Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2013-03-16 11:36:26

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Waiting for pips

I am sure you will have some hatch today :hatch:

2013-03-16 11:36:26

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2013-03-16 13:35:58

poplar girl
Administrator

I know how you feel dahlisgrams! I hope they are out this morning like beautiful little fluffy popcorn.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#28 2013-03-16 14:07:17

yardbirds

sending good hatching vibes your way.... :chickout:  :thumbsup:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#29 2013-03-18 01:58:32

dahlisgrams

Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone.. it was a very rough hatch. Worst I've had.... They were pipped for 36-48 hours before hatching, some died after zipping completely. Had to cull 5 for various issues, including intestines outside the body, one that could not walk but seemed to flap it's legs like paddles and two EOs with SEVERE splay leg or what appears to be splay.. could be dislocated joints though, in reality. Legs in all directions even while resting. Two like this and one just not right at all. I have to wonder if it could possibly be related to inbreeding. It is possible that the parents were brother and sister. I did not hatch them so I cannot say for sure but the possibility is there. The 3 that remain are doing fine. Walking normally, eating, drinking, interacting with the others. I don't believe I'll be breeding them no matter what though. Just doesn't seem worth the risk that it is inbreeding depression. It was a very sad day but I'm glad the chicks that made it through are okay.

The two that I hatched earlier in this thread are both feathering in with grey on the wings. The one I thought might be rw isn't. No warmth to the colors whatsoever though. Is this an indication of lady/lord grey at this stage? It's been so long since I've had EO chicks I cannot even recall. Plus I'm sleep deprived.. lol

Put 10 EO eggs from MD into lockdown tonight and I'm super excited about them. Just hope it wasn't a temp spike or something that caused the other chicks issues and that I don't have the same troubles in this hatch coming up... :nervous:

#30 2013-03-18 03:31:50

Lindy Lou

We had to cull two EO chicks with badly splayed legs. I think it was because I had temperature problems and couldn't keep the temperature on line. My hatch was delayed by almost two days and some took a long time to hatch out once pipped. I had four eggs that had fully formed chicks inside that made no attempt to pip.
I don't think it is an inbreeding problem but I'm not an expert by any degree. From what I've read a lot seems to do with incorrect temperature during the gestation period.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#31 2013-03-18 04:07:17

dahlisgrams

Lindy Lou wrote:

We had to cull two EO chicks with badly splayed legs. I think it was because I had temperature problems and couldn't keep the temperature on line. My hatch was delayed by almost two days and some took a long time to hatch out once pipped. I had four eggs that had fully formed chicks inside that made no attempt to pip.
I don't think it is an inbreeding problem but I'm not an expert by any degree. From what I've read a lot seems to do with incorrect temperature during the gestation period.

I hope it wasn't temperature related!!!! :sad:

#32 2013-03-18 12:26:42

Maggiesdad

I'm seeing problems here, too.  Overall, my hatches are much better in the sportsman than in the styrobator, but my mixed breeds and Black Australorps are popping right out, the problems are with the basques. I'm seeing, blood rings, curled toes, wonky motor issues(chicks burrowing in the chips like moles), early pips and delayed hatches, and fully developed and dead in the shell. To me, this all points to inbreeding. An interesting note, the chicks from Yellow's pen hatched within a few hours of each other, no issues. But my Black pen had the problems listed above (through three different hatches). One girl's eggs are simply not fertile, DG noticed the same thing.

But because I'm not trying to build an egglaying flock, and I have a sportsman, I am undaunted. If Dr. Crawford could do this with the HYs, we can do this. 'cuz I know sumbuddy that know's Dr. C!  ;)

We got 27 snowflakes last night at 33°F  - NO SCHOOL TODAY - BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!  :excited:

I'm ok - really.

#33 2013-03-18 13:18:58

gubi
Website

EO's seem to be sensitive to imperfect incubation.  I have lots of problems last year too with the curled toes but never under a broodie hen.  I upgraded my incubator to a rollX this year and will know a bit more by the end of the week!  I have 2 hova's an old still air and a new forced air and I had very few curled toes in the forced air but lots in the two hatches in the still air.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#34 2013-03-18 13:49:32

poplar girl
Administrator

Hum. I am going to say my problems with my EO hatch are not inbreeding, incubator issues. The genetics in the US are probably narrower than mine here though and it certainly wouldn't be surprising if we started to see inbreeding issues.

Either way it certainly isn't pleasant to have poor hatches, very disappointing and heartbreaking in fact! Guess you appreciate the little miracles that do make it that much more but still.

I hope this trend of difficult hatches stops and everyone has great success the rest of the spring!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#35 2013-03-18 16:42:42

mikencarol

Gubi....you know more about these birds than I do....but....so far (knock-on-wood)....I haven't had any issues with their incubation.  This year I have only hatched birds from My GFF breeders...but last year I hatched 'Bought' eggs that were a a combination of GFF and Skyline birds....I hatched in a big incubator...but I also used my Rollx that I've had since the 70's.  I upgraded mine to a digital thermostat, and added a Hygrometer but I bet you get a good hatch with yours.  There is an incubation seminar on-line by Dr. Keith Bramwell from the University of Arkansas Poultry Departmen that I think it a REALLY GOOD thing to listen to...it really helped me know what is going on with my incubation.....:thumbs:....:hatch:........Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#36 2013-03-18 23:42:01

Susan
Administrator

Guess I had better make a date with Dr C for a chat Md. I think inbreeding issues are going to crop up increasingly as more people are hatching Eos.

#37 2013-03-20 09:18:53

dahlisgrams

Just a very brief hatch update.. 4 have now hatched from MD's eggs and so far so good!! Photos once they're dry. 5 more pipped. I'm so happy!! :cheer:

More later... :wise:

#38 2013-03-20 10:11:29

Flat Rock Farm

WooHoo sounds like they are poppin like popcorn :excited:

#39 2013-03-20 11:59:07

Maggiesdad

:happycrowd"

#40 2013-03-20 12:16:30

yardbirds

:congrats: can't wait to see pics... :thumbsup:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#41 2013-03-20 12:44:00

Susan
Administrator

Great news!

#42 2013-03-20 16:52:42

dahlisgrams

9 have hatched, leaving one egg still unpipped.. Amazing!!!! :thumbsup: They all look very healthy and are still drying off in the nursery brooder. I'll get photos when they're fluffy and cute. 2 from Black pen and 7 from Yellow. I'm so excited! Thank you, MD!!!!! :happycrowd":excited:

I have to wonder if the bad hatch was temp/humidity issues and a bit of inbreeding. Something to consider. More on this later..

#43 2013-03-20 17:56:08

yardbirds

:congrats:  again  am glad this batch was successful.  Now I am new to incubating but am thinking (without knowing) that maybe part of the problem was staggered hatch dates in the incubator? It is difficult enough with one hatch and lockdown and stopping turning of the eggs and humidity factors etc.. You had mentioned you had lockdown on March 07th, 13th, and 17th.  I don't know what kind of incubator you have and are using and whether the chicks are hatching in a separate hatcher or in the incubator with eggs still developing.  If in the later case, maybe some of the problems could be bacterial as the remnants of hatch day start to foul with the temps and humidity.  Like I said...I don't know the situation, and could be way off base.  Am happy this hatch was successful.  :thumbsup:

#44 2013-03-20 19:24:04

dahlisgrams

yardbirds wrote:

:congrats:  again  am glad this batch was successful.  Now I am new to incubating but am thinking (without knowing) that maybe part of the problem was staggered hatch dates in the incubator? It is difficult enough with one hatch and lockdown and stopping turning of the eggs and humidity factors etc.. You had mentioned you had lockdown on March 07th, 13th, and 17th.  I don't know what kind of incubator you have and are using and whether the chicks are hatching in a separate hatcher or in the incubator with eggs still developing.  If in the later case, maybe some of the problems could be bacterial as the remnants of hatch day start to foul with the temps and humidity.  Like I said...I don't know the situation, and could be way off base.  Am happy this hatch was successful.  :thumbsup:

Good thinking! The way I have things set up for incubating/hatching is this.. 3 tabletop incubators and a separate hatcher that I thoroughly disinfect with antibacterial soap and copious amounts of oxine after cleaning. I incubate the eggs and when they are within about 3 days of hatch, I transfer them to the cleaned and disinfected hatcher and bump humidity right before I suspect they'll begin to pip. I don't use the incubators for hatching but clean them out periodically too. I also use a little oxine in the water I add to the incubators but try to add as little water as necessary in general. I suspect that the humidity was a little too high for the bad hatch though it didn't seem excessively so... not rocket science for sure. This hatch I had less overal relative humidity and it seemed to go well. They pipped and hatched within about 12 hours rather than the 24-40 hours between pip and hatch for the poor hatch. These are the first EO eggs I've set and each breed seems to require slightly unique conditions so there is always a bit of a learning curve. I'm okay with that since it will help future hatches go more smoothly. I'm pretty new to hatching too and each hatch seems to teach me something! :wise:

All things considered, I still feel that inbreeding played a role in the poor hatch from the second set of EO eggs. The chicks that made it through seem healthy enough but I'm not sure if I'll be attempting to breed any of them unless they turn out to be really outstanding. They're still too small too tell..

The last egg from the Black pen still hasn't pipped. Not sure if it will.. guess I'll just wait and see. :surfing:

#45 2013-03-20 19:25:28

dahlisgrams

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

WooHoo sounds like they are poppin like popcorn :excited:

Pretty much! Yay!! :hatch::jumping:

#46 2013-03-20 20:39:44

yardbirds

dahlisgrams wrote

"The way I have things set up for incubating/hatching is this.. 3 tabletop incubators and a separate hatcher that I thoroughly disinfect with antibacterial soap and copious amounts of oxine after cleaning. I incubate the eggs and when they are within about 3 days of hatch, I transfer them to the cleaned and disinfected hatcher and bump humidity right before I suspect they'll begin to pip. I don't use the incubators for hatching but clean them out periodically too."

Thanks for explaining your setup....now I feel foolish... :chairhide:  =D  :thanks:

#47 2013-03-20 20:49:53

dahlisgrams

yardbirds wrote:

dahlisgrams wrote

"The way I have things set up for incubating/hatching is this.. 3 tabletop incubators and a separate hatcher that I thoroughly disinfect with antibacterial soap and copious amounts of oxine after cleaning. I incubate the eggs and when they are within about 3 days of hatch, I transfer them to the cleaned and disinfected hatcher and bump humidity right before I suspect they'll begin to pip. I don't use the incubators for hatching but clean them out periodically too."

Thanks for explaining your setup....now I feel foolish... :chairhide:  =D  :thanks:

Not foolish at all! I should have been more clear but I thought you made an excellent and extremely valid point. Thank you!! :wise:

#48 2013-03-20 21:34:16

yardbirds

:jumping:  now lets hope my impending hatch goes off without a hitch... :lol:  hitch hatch...cabbage patch...hatch another batch...this old man can catch a hatch.... :whistle: think I got spring fever or something.... :funny:

#49 2013-03-20 23:12:36

dahlisgrams

yardbirds wrote:

:jumping:  now lets hope my impending hatch goes off without a hitch... :lol:  hitch hatch...cabbage patch...hatch another batch...this old man can catch a hatch.... :whistle: think I got spring fever or something.... :funny:

:funny: I hope they do well!!!

The last EO egg pipped, I can't believe it. Well, I can.. it was alive when I candled it but still.. :nervous:

#50 2013-03-21 00:37:57

Maggiesdad

dahlisgrams wrote:

yardbirds wrote:

dahlisgrams wrote

Not foolish at all! I should have been more clear but I thought you made an excellent and extremely valid point. Thank you!! :wise:

Don't feel foolish at all, YB - I put the same thing on her because I did just that last year and had an absolutely terrible hatch. That was a hard learned lesson. But after quizzing her I had found that DG knows a thing or two about incubation... not to worry!  In fact, I believe I'll let her hatch all my chicks.  :funny:

Adverts

Board footer