Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-23 01:41:24

Lisa

Chickwatch..... Week One

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to spread the joy and anticipation (and nerves!) that comes with hatching EO eggs! :jumping:

I picked up eggs from Claire a week ago (see "Lovely Day" thread!). Just candled. The six eggs under my Australorp broody from Jim's line - all good to go! (Sweet Pea is doing a great job....). Of the seven from the Blondie line in the incubator, 6 are good. Of the other 19 from Jim's line in the incubator, a whopping 18 are good to go! Claire, your birds are ridiculously fertile and hardy!! :happycrowd"

Of the "bonus" eggs (found in the barnyard that day), 2 of 3 lavendar d'uccles are good - including one of the eggs we found in the killing cone! Talk about ironic.....

And the miscellaneous, maybe americauna cross that we found is also doing well!

So exciting....

Stay tuned for the next installment! And super keen to see how Claire's hatch goes - wondering if any of my eggs will hatch out Maradunna/D'uccle crosses..... little purple barred chickens????? That are even sweeter than EO's??????? Could be a niche for that.....:lol:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-08-23 01:41:24

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-23 01:58:45

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Chickwatch..... Week One

Purple barred chickens with lavender d'uccle daddies and EO mommas :love: gosh I hope so!

So very excited for you! I can hardly wait to start hatching again next spring!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-08-23 02:20:52

Island Girl

OK Lisa, I'm in this with you. Maybe a daily update =D My eggs are on their way. Tonight is the big incubator clean up etc. I can't remember when I last was so excited (oh yah, just remembered, last hatch!! :P ) I am excited for you for all the fertile eggs you got from Claire, I hope mine are too! It will be interesting to see if traveling so far to get to me will make a difference in hatch-ability. I am really looking forward to trying the EOs as I just love a friendly bird. Here are happy thoughts for all of our hatching :love: I can't wait to see Claire's new hatch!

XOX Monika

#4 2011-08-23 02:38:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:happycrowd" How exciting! What fertile chooks! :thumbs:  I think my Blondie eggs maybe only have 2 likelies out of 6 as they were only in only a few days before I collected.  My reckless ameraucanas have Jims eggs and nearly every one looks like a likely as far as I could tell "daylight candling" It will be interesting to see what we get, purple striped and feathery legs?  My little purple dude does try hard! :chook:

Monika, people have had surprisingly good hatches with shipped EO eggs but I think the furthest I shipped EOs was Poplars sent to Alberta.  Last spring, Barney in Manitoba got all but 2 black penny and Eos hatch out of about 32 eggs if I remember rightly.  I hope they travel well.  Nathan said they went just fine.  :jumping:

#5 2011-08-23 02:48:25

Susan
Administrator

Awesome ladies!! Keep us posted, I'm sure it will be a great hatch!!

#6 2011-08-23 22:29:24

Flat Rock Farm

Very exciting Lisa, keep us updated, and when they hatch pictures, please :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer