Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-25 12:20:01

Lisa

How long can eggs be cold?

So we had a beautiful thunderstorm yesterday in my neighborhood! Gorgeous light show, not too much thunder. Took out the power for a few seconds, twice.

Didn't think anything of it - until Doug went downstairs and noticed the POWER BAR ATTACHED TO THE INCUBATOR HAD BEEN TRIPPED AND WAS OFF!!!!!:banginghead:

So, the incubator was cooling for about 4 1/2 hours. When Doug found it, the temp was down to 78.5 degrees. Not sure how fast it dropped. We are about half-way through the incubation process. Guesses anybody? Are my chickies still alive???

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-08-25 12:20:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-25 12:50:11

gubi
Website

Re: How long can eggs be cold?

They should be fine.  Hens leave their nests for hours at times too. They might hatch a bit later though.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-08-25 14:02:42

Susan
Administrator

Yes, I bet they are okay as well

#4 2011-08-25 18:02:45

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

They should be fine it didn't go very low they would not even be very cold.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#5 2011-08-26 00:27:20

poplar girl
Administrator

Give them the benefit of the doubt and remain hopeful. Eggs are amazingly resilient.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2011-08-26 00:47:45

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Lisa, doesn't sound too bad really, I think we've had some stone cold ones hatch...Nathan says at least a dozen Jim babies and one Blondie baby so far.  Those lav ameraucanas are too darn reckless.  Nathan  said  a baby was cold and half hatched this morning so he shoved it back under the naughty girls.  There were two stone cold eggs on the weekend and both had movement when I candled, so hope yours are just fine.  If any will be OK  it'll be the Euskal oiloak because :EO:.

Adverts

Board footer