Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-09 15:17:45

Island Girl

Perfect Mother

My white Silkie has gone broody again and she is not slated for helping me out with meat birds or adopting any chicks. I would love to try some of my first Basque eggs with her, as I feel she will do the best job. Soooo does anyone still have any eggs for sale? I think its time for me to get on this :EO: bandwagon!

XOX Monika

2011-08-09 15:17:45

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-09 16:47:26

Susan
Administrator

Re: Perfect Mother

Oh awesome IG! I'm afraid I don't but maybe Claire does! Good luck! I know you will love them :)

#3 2011-08-10 01:18:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:jumping: Woohoo!  Island Girl I could send a weeks worth of eggs form the mother-son (1 hen) and father daughter (3 hens) lines on Mon 22nd August.  :chook:  My wonderful hubby will mail them for us, as I'll be away the Sunday night, for the week but can collect and label and do the shipping by that suppertime before I go. 

Lisa is getting them this weekend!

PM me with your address and, and I honestly think you should have them shipped priority or the overnight option that takes 2 days to BC.  I'd be expecting from the 4 hens conservatively lay 4 in a week, and up to 6-7 each, so say around 18 to 20.  I can send what I have or if you prefer one line over another I can do that.  Let me know your max and I'll send the freshest anyway.  :cheer:

#4 2011-08-10 01:22:24

Susan
Administrator

Psst... And IG... She sends popcorn too!!  :happycrowd"

#5 2011-08-10 02:45:59

Island Girl

OMG I am so excited! It truly never gets old. It doesn't matter to me which line but I do want Weise (my white Silkie) to do the hatching/brooding for me so I will not disturb her off her brood and I am sure she won't get over it too soon (but I don't want to tempt fate) so why don't we go with fewer eggs and send them ASAP. I am sure that she can handle at least 10ish eggs, so can we aim for that? I know that I will be spending the entire evening reading every post on here (again) so that I can absorb as much as possible! :happycrowd"

XOX Monika

PS I will PM message you my address and can I send you payment by e-mail transfer?

#6 2011-08-10 03:06:45

Susan
Administrator

Yay IG!!! Welcome to the club! I'm so happy for you!!:congrats:

#7 2011-08-10 11:57:52

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Island girl, I can't send them any sooner as it should be a Monday just in case of delays, and this Monday we'd be lucky to have 2-3 from Sunday.  For later in the week, I need to be home to wrap and package and weigh etc and I am away all week and only home on the weekends until September.  Hubby can mail them but he won't wrap and pack (and you may not want him to anyway!! :Crazy:)  I can send less, that's no problem. 

If you leave some eggs under your white silkie girl for now, that will keep her sitting, that is what Lisa is doing with her broody til she gets our eggs on Saturday.  I used to worry about them sitting 3 weeks then jumping up and  walking away, but the birds sitting on my eggs right now have been sitting in the layer coop for at least 7 weeks, and another week on these EO eggs and are motionless!  And my chanties that hatched my first chicks this spring,  sat about 7 weeks in total and I was able to put a second batch of eggs under when the first lot didn't do very well.  And the one started to lay long enough to fill the nest and then sat hatched out another 14 babies!  So I think you may be OK.  :applause:

#8 2011-08-10 12:32:29

gubi
Website

Island girl just a warning those EO eggs are huge and I'm not sure your silkie can cover 10.  I could send you 3 of my broodie silkies to help along!  Do you have an incubator?  might be an idea to hatch some in there and some under the silkie and then give all the chicks that hatched to the silkie?  I would not worry about waiting another week either.  I would mover her with a couple of eggs to the spot you want her to sit a couple of days before the eggs are supposed to arrive.  Sometimes they are very persistent and want to go back to the nest they were sitting on in the worst way!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2011-08-10 13:42:01

Island Girl

Very good idea gubi, I will give her some of the  eggs and incubate the rest in my brinsea. I may also move her I'll make sure she is good and broody on some of my other eggs first. No problem with her staying broody slf she can be quite persistent and if I leave her some eggs instead of taking them away she will most likey continue 'forever', so I won't fret about when the eggs get here so send when you can. Many thanks =D

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer