Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-02-19 14:15:47

Lindy Lou

How to get humidity up to 60%

I'm having a hard time getting the humidity up to 60-65% and keeping it there. I'm using a fan operated Hovabator and put water into all the bottom tray except the outside ring. Any ideas? The incubator is in an insulated room with no windows maintained temperature of 55 degrees.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2013-02-19 14:15:47

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-02-19 14:25:49

gubi
Website

Re: How to get humidity up to 60%

A wet sock or something like that will help increase the humidity.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2013-02-19 17:06:07

mikencarol

LL...it is dry here ALOT of the time and when I'm having trouble maintaining humidity, I set a small vaporizer outside my incubators near the incubator intake for fresh air.  Just make sure to monitor your humidity, you can change it pretty drastically rapidly.  It's just a bandaid of a fix but a cheap and effective one cause I usually don't need it except near hatching time.

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#4 2013-02-19 17:21:57

Little Boy Blue
Website

I have had the same problem with the Hoverbator.  It maxes out on humidity at about 55%.  After that is doesn't matter how many water trays I fill or how many wet socks I add.  I think that the humidity it permeating through the Styrofoam.  I use the Hoverbator for the first 18 days and then move the egg to a separate hatcher at lockdown.

If you have to hatch in the Hoverbator to hatch then I would follow what Mike has suggested and increase the humidity outside the incubator.  If you can get the humidity outside the incubator up to 65% then that will balance the flow of moisture through the styrofoam.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2013-02-19 17:23:51)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#5 2013-02-19 17:54:03

Lindy Lou

Thanks guys

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#6 2013-02-20 00:29:29

Farmer Jim

It's nice to finally see a thread on here where I can help! Everyone seems to know so much more than me about EOs that I find I'm not posting much. But here's an area I have some pretty good knowledge in. I used to breed ball pythons. Their eggs are extremely fussy, often needing 99% humidity, while ay the same time preventing condensation. (a single drop of liquid water on a python egg can be enough to kill it). So my experience with incubators is, well, way too extensive. Lol, ugh.

So to the question....since Hovabators use an exposed coil for heat, and their insulation is pretty poor, the result is the heating element being on for most of the time to maintain temps. You may find that by adding to the insulation, your coil will run less often. For some reason, the exposed coil incubators suck out all the moisture when the element is heating (I'm not sure about the science behind it, but I've used many Hovabators in the past, and experience is my professor ;) )

My suggestion would be to lessen the load borne by the Hovabator, by either increasing it's insulation (a few strategically placed towels will do wonders) or increasing temps outside the Hovabator (ie, bring up the temperature of the room itself.)

You can also dampen one of the towels you use. Just make sure that for every damp towel tou use (one is plenty) you use at least two more dry towels on top. Also, wet the towel with hot water. By the time you wring it out (squeeze out all the water you can. The key is damp, not soaking wet) it will still be fairly warm, so it won't make the Hovabator work too hard to compensate.

Lastly, being a snake guy, I am super paranoid about mold. snake eggs are ruined by mold quicker than anything else. As a result, I discovered that a damp sock (or any cloth for that matter) will promote mold growth no matter how clean the sock is. I don't know if it's a concern with chicks, but if it is, use damp paper instead. A wet paper towel will add a bunch of humidity, but also dry out fast enough that there's less concern about mold. You'll have to change the paper a little more often than you would a sock, but a fair compromise in my books! (if, of course it's a concern for chicks. If not, then just ignore me. Don't worry. I'm used to it. LOL)

That's my two cents. Or maybe it was three.

Hopefully something in my ramble will be useful. It would be nice to give something back, since in my short time here I've already taken so much.

#7 2013-02-20 01:57:08

riverbendfarm
Website

An old poultry guy just uses a spray bottle and gives the eggs a good spritz once a week to assist him. I leave the plugs in my hovabator and am constantly topping up water in winter hatches. My house is wood heated so humidity runs close to 20% in all rooms :nervous:. It can be a challenge to get the humidity even to stay at 50% for the first 3 weeks, and I think that's why I'm having lots of shrink wrapping occur. I shall try Farmer Jim's trick of insulating the incubator. The less that thing needs to run the better IMO. I wonder if I used a wet sponge over the intake holes? I shall try that and see what happens and let you guys know.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#8 2013-02-20 02:37:01

Lindy Lou

I did put a wet sponge in there which brought the humidity up. You're right about the heater coil; struggling to keep the tempeature up. I have a brooder room which I heat with a heat bulb. That brings the room temp up to a steady 55 degrees. I also wrapped a blanket around the base of the incubator to try and keep some of the heast in.
My DH has also advised me to spritz the eggs once a day with warm water.

#9 2013-02-20 03:15:49

Farmer Jim

Have you guys ever considered building your own incubators? If anyone were ever interested, I'd be happy to walk you through it. The cost would be a fraction of what a factory made one of it's calibre would cost, and it would work just as well. I've built a few in my years of reptile breeding, and I've gotten pretty decent at it. Easy enough to do. My doors always open.

#10 2013-02-20 17:01:58

Little Boy Blue
Website

Thanks Farmer Jim!  Yes...when we had a hatch with chicks getting stuck in out Reptipro 5000 a friend gave us a space heater and told us to get the room cozy.  It worked, but I didn't know what was physically changing in the system.  Makes perfect sence now. I also used an old Brower 845 incubator growing up.  My uncle got it at a school auction for $0.50 because the school couldn't get anything to hatch in it.  My dad insulated it and it worked just fine for us for the next 6 years untill we moved across the country and left it behind.   Wonderfull information.

#11 2013-02-20 18:54:22

mikencarol

Curtis...where did you leave that Brower laying...I'm gonna go get it!  Just kidding....I still have one that still works!  That was one of the first things I ever hatched anything in, in the 50's.  I also had a little yellow and clear plastic incubator that you could hatch 6 quail eggs or 3 chickens eggs in with a light bulb....I think we paid 4.95$ for that one................:hatch:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#12 2013-02-20 20:08:23

Lindy Lou

I would love to get instructions on building your own Incubator. My Dh speaks fondly of his first one. It was made of wood and ran on paraffin with a bellows I think that opened and closed to regulate the temp. He reckons my Hovabator will never hold at a constant 99.5 because it's not designed that way.

#13 2013-02-20 20:17:42

Farmer Jim

Lindy Lou wrote:

I would love to get instructions on building your own Incubator. My Dh speaks fondly of his first one. It was made of wood and ran on paraffin with a bellows I think that opened and closed to regulate the temp. He reckons my Hovabator will never hold at a constant 99.5 because it's not designed that way.

The way I make them is out of glass. My most recent one I made was glass I custom cut to fit some specific measurements, but even a simple glass aquarium works. The idea is to give your entire interior a surface that can easily be sterilized. Glass fits the bill perfectly. Wash with bleach, rinse, then wipe down with isopropyl. I've never used an egg turner myself (turning reptile eggs is a big no no) but it should be easy enough to remove the egg turner from a Hovabator and place it in the incubator.

maybe I'll just start a new thread, and write up a tutorial to avoid derailing this one. Now, I just have to figure out how to get pictures from my iPad to the forum! Lol

#14 2013-02-20 20:49:16

Flat Rock Farm

Lindy Lou wrote:

Hey Lynn if you and John ever want to try the incubator Mark gave me last Christmas, you know the one :whistle:  I can't give it to you  (I would like to) but would be more than willing to let you use it to try and hatch some eggs.  Let me know and I will bring it up Sunday with me :thumbs:

#15 2013-02-20 21:42:26

Lindy Lou

That would be awesome Paula. John would be transported back to his youth :whistle:

#16 2013-02-20 22:01:13

Flat Rock Farm

Sounds good, I will bring it along.  Anything to make John feel youthful again :whistle: LOL

#17 2013-02-21 20:15:44

Little Boy Blue
Website

mikencarol wrote:

Curtis...where did you leave that Brower laying...I'm gonna go get it!  Just kidding....I still have one that still works!  That was one of the first things I ever hatched anything in, in the 50's.  I also had a little yellow and clear plastic incubator that you could hatch 6 quail eggs or 3 chickens eggs in with a light bulb....I think we paid 4.95$ for that one................:hatch:

I think the Brower got left in Utah when we moved to Oklahoma.  I search my parent garage several times over before forking out the cash for a new one.  I might still be there, but at this point am guessing to is long gone.

I used the yellow one with a lightbulb too.  We ordered it out of the Boy's Life magazine, but never got anything to hatch for that one.

Adverts

Board footer