Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-03-20 16:10:04

riverbendfarm
Website

Not an EO Question...but worthwhile in general:

I am raising Black Penedesencas as well as EO's and have noticed what appear to be white markings on some chicks that look like barring. Is this sort of thing something that occasionally happens with black chicken breeds? Have I missed some hen's "midnight rendezvous"? I'm a little shocked :shock:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

2013-03-20 16:10:04

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-03-28 14:03:10

Little Boy Blue
Website

Re: Not an EO Question...but worthwhile in general:

Yes...I have seen this on my Black Copper Marans too.  When I posted photos on the Marans Forums (see below) two very knowlegable breeders commented that it looked like I had a line based on Cuckoo Marans, but I couldn't get either of them to explain how they arrived at that conclusion.  The founder of the line confirmed to me that he used an imported Black Copper Marans Rooster over Cuckoo Marans hens and thought that there would probablly be problems (but that no line is perfect).  I am not sure how the the white tips relate to the cuckoo blood since the barring gene was oviously breed out, but the founder of the line told me that it showed up quite a bit in the line and advised me NOT to use the pullets with the white tips as a breeder.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/11913952/sn/397654829/name/Photo+3.jpg
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/11913952/sn/1362004034/name/photo+1.jpg
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/11913952/sn/1338944633/name/Photo+2.jpg

NOTE:  This Pullet didn't end up showing any white tips after about 12 weeks.  They white tips showed up at about 6-8 weeks and was short lived.

NOTE:  Yes those are EO in the background.

Back to EO's....many people think that our EO's we out crossed to Penedensecas.  After seeing a Wheaten X Partridge Penedenseca on FeatherSite that looks just like our Mille Fluer EO's I was convinced that the Penedenseca line have the same white tip lacing in them that I had observed in my Black Copper Marans.  Since the Partridge and and Crele line are probablly mixed a lot to bring in vigor, the Partrige line could be based on a barred crele line in the same way my BCM were based on a Cuckoo line. I am still now sure what is in the cuckoo/crele barred lines (or the Marraduna barred lines for that matter) that create the white tips, but it is something to think about.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2013-03-28 14:20:23)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#3 2013-03-28 14:35:04

Micah and Kiah

LBB, you sure surprised me!  I visited the site you mentioned and yep... the Crele sure looks very Maraduna with the exceptions of leg colour and egg colour.  The mille variety made from the cross looks familiar too.  Are EO and Pendescencas part of the same broad group or very closely relate?...

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#4 2013-03-28 22:49:43

riverbendfarm
Website

EOs and Pendesencas come from adjacent, or very nearly so, regions of northern Spain. I'm guessing they share a lot of genetics in general as both breeds are very very old.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

Adverts

Board footer