Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-19 15:06:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Candled my eggs....

So my 3 broodies are working over-time.  The chantecler is sitting on Blondies eggs and 2 Lavender Ameraucanas are sitting in the same tractor on Jim's and the girls eggs.  I did my first candling yesterday when I got home at t-4 days approx.  The eggs are all at different stages.  The Lavenders are a bit sloppier in their sitting and have let 3 eggs get cold with life forms inside.  One Nathan said was out for a few days, so I took it away, the others had slid away from the hens and something was moving in there when candled, so have left them in. 

I just candled with a flash light in a dim barn in the day so left them all in (about 25-30) but one as I wasn't 100%, but there are definitely chickies in there!  :cheer:

2011-08-19 15:06:06

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-19 15:23:41

Susan
Administrator

Re: Candled my eggs....

Woo hoo :) More babies!!

#3 2011-08-19 18:04:16

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I am excited, they'll hatch while I'm away though :(  have a feeling they may be still hatching when I get back too :oops:

#4 2011-08-20 01:06:13

gubi
Website

In one of the hatches this year I had an eggs that looked like the embryo was way smaller so I thought it was either dead or going to hatch really late and I wrote late on the egg, that egg was one of the first to hatch! 
Hoping for many EO chicks!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2011-08-20 03:56:00

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Good to know Stefan, I guess I'll know for sure by this time next week! :chook:

#6 2011-08-20 23:16:10

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh wow the "natural" process might be too risky for my nerves to take! I might have control issues when it come to incubating and raising chickens, just maybe a little.

But I would love to see some babies raised that way so maybe I'll see if I have the stomach for it next year.

Keep us updated!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2011-08-21 00:06:37

Susan
Administrator

You'll love it PG, Momma does all the work and is so proud :EO:!

#8 2011-08-21 22:45:21

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

poplar girl wrote:

Oh wow the "natural" process might be too risky for my nerves to take! I might have control issues when it come to incubating and raising chickens, just maybe a little.

But I would love to see some babies raised that way so maybe I'll see if I have the stomach for it next year.

Keep us updated!!

I agree, maybe I am a control freak when it comes to no poop on the incubating eggs....and evil smells emanating form the broody coop :sick:  The best experience for me were the ones we left unattended (egg-wise) for 6 weeks and got 14 babies out of the deal all on the same day....maybe they are better at it the 2nd time around. =D No hatchlings yet and Islandgirls eggs are ready to go:thumbsup:

#9 2011-08-22 05:36:04

Island Girl

:happycrowd" I am sooo excited, I have been in touch with your DH and payment has been made by paypal. I believe it is going to be a nerve racking 23 days (2 days for shipping :P). White silkie is still broody but I noticed that she is nest hopping, I tried giving her some infertile duck eggs and she ate them :huh: I may just leave her with a couple of BLRW eggs that may be fertile and go from there. I don't want to give her the EO eggs if she might abandon them. Wish me luck!

XOX Monika

#10 2011-08-22 12:51:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Great Monika! I wrapped them carefully yesterday!  Blondie has gone broody so only eggs from Speckled Jim & girls are winging their way to you!  Mine have to be hatching any day, though there were no replies when I cheeped at them on the weekend.  Guess they'll come this week while I'm away! :cheer:

You may want to warm up the bator just in case your henny can't be trusted, don't want her :eat: them!

#11 2011-08-22 13:19:42

Susan
Administrator

Wow! I'm so excited for you both! Claire, it will be so awesome to home to the sweet little fuzzies. Don't get a speeding ticket :). And Monika, I'm so glad Claire could get you some eggs, I know you've be patiently waiting!! You won't be disappointed.

#12 2011-08-25 03:24:59

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

So some of the little crackers have come out.  :jumping: Nathan said he heard cheeping them last night!  I would have been lifting the Mommas up to see what was going on.  I am assuming it was both batches, but I guess I'll find out when I get home.  Feels like Christmas :happycrowd"  Don't worry, I'll take pics!

#13 2011-08-25 03:30:48

poplar girl
Administrator

How wonderful! Can't wait to see some pictures!!!
:jumping:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#14 2011-08-25 03:43:28

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

poplar girl wrote:

Can't wait to see some pictures!!!
:jumping:

Neither can I.  He didn't take any tonight! :huh:

Adverts

Board footer