Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-02-12 18:38:13

Farmer Jim

Southern Manitoba here.

Hey er'body. I was surfing the net for info on Marraduna Basque chickens when I found this forum. It wasn't what I was looking for, but don't you always find the best things by mistake?

I got started with chickens about five years ago. My wife and I are homesteaders, and we started from scratch. Plunked a house down in the middle of a field, and started making it home. My first chickens were a flock of mismatched, random birds that were given to me. That's when I learned lesson #1.... When someone offers to GIVE you chickens, they are very likely spent layers. These were.

I decided to stick with it, and learn what I could. Fast forward to today.....I've picked up a thing or two. One thing I know is I will forever more have chickens in my care. Without them our home just wouldn't be the same.

Well, last spring I had found an ad for Marraduna Basque chickens. I had never even heard of them, but since I was looking for some dual purpose birds, these seemed ideal. I came home with a dozen chicks, and fell in love. They grew quickly, had personality to spare, foraged from day one, and were just all around great birds. Alas, before an egg was laid, our flock was devastated by a fox.

Presently, the coop is far more empty than I like. One basque survived the fox, along with three old layers. I know it's not efficient, but I usually let my spent hens live out their lives here after they stop laying. With the over bred "red hens" this seems to be after two years. So at the moment I have my one, beautiful basque, giving me an egg every couple of days, and a random egg evey couple days from one of the other old girls. Well, less than an egg a day is unacceptable. And so, as of yesterday, I will be adding two dozen new Marraduna Basques to my farm.

I have a bunch of questions for you guys (of course, I won't ask them here), and hopefully I can reciprocate with some of the meager knowledge I've gained by homesteading with no guidance whatsoever! Lol. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

See ya out there!

Jim.

2013-02-12 18:38:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-02-12 18:55:39

mikencarol

Re: Southern Manitoba here.

......:welcome: Farmer Jim.  I accidentally found EO's while looking for birds to "Make-my-own" dual purpose birds.  After finding EOs...I forgot that idea  :EO:   you will love these birds and also love the GREAT folks on here to help, advise, tease and learn along with you.  Again, WELCOME....glad to have you with us!!.....Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#3 2013-02-12 19:20:55

Lindy Lou

Hi Jim and :welcome: to our family. You have been fortunate enough to stumble on the best kept secret around.  :EO: and so are the people who keep them. The folks here will give you all the help,advice, smiles and laughs, you will be glad you joined.
Like you I keep my spent layers till they die. Not very efficient but they did their best by me and I feel an obligation to let them live their days out here. Presently I have a mixed flock but have a plan to move to a flock of EO's as they have it all. Right now I have 1 young rooster who doesn't seem to know what he's doing and a dozen or so hens. On Saturday I pick up a dozen or two fertile eggs from my good friend Flat Rock Farm and into the incubator they will go. I'm hoping to get some fertile eggs of my own to do another hatch.
Anyway hope you enjoy meeting us all and getting to know all about our beloved EO's

LL

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2013-02-12 19:25:27

Flat Rock Farm

Jim :hi: and :welcome:

We are glad you found the forum :thumbsup:  Not too many people know about these birds but the more people know about them they will see what all the buzz is about.  Coming up to my third year owning EO's, the best breed I have owned so far and I have been chicken keepin for 20 years.

Well ask away with your questions,  someone is always glad to answer and help out.  Is it someone locally that you are getting the EO's from??

Glad you could join us :EO:

Paula

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2013-02-12 19:25:53)

#5 2013-02-12 20:50:57

Farmer Jim

Well damn. I just wrote a long reply, and my batteries died! Doh! Lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I've been reading lots here over the last day or two, and this forum is chock full of great info and even greater people! I am looking forward to spending some quality time here.

My EOs are coming from a gentleman just outside of Steinbach. Seems like a nice man who really loves the breed. When I first purchased chicks from him, I had also picked up two Black Copper Marans. I was considering trying out the hybrid between the two. This was partly because I love variety on the farm, and partly because in past breeding ventures with other animals, I've always enjoyed what hybrid vigor brings to my critters. With the EOs, however, I think I may keep the breed pure, because it is just such a nice bird.

Do any of you cross the EOs? As far as variety goes, they are so diverse in their colors that I really don't see a need to for that reason, but I am curious if anyone has done much with these birds yet.

#6 2013-02-12 21:18:45

mikencarol

...I have just had these EO's a year but I've had chickens and turkeys for over 50 years and I'm still astounded on the information being exchanged and the work done on genetics and to improve this breed....I'm not smart enough to hold a candle to alot of these folks on here breeding and working with them so I will defer to them....BUT...I am smart enough to learn from/listen to them  :thumbs:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#7 2013-02-12 21:38:05

Flat Rock Farm

Thanks I was just curious to see who in Manitoba had EO's, they are scattered across the country and now in the :US:

Well I know the only crosses that we have had on this forum is SilkieXEO's and EOXwelsummer's :whistle:  I know I am keeping them pure as they are so rare and trying to work on improving my birds with selective breeding. 

I'm with you Mike I get into the genetic stuff and my poor ole head can't grasp it :Crazy: LOL

#8 2013-02-12 21:53:53

Farmer Jim

Well I must say, having just one of these EOs has made me a believer. I am actually amazed that they aren't spreading like wildfire!

#9 2013-02-12 22:00:31

Flat Rock Farm

Well they have come a long way since first arriving in Canada in 2007.  A few of us have started entering them in shows to give them exposure as well.  So I guess all in good time =D

#10 2013-02-12 22:58:46

riverbendfarm
Website

Welcome Jim! I'm way off in Nova Scotia and I have 4 beautiful EO adults, 4 chicks in my brooder and eggs going into the 'bator as fast as I can chuck em! They are my hands-down favs. I will be trimming down to just EO's and Black Penedesenca this summer so I can really focus on improving both lines. I'm hatching out bunches and tons until summer, then plan to cull down to about 15 hens. I'll be bringing in hatching eggs from Paula, and have found a couple of other breeders willing to help me to promote and improve the breed here in Nova Scotia using my stock and Paula's eggs. My heart broke when you told me about that fox. I can't imagine losing all my girls that way. We recently had to put down poor Hammy, our second roo due to leg problems and I was a total mess. Best of luck on your new babies!

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#11 2013-02-12 23:00:13

Susan
Administrator

Welcome Jim! Nice of you to join us :EO:

#12 2013-02-12 23:09:46

Maggiesdad

:welcome: Farmer Jim!

I put my reserve EO rooster in a tractor with some hatchery Jersey Giant hens. I hatched a few of the eggs just to see what would happen. The pullets from that cross were my earliest and best winter layers this year. The two roosters dressed out at 5lb a couple of weeks after the girls hit POL. And they tasted just like chicken... :eat:

#13 2013-02-12 23:11:49

NaturesPace
Website

Hi and Welcome from the :US:
I have Welsummer and one Orpington crosses with EOs. They are not at POL yet, so I don't know how well they will lay, but they sure are cute. They aren't as friendly as the EOs i raised by hand. These were raised by a broody EO. She was a great mom.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#14 2013-02-12 23:22:04

Flat Rock Farm

riverbendfarm wrote:

Welcome Jim! I'm way off in Nova Scotia and I have 4 beautiful EO adults, 4 chicks in my brooder and eggs going into the 'bator as fast as I can chuck em! They are my hands-down favs. I will be trimming down to just EO's and Black Penedesenca this summer so I can really focus on improving both lines. I'm hatching out bunches and tons until summer, then plan to cull down to about 15 hens. I'll be bringing in hatching eggs from Paula, and have found a couple of other breeders willing to help me to promote and improve the breed here in Nova Scotia using my stock and Paula's eggs. My heart broke when you told me about that fox. I can't imagine losing all my girls that way. We recently had to put down poor Hammy, our second roo due to leg problems and I was a total mess. Best of luck on your new babies!

RBF I am so sorry to hear about Hammy :hug:

#15 2013-02-12 23:47:15

Farmer Jim

NaturesPace, I was looking at some of your photos earlier today. Beautiful girls! That Orph cross looked great. Can't wait to hear how your new crosses lay.

#16 2013-02-13 01:42:37

gubi
Website

Welcome Farmer Jim.  :EO:  If you consider that 4 years ago there were only a few EO's at Skeffling Lavender farms and Black horse ranch and 5 years ago only a few in Quebec.  Today there are EO's from BC to Nova Scotia and all the way down to Texas!  I think they have been spreading like wildfire!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#17 2013-02-13 01:49:38

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Hi and welcome.   :EO:

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#18 2013-02-13 02:00:50

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: farmer Jim!

I think a backyard flock on your homestead of pure EOs would do nicely. Good size and egg production, smart and friendly and with all the diversity still within this breed you can have lots of variety without even crossing them. But I might be a bit bias ;)

Either way, I hope your new EOs do great and that fox problem has been contained :gunslinger:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#19 2013-02-13 02:01:52

Farmer Jim

Good point Gubi. I didn't realize they were spreading so prolifically. Sure am glad I hopped on the band wagon.

#20 2013-02-13 04:27:42

dahlisgrams

Welcome to the madness, Jim!! I totally hear you on wildfire... :welcome:

#21 2013-02-13 18:56:08

Lisa

:welcome: Jim! Sounds like you are a convert already.... =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#22 2013-02-14 06:43:27

Island Girl

:welcome: Jim, you just landed yourself on a great forum full of wonderful people. The information and the enabling that happens here are the best. Wishing you many more EOs and a great time here with us.

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer