Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-25 00:56:19

Flat Rock Farm

Anyone seen these before??

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/legbar-roo2.jpg

It's a Cream Legbar from Greenfire farm in Florida, they look soo much like an EO rooster.  Wondering if they are related??

2011-08-25 00:56:19

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-25 01:07:41

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Anyone seen these before??

Definitely some similarities in feather and shank color. White earlobes though and of course a leghorn body type. I do love the color. I guess all chickens are related if you go WAY back but not sure how related.

I really wish I knew the right amount of grey for a EO rooster. Some of mine would be as grey as the above leghorn. One 6 week old has NO grey, I thought he was a nice big pullet until the comb came in. Black on the hackles and tail and wings but nice barred brown everywhere else. I'll have to post pictures.

So much to learn!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-08-25 01:26:29

gubi
Website

I don't think they are related.  These guys are supposed to have a small crest behind the comb and lay blue eggs.  I believe they are an extremly rare auto sexing breed from England,  Maybe Claire has seen them before?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2011-08-25 01:31:19

poplar girl
Administrator

Awe....blue eggs...now I want one!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-08-25 03:00:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Poplar, you need quiet friendly cuddly wheaten Ameraucanas for blue eggs!  Though their eggs are pale I think they are the most beautiful chickens I own and sweet like the dorks. The lavenders are closer to batty but have a darker egg. :doI?:

I hadn't seen the legbars when I lived in the UK, but I wasn't as chicken crazy :Crazy: then as I am now!

#6 2011-08-25 03:34:03

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

I was intersted in them for a little they are a cross between  Brown Leghorns and Barred Rocks with Araucanas. They are auto sexing and breed true I would get some if I could find some but they are very rare and I can't find them.

Last edited by JaerhonChanteclerEuskies (2011-08-25 03:34:46)

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#7 2011-08-25 03:37:48

poplar girl
Administrator

It might seem a bit strange if I owned offspring of EVERY breed of chickens you own Claire! Three so far!!

There is no two ways about it, I need a bigger winter coop.

Hello my name is Poplar Girls and I have a chicken addiction?

I want jaerhons from JCE. I want wheaten ameraucaunas from SLF. I want MORE of all breeds I already have!
Oh my :oops:

#8 2011-08-25 03:42:21

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I have done all the trial and error for you!  I want Jaerhorns too :love:

#9 2011-08-25 12:43:16

Flat Rock Farm

I just thought it was interesting as they look so close, the pair I just sold, the rooster was almost identical in markings. They do look smaller, and I thought it was cool that they lay a blue egg.  The hens seem to have a little tuft on the top of their head.

#10 2011-08-25 14:00:46

Susan
Administrator

Either JCE or I can send you Jaerhorn eggs next year ladies..... They're little and one more breed never hurts lol! :)

#11 2011-08-25 16:04:39

3riverschick
Website

poplar girl wrote:

Definitely some similarities in feather and shank color. White earlobes though and of course a leghorn body type. I do love the color. I guess all chickens are related if you go WAY back but not sure how related.

I really wish I knew the right amount of grey for a EO rooster. Some of mine would be as grey as the above leghorn. One 6 week old has NO grey, I thought he was a nice big pullet until the comb came in. Black on the hackles and tail and wings but nice barred brown everywhere else. I'll have to post pictures.

So much to learn!

=================
Hi Poplar Girl,
I was reading the research papers online about Vasca and Basque  poultry. From what I read, the EO Marraduna rooster
is supposed to be  gold barred except for black and white barring on the hackle, wings, and tail.
Best,
Karen in western PA

Karen Tewart
"The present is best served when we remember the past."

#12 2011-08-25 18:11:33

gubi
Website

Susan wrote:

Either JCE or I can send you Jaerhorn eggs next year ladies..... They're little and one more breed never hurts lol! :)

I'm still waiting for some pictures from you guys and the ladies probably too! :thumbsup:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#13 2011-08-25 20:27:34

Flat Rock Farm

Susan wrote:

Susan that's a true sign of a chic-a-holic, on another site we call it the CAA "Chicken Addicts Anonymous"  Why does there have to be all these pretty chickens????? :banginghead:

#14 2011-08-26 00:25:43

poplar girl
Administrator

I already managed to turn down JCE once...he offered to trade me a pair of Jaerhorns for EOs last week. I gotta tell you Susan, it took ALL my willpower. If it was spring instead of almost fall I would have never been able to resist. You are SO an enabler just like SLF. Jaerhorns are so pretty and cute...

3riverchick, thanks, I am really interested to see how my younger Roos feather out. I have chosen about 4 to keep, all different shades that I think might be close to the right one so it will be interesting. I think most marraduna EOs i have seen have too much grey and white, not enough gold. I will post pictures and certainly value others thoughts.

#15 2011-08-26 01:02:51

Flat Rock Farm

PG That's why I just sold the pair I had, the rooster and hen were very grey.   They were beautiful but not the "type" I have heard/seen that EO's are supposed to be.  I have kept the two roosters that have the gold and the hens that are the wheaton/brown colour.
It's funny I have two French Wheaton Maran pullets and they almost look like my EO pullets except for the feathered legs, LOL

#16 2011-08-26 01:30:29

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

gubi wrote:

Susan wrote:

I'm still waiting for some pictures from you guys and the ladies probably too! :thumbsup:

I think I am getting another camera very soon our older one just went and fell apeart in my hands and the other is in the US getting reapired.
Edit: I do have some pictures that are a month old I can post them I did want to do a comparison with them and the EOs size and other things.

Last edited by JaerhonChanteclerEuskies (2011-08-26 01:32:21)

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#17 2011-08-26 03:29:21

Skylinepoultry
Website

poplar girl wrote:

It might seem a bit strange if I owned offspring of EVERY breed of chickens you own Claire! Three so far!!

There is no two ways about it, I need a bigger winter coop.

Hello my name is Poplar Girls and I have a chicken addiction?

I want jaerhons from JCE. I want wheaten ameraucaunas from SLF. I want MORE of all breeds I already have!
Oh my :oops:

Don't feel bad. I'm a chicken addict too.

#18 2011-10-08 01:23:45

texastinsel

Susan....I want some eggs from you in the Spring please!!!

#19 2011-10-08 01:49:11

Susan
Administrator

We'll have to see if we can figure out how to send eggs across the border :) glad to meet you texastinsel :)

#20 2011-10-08 02:37:56

texastinsel

I guess I need to work on that huh???!!!!

No joking...let's chat on this....

#21 2011-10-08 04:27:31

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

texastinsel, I got my original birds from some hatchery in Texas and can't remember the name but it would be alot easier to get the day old chicks from there than to ship eggs across the border. But if you do want to ship Susan or I can get you the eggs, if we can get them over the border. :huh:

Last edited by JaerhonChanteclerEuskies (2011-10-08 04:28:59)

#22 2011-10-08 21:00:36

Susan
Administrator

We'll chat! Pm me anytime :) Meanwhile, I'll add you to my waiting list for now. I'm hoping to start in February again. :)

#23 2011-10-09 00:50:20

texastinsel

Y'all are so awesome!!!  Yes, on the waiting list...in regards to the breeder in Texas...I so would love have the contact info!!

I guess I need y'all to educate me on the complexities of getting eggs across the border.  Pretty difficult from Canada to US?
:oops:

#24 2011-10-14 23:30:42

Susan
Administrator

I believe it was Ideal hatchery sorry I was thinking you were wanting EOs. If its Jaerhorns you want, you would be better off getting them from JCE. He has a flock to choose breeding stock from. I just have 2 pairs here as his back up if he ever lost his. I may breed them next year, but not in huge numbers :) I can show him how to ship eggs.

#25 2011-10-15 00:04:04

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Yes shipping eggs will be easy but I don't know how to ship eggs across the border I will look for the hatchery in Texas. Yes it was Ideal.

Last edited by JaerhonChanteclerEuskies (2011-10-15 00:07:23)

Adverts

Board footer