Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-18 03:36:50

Skylinepoultry
Website

Its Official!

Well its Official everyone.  I've decided to downsize my poultry collection to just Euskal Oiloak and my top secret projects. I'll be keeping around 15 to 20 breeds to keep my projects going and of course my Favorites. I really want to concentrate on EO's as they will be my bird of choice concidering they are the complete package for me personally. If you dont know me then I'll tell you a little secret about me, I LOVE CHICKENS!  I love variety. But I just didnt see it being fair to the EO's to have so many breeds taking up alot of my time as well. Plus I think this is going to lower my feedbill =D
61 breeds kinda take a bite out of the ole feed budget,lol.

2011-08-18 03:36:50

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-18 04:21:33

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Its Official!

:applause: They really are :EO:  I am racking my brains now we are not moving, how to do them justice too!  :happycrowd" Glad it will help with your feedbill!

#3 2011-08-18 04:26:39

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:EO: but I want too keep a few breeds not jsut EO's
but :congrats:

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#4 2011-08-18 11:08:38

poplar girl
Administrator

A big decision for sure. Keeping 15 to 20 breeds plus favorites is still a lot but I guess compared to 61 that's still downsizing.

How many EOs does that leave space for? Must mean you can have a pretty large flock!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-08-18 11:43:17

Flat Rock Farm

That is a big decision and a hard one.  I have had to downsize as well, I found it hardest to say who stays and who goes, VERY hard.  I hear you with the feed bill though, gets pretty stiff.  Well good luck with it all, but the EO's are worth it because.........:EO:

#6 2011-08-19 03:01:30

Skylinepoultry
Website

poplar girl wrote:

A big decision for sure. Keeping 15 to 20 breeds plus favorites is still a lot but I guess compared to 61 that's still downsizing.

How many EOs does that leave space for? Must mean you can have a pretty large flock!

I have around 50 Marradunas now. Ill be doubleing that next season. Got some gorgeous roos developing too! These birds have gotten huge in such a short amount of time. Roos are monsters at their age.

#7 2011-08-19 03:49:28

poplar girl
Administrator

That sounds like a beautiful flock of EOs! Will you be collecting eggs from all or from certain breeding groups or pair breeding? Just curious, I am trying to decide would be best with my birds.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2011-08-19 04:03:56

Skylinepoultry
Website

poplar girl wrote:

That sounds like a beautiful flock of EOs! Will you be collecting eggs from all or from certain breeding groups or pair breeding? Just curious, I am trying to decide would be best with my birds.

Illl be pairing up my best for breeding. Well when I decided to down size my other breeds it just made more sense to create a massive flock of EO's to work with considering they're my most important birds.

#9 2011-08-19 12:37:32

gubi
Website

That's great news for the breed.  Those roosters grow huge in such a short time.  When I got my first EO's last year in a surprise egg swap with Claire, my intentions where to just keep the pullets of what ever I get and add them to the layer flock.  But those roosters and hens grew on me very fast and I got EO eggs from Claire 3 more times this year to get a good starter flock of Marraduna Euskal Oiloa.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2011-08-19 18:03:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:cheer: :EO: They definitely grow on you! :love:

Adverts

Board footer