Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-05-19 14:28:44

gubi
Website

some of my hens

Not much going on here today no posts in the last 2 days so I thought I would kick start the forum with some pictures of my EO's

My oldest girl she was hatched in 2010 and is still laying very well and gets around like everyone else despite having a sever club foot.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/942967_10151398791636227_2022871189_n.jpg

My 2 blondie hens from 2011
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/945046_10151398791581227_1539251085_n.jpg

My favorite pullet from 2012 she is huge and lays a massive egg 3 out of every 4 days!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/376939_10151398791671227_1655330423_n.jpg

The cockerel that I have mated with the above hen.  I have 10 eggs in the incubator from this pair.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/942958_10151398791511227_1856377475_n.jpg

One of my 2011 hens that is possible for sale.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/971134_10151398791261227_731904390_n.jpg

a 2012 pullet that could be possible for sale.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/603959_10151398791296227_822207285_n.jpg

another 2012 pullet that could be possible for sale.  These two have nice yellow legs and are a very light coloured marradunna,blondie?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/922999_10151398791366227_680770409_n.jpg

3 of my spitzoiloa pullets that are for sale.  They have the EO boldness and friendliness.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/922978_10151398813611227_994216713_n.jpg

BLRW from the 2010 egg exchange with Claire.  The hen in front is the honey colored hen from 2011 with the white legs.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/969529_10151398791956227_2138488540_n.jpg

One of my layer EO's from 2011, she had injured her left leg when the barn they were housed in blew over in a windstorm as a young pullet but lays well and the only way you can tell is by the angle of her left leg.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/944489_10151398791716227_1344315_n.jpg

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

2013-05-19 14:28:44

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-05-19 14:46:40

Micah and Kiah

Re: some of my hens

They are all lovely Gubi!  They have such a healthy, loving home too. I know of a couple looking for hens/pullets ready to lay or older so I will let them know about your hens for sale.  Could you PM me their price?
Your three girls here are on strike   :banginghead:  elevator was getting so amourous that I needed to put saddles on the girls.  They hate the saddles and have stopped laying.  Today I'll incubate the eggs that I was able to get before the strike and you can have your pick of his older chicks.  The oldest is a four week old cockeral that looks just like his dad but no signs of sprigs.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#3 2013-05-19 16:23:42

Flat Rock Farm

Lovely birds gubi :thumbsup:.  I wish I had room for the spitzoiloas they are really neat looking, love the head gear :love:  I have one EO X Coronation Sussex and one Maran X Coronation Sussex in the incubator, will be curious to see how they turn out.

Yes I agree has been too quite on here, I know it's a busy time of year for everyone.  I know I have been trying to get ALL my gardens done and has been taking up most of what spare time I have.

#4 2013-05-19 21:11:28

NaturesPace
Website

Thanks for the photos! nice looking birds. Love the size of your girls. Most of mine are small. My biggest girl has white legs, a crooked toe and is deer colored. I have one girl that looks a lot like your first photo and see lays really well.

My DH has said he likes the BLRW so maybe I can get more chickens. not now!!! stop trying to convince me that i need more chickens... but they are so pretty. :banginghead: (that might have been a little conversation i just had with myself) :Crazy:

I just ordered up a few saddles for my girls. they are getting ridden a little to hard too. I'm afraid they are going to get sunburned.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2013-05-19 23:24:57

gubi
Website

Thanks guys, M & K maybe you need some more hens to keep Elevator busy now that he figured it out.;)  They always seem to go on strike when we want eggs.  currently I am getting more eggs then I need so I need to sell a few hens.  I also have been hatching a lot so should start to think about downsizing and not filling the incubator again like I did yesterday again.  :chairhide:  I had the EO eggs from this pair and since the incubator is running I put all the rest of the spitz eggs in there too.  In my defence I did bump my Spitz eggs for sale add on PSO before I filled it up.
I'm getting much better consistency in colour this year with the EO's then last year.  One oddity I have had for colour is a pullet that appears to be gorria?!?  Never hatched a gorria before.  Unfortunately I had poor hatch-rates and a lot of white legs and lots of cockerels too. 

FRF a coro EO could be interesting too.  Maybe that could be a start with the Zillara's.  We have been busy too the last few weeks with getting all the crops in an the bred heifers and the dry cows out to pasture.  We also have had lots of calves this week.  What a change in weather from last weekend.  Last Sunday we had snow that stuck around until Monday morning and today it was hot and humid!  It is currently +27C with a humidex of 33! 

naturespase I hatched a whole lot last year to get to select what to keep.  I think with this breed we will need to hatch all we can for a few years and select the best to keep.  I only have 2 BLRW hens for a bit of variety in my flock but I think they are nice too.  I don't know how well they lay but I don't see them in the nests that often.  They are another breed that seems to mature nicely just like the EO's they look better every year.

I find chickens pretty hardy even if they are missing a lot of feathers, just think of the Turkens they seem to be wild in tropical countries.  I don't know if they get sun burnt but I know they can get pretty red on the exposed areas.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2013-05-20 01:14:18

poplar girl
Administrator

:thumbs: thanks for talking the time to post pictures gubi, it has been super quiet on the forum. You have some very nice EOs there. I also love their size.

Not sure how a gorria would pop up...if everyone is barred they should stay barred. I have noticed that the range of color is huge. I have pullets this year for the first time that are almost white, some blondies, honey colored pullets that i would say are my idea of proper marraduna, some almost orange that I am not sure are barred, medium red that I consider proper gorria, and then some really dark red with a lot of black. I hope i can manage to find time to take pictures as the off colored pullets are going to a sale to hopefully find good homes next weekend. My long weekend has been cut short by a trip to Vancouver for work, I leave tomorrow :(

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2013-05-20 14:56:15

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:pics: Gubi, nice pics! :love:  lt is a lot like looking at my own flock, same sizes and colours and faces  My blondies are more slender (3 from last year and the original girl who is 5 years old now!) : EO: I have 3 hens that look like your first girl. 

We have all the birds moved up here now, I may take some pics, but another few weeks and they should look much better, some of the black pennies have the baboon butt thing going on!  Mine look like they have been ridden, but keeping them in the barn so long and shut up in their runs because of the barn construction, they have picked each other a  bit, though there was one TPC roo.   It is fascinating seeing last years young with my old girls (there were kept apart all winter, some upstairs, some downstairs).  I am getting a good idea of which daughter comes form which mom and grandmom.  It is neat to see the similarities in shape and colour and temperament. 

Good luck with the hatch :thumbs:

#8 2013-05-20 23:30:20

gubi
Website

How about the cockerels PG are they all over the map with colour too?  I find the cockerels are very uniform in colour this year with nice red chests, my pullets not so much.  I  only have 4.  2 appear marraduna, 1 gorria and one a millie with lots of white.  How are the Elevator chicks looking at your place?  Have fun in Vancouver.

Claire my two 2011 blondie hens, that I hatched form eggs from Curly and his hens are big girls however the two 1 year old hens are more slender too.  I have couple here too with the baboon but as you call it. 

Did anyone notice the clavel comb on my first girl?  You can see it well in that picture.

#9 2013-05-30 12:37:31

Amblecroft
Website

Always terrific to see pictures of our great EOs  :EO:

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#10 2013-05-31 00:07:51

poplar girl
Administrator

gubi wrote:

How about the cockerels PG are they all over the map with colour too?  I find the cockerels are very uniform in colour this year with nice red chests, my pullets not so much.  I  only have 4.  2 appear marraduna, 1 gorria and one a millie with lots of white.  How are the Elevator chicks looking at your place?  Have fun in Vancouver.

I missed responding to this gubi. Cockerels I have about the same amount of color variability as the pullets. The colors seem to be highly correlated to the pair. One pair is resulting in mostly cockerels and pullets that are very white. Another in birds that have a lot of black or are this strange red/white splash pattern. Another lots of grey or black. And a few pair mating in mostly nicely colored gorria or marraduna.

I looked at the picture of the gorria you sent. I think she is just a very dark honey colored marraduna but I could be wrong. She is definately barred just a deep redish blonde.

And a few nicely colored, nice sized and friendly personalities chicks in the Elevator group.

I have to say I don't mind the breed is a work in progress. I just home I am progressing them in the right direction :P

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2013-05-31 01:29:07

pops coops
Website

Nice birds, I will have to post some pics of the flock now that they are out and about, down to breeding Orpingtons and Marans and then I am done exept for Peafowl and Guineas and turkeys, OH I may not be done

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#12 2013-06-08 12:28:12

choctawgal
Website

gubi wrote:

3 of my spitzoiloa pullets that are for sale.  They have the EO boldness and friendliness.

Wow, Gubi!  They are gorgeous "Spitzoiloa!"  :thumbsup:  I have 12+ Appenzeller Spitzhauben eggs on the way, (White w/black) and now I'm already anxious to see how a cross between them and my Recessive White roo looks!  Love that they keep the boldness and friendliness!  I can hardly wait til next year's hatch!  ;)

I currently have 12 eggs from my Birchen Influenced Cuckoo, Double tufted Araucana roo over 3 Naked Neck hens, plus 12 EO eggs, 13 Cuckoo Araucana (who candled fertile, HOORAY!!... the last Araucana roo had 6 DOZ candle clear before he went to freezer camp), 7 Charcoal gray Araucana (1st candling tomorrow) in the bator.  Lockdown for the NN/Araucana is tomorrow!  It should prove very interesting.  LOL

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#13 2013-06-08 17:10:23

Flat Rock Farm

Wow Jenn those are some interesting mixes :shock: will need some :pics:

Adverts

Board footer