from him.  I lived on goat milk for 2 years thanks to college room-mate's little sister's 4H project.  I would love to have a supply of goat milk again.  :-)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

Adverts

Board footer