Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-02-13 21:23:46

Lindy Lou

Red yolk and white

One of my customers just told me she cracked open an egg and it was red inside. Both the yolk and the white were red. Never heard or saw on of those myself. Anybody else ever heard of this. Thank goodness she's a friend of mine otherwise could really be bad for business

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2013-02-13 21:23:46

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-02-13 21:28:26

Maggiesdad

Re: Red yolk and white

I've gotten one of those this year... It was pretty gross. :sick:

#3 2013-02-13 21:32:55

Lindy Lou

Do you have any idea what causes that?

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2013-02-13 21:45:24

Farmer Jim

I've had one of those too. I had assumed it was from a fertilized egg (maybe missed for a while?), but when it happened to me we didn't even have a roo.

So I guess I'm not being helpful at all huh? Lol. :duh:

#5 2013-02-13 21:48:02

Maggiesdad

Just a glitch in the system as the girls are coming back on line... I haven't gotten any complaints, so I hope I caught the only one.

I don't candle, and my families know they get what I get and there might could be a surprise in one someday. :shock: They've been cool with that.

#6 2013-02-13 21:52:26

Maggiesdad

Fresh fertilized eggs just have a tiny white bullseye on the yolk. If they have been on the kitchen counter for a week or two the bullseye could be as big as a dime.

If they've been under the hen for 5-7 days, you are not going to want to fry that, no sir.  :whistle:

#7 2013-02-13 22:06:12

Maggiesdad

The one I got looked like the one on the right, except the yolk was red too.

http://beehivehairdresser.com/tag/bad-eggs/

#8 2013-02-13 22:08:58

Flat Rock Farm

Yes MD or your eggs will be a bit meaty :sick:

Lynn I had one a couple weeks ago I went to crack it open for my breakfast and the yolk was quite bloody.  I don't mind having the odd blood spot but when I scrambled it, it turned red :sick: :sick:

I think it is quite normal and if I know you there are none sitting around for any length of time for incubation to start!!

#9 2013-02-13 22:11:36

Flat Rock Farm

Maggiesdad wrote:

The one I got looked like the one on the right, except the yolk was red too.

http://beehivehairdresser.com/tag/bad-eggs/

The one I cracked look similar but not that much blood :shock:,  I collect my eggs twice a day.

#10 2013-02-13 22:17:56

Lindy Lou

Apparently this one was just one bloody looking mess. Made me feel awful that it had come from one of my birds. There are no eggs lying around here as I collect mine three sometimes four times a day and straight into the fridge they go. If any have a chip or crack then It does go into the public sale boxes.

#11 2013-02-14 06:35:34

Island Girl

:sick: haven't had one yet, but ewwwwww for when I do

XOX Monika

#12 2013-02-14 12:49:57

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:sick:  I haven't found one like that yet.  I hope my customers haven't either but I have warned them all about blood spots.  I remember reading once, I think on another forum, about a burst capillary in the hen as the egg passes through the oviduct.  If I can remember where I read it, I will come back a post a link.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#13 2013-02-14 19:20:17

Micah and Kiah

I have heard of this and am grateful I have never seen it.  On the incredible eggs site Does a blood spot mean an egg is contaminated?

"Blood or meat spots are occasionally found on an egg yolk and are merely an error on the part of the hen. They’re caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface when it’s being formed or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. Most eggs with blood spots are detected by electronic spotters and never reach the market. But, even with mass scanners, it’s impossible to catch them all. Both chemically and nutritionally, eggs with blood spots are fit to eat. You can remove the spot with the tip of a knife, if you wish."
Unless there is alot then you should throw it out and figure out which hen and if she is ok!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer