Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-01-19 12:55:57

yardbirds

HATCH DAY (Updated Pictures)

:happybday: chickies

Yes today looks like hatch day.  =D  First 2 pips....last night my first Welsummer and this morning my first Hungarian Yellow.  :cozy: and blowing snow today and tomorrow. 

:chickout: :chickout: :chickout: :chickout: :chickout: :chickout: :chickout: :chickout: :chickout: :chickout:

am hoping              anyway   :)

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

2013-01-19 12:55:57

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-19 13:46:39

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: HATCH DAY (Updated Pictures)

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :chickout:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2013-01-19 15:22:49

Micah and Kiah

Go Chickies!!!  :excited:  :hatch:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#4 2013-01-19 17:28:10

NaturesPace
Website

:cheer:
Go chickies!

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2013-01-19 18:43:12

Flat Rock Farm

:congrats: yardbirds!!!  Come on chickies :cheer: :hatch:

#6 2013-01-19 19:23:42

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:jumping: :hatch:  :congrats: Let the fun begin!

#7 2013-01-19 22:29:00

Susan
Administrator

Awesome!

#8 2013-01-20 00:54:36

yardbirds

This is taking a long time...lol....the first HY is zipping and should hatch soon....from what I can tell its down is dark... so am wondering what this cross is.... any clue susan?  This is so exciting.... :thumbsup:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#9 2013-01-20 01:06:50

yardbirds

:jumping:  1st HY hatched...   :chickout:   and has 4 toes, clean legs and dark down.

#10 2013-01-20 01:39:48

Susan
Administrator

Like I said yardbirds, it could really be anything. They are still in with an Euskal Oiloa Roo, a frizzle Roo, a bantam Cochin Roo, a silkie Roo, not sure if I am forgetting anyone, but it will be interesting to see for sure!

#11 2013-01-20 01:46:08

yardbirds

Sure is a cute little bugger....whiteish wingtips and as it is drying the down is kinda silvery grey.... and some white on the head I think...lol
Only two others have pipped so far...another HY and one Welsummer.....the one I thought pipped last nite.... :lol: was a bit of fine shavings that I guess I never noticed when candling...

#12 2013-01-20 03:54:28

Micah and Kiah

:pics::please:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#13 2013-01-20 14:08:30

Chrish

:congrats: :thumbsup: don't forget pictures :pics:

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#14 2013-01-20 15:59:06

yardbirds

Yes, I will post pics once the hatch is complete and they are all dry and fluffy.  This hatch certainly is having its issues.  Today is the start of Day 23 and so far only 4 chicks have hatched and 3 more are pipped.  All 3 Hungarian Yellows appear to be crosses which I am fine with and they are all different looking too.  1 Welsummer has hatched and appears (eyeliner I think) to be a pullet and another has pipped (very small pip).  The other two that have pipped are :jumping: an EO (eggs are the largest in the bator) and the other could be either another wellie or the darker EO egg.  With the game of soccer going on in the incubator, the labels on the eggs are hidden from view so I can't really tell yet.  The barnevelder hasn't pipped yet unless on the underside. 

Now for the explanation as to why this hatch is taking so long....

My understanding of incubation with small styro bators is that still air are to be run at 101.5 to 102 F and forced air (with fan) are to be run at 99.5F.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  Since this has been my understanding and this is the first hatch in this genesis model...purchased used and has hatched successfully by previous owner; when I fired it up to prepare 3 days in advance of setting eggs so it was stable, the setting was at 99.9 and I set the eggs and once set the temp was rising higher than .5 a degree higher than 99.5 so I adjusted it at first to 99.8 and subsequently lower till I set it at 99.5 and left it at that setting.  The gauge showed fluctuating temps of between 99.3 and 100.1 so I left it.  When candling just before lockdown the viable eggs were alive and squirming but perhaps smaller than they should have been in hindsight.  They never really filled the egg, seemed to be a lot of yolk still there, but being a novice and not knowing how much yolk should be visible at lockdown, I proceeded with lockdown.  Day 21 arrives and still nothing...so I think ...still ok because my other two hatches both occurred on Day22.  Day 22 arrives and starts off slowly with a pip in the morning and more in the afternoon.  1st chick to hatch is a HY and am thinking now is because all 3 of them were smaller eggs, and so far 3 of the 4 hatchlings are the 3 HY's.  To confirm my suspicion that my temps were lower than then should have been I asked the previous owner what the temps were like ( were they spot on, running high? low????)  I was informed that all hatches were complete on Day 21 with the factory setting of 99.9F. 

So I guess I am lucky anything is hatching at all.  I will give it another day after today so by the end of Monday my hatch should be complete, and that friends....will be day 24.  :shock:

:banginghead:  Note to self.... should have asked previous owner this info prior to setting this batch. 

Regardless I am thrilled with the chicks that have hatched and are in the process of hatching and look forward to watching them grow...

:pics:  when hatch is complete...  :surfing:

#15 2013-01-20 19:13:09

Chrish

i wish I could offer you some advice but don't feel experienced enough too. It sounds like you were a little under temp. i don't fully understand all whats at play just yet. I have had 5 hatches and each time think I have learned from the last yet my first hatch ever was the best hatch rate Iv had ???:banginghead: good luck with the rest hope it turns out for you. Just resist the temptation to help them out its not worth it.

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#16 2013-01-20 23:33:47

yardbirds

Hatch is not complete but here is a sneak peak....

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q538/yardbirds23/HPIM05962.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q538/yardbirds23/HPIM05952.jpg

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q538/yardbirds23/HPIM05912.jpg

#17 2013-01-21 00:07:43

gubi
Website

cute!  Looks like you got a couple of silkie crosses there, dark beak and feet.  Those little silkie roos are tough!  Tonight my little splash cockerel took on the big 2 year old EE rooster and chased him away!  And I was worried about him being in with the big boys.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#18 2013-01-21 00:56:13

riverbendfarm
Website

Yep Gubi, before I sold Mr. Pouf he ran the show. He's see off 'Niller who was twice his size and not even blink. I watched him give a lesson to my big buff orpington roo one day and it was priceless. He jumped right up for the two-footed dropkick and just wouldn't back down. I think the bigger roos were just amazed by his...ahem...pluck.:whistle:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#19 2013-01-21 01:35:28

Susan
Administrator

Gotta love the silkies and silkie crosses! Just think- you won't need the incubator next time! Lol

#20 2013-01-21 02:01:21

poplar girl
Administrator

They are adorable...hoping lots are little pullets as each will be unique if they are a cross.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#21 2013-01-21 02:12:23

Micah and Kiah

Beautiful babies!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#22 2013-01-21 02:44:47

yardbirds

Those 3 HY's are the only crosses, there are 2 welsummers now, the 2nd just hatched and the lone barnevelder has pipped and one EO but am worried about it.  Just a small fleck of shell eventually "pipped off"  it was just a rather large multi-piece crack so to speak, but noticed a small blood vein/vessel and a small amount of blood.  It hasn't spread but the pip is small and there is still activity happenning inside there???  Time will tell and am sure learning about patience here.... Good Grief " Charlie Brown " .....  :surfing:

#23 2013-01-21 03:20:27

Island Girl

Congrats on your new babies, they sure are cute. Thankx for the pictures yardbirds. As long as we keep learning and share it with others I feel our mistakes are not in vain!

XOX Monika

#24 2013-01-21 07:42:15

yardbirds

:jumping:  2 more Welsummers and 1 EO and probably the barnevelder by morning.  :thumbsup:

#25 2013-01-21 12:18:17

poplar girl
Administrator

:congrats: they are very cute!

I hope they all make it out and are healthy yardbirds. I had my fair share of hatches under less than ideal conditions the first few times and sometimes the late ones have health issues, I hope that's not the case with yours :nervous:

Adverts

Board footer