Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-01-03 01:09:29

Island Girl

My recently acquired roo, I think he is the one ...

I had mentioned in another post that I had acquired an EO roo from a girl here on the Island at our last poultry swap. She was a lovely gal and was very happy to sell me a roo and hen from her stock. We exchanged info and so on. I believe that this roo is not as closely related to my flock as I think he comes from elsewhere. I called her up the other day to tell her how nice he was turning out and she explained that hubby accidentally offed the wrong roo and she didn't have any boys left. Eeeek thats a nightmare in itself. Of course she can have an offspring back!! I took pictures of him today to see what you think of him. My main roo (from Susan) that I love does not have yellow legs and has a bit of a funky comb whereas this fellow has both yellow legs and a beautiful comb. He is not as friendly as main roo but then I hatched and coddled my guy :love: The new roo also has a lovely crow and he has nice coloring although has more black on his cape area than main roo. I just love my main roos coloring but roo #2 is soooo close. Well tell me what you think please. Go on and on cause I need to cull whoever I don't keep as I am getting my other backup Gorria roo from Debbie and can really only keep 2 main EO roos.

Studly is around 6 mths old
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Breedingflockandroo1003_zps9b8b3813.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Breedingflockandroo1035_zps05068f08.jpg

Some of his breeding girls
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Breedingflockandroo1011_zpsada7b39b.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Breedingflockandroo1006_zps7228e0eb.jpg

This is my main roo, he is around a year old
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Breedingflockandroo1017_zpsa6ed2e12.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Breedingflockandroo1018_zps1d3f4279.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Breedingflockandroo1019_zps2cd78ecc.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Breedingflockandroo1022_zpsb802700a.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Breedingflockandroo1020_zpsfe8ae367.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Breedingflockandroo1021_zpsa39b77bb.jpg

XOX Monika

2013-01-03 01:09:29

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-03 01:23:25

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: My recently acquired roo, I think he is the one ...

Studly looks very nice to me Monika, I think he is absolutely a good candidate to be daddy of this year's chicks. You might consider putting the hen you got with him with your main roo or the Gorria roo you are getting from Debbie. You will want to try to have some chicks from a different rooster so you have some to mate chicks from Studly with next year.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2013-01-03 01:42:12

Susan
Administrator

I like Studly very much. Good comb, good beak and shank colour. I think he will get white in his tail feathers soon ( which is common. Main Roo- I also like. Not too much black in the chest. I like his top line better- not so vertical. Don't like the points on the last point of his comb. Like that he is friendly. Not worried about white shanks or beak- fairly easy fix. Hard call. You may end up keeping one more than you planned. I know I am glad I did when I unexpectedly lost my next main Roo this winter.

#4 2013-01-03 01:42:24

Island Girl

pg the first two pictures are of Studly the rest are of Main roo. So you think Studly beats out main roo then?

XOX Monika

#5 2013-01-03 01:44:04

Island Girl

Susan wrote:

I like Studly very much. Good comb, good beak and shank colour. I think he will get white in his tail feathers soon ( which is common. Main Roo- I also like. Not too much black in the chest. I like his top line better- not so vertical. Don't like the points on the last point of his comb. Like that he is friendly. Not worried about white shanks or beak- fairly easy fix. Hard call. You may end up keeping one more than you planned. I know I am glad I did when I unexpectedly lost my next main Roo this winter.

I so wish that I could keep all three but I know that I can only keep two. Maybe I can loan him out to someone....

XOX Monika

#6 2013-01-03 01:52:47

poplar girl
Administrator

Island Girl wrote:

pg the first two pictures are of Studly the rest are of Main roo. So you think Studly beats out main roo then?

XOX Monika

Yep, I got that Studly was Pics 1&2 and Main Roo the rest. And yes, I think Studly beats out main roo. Be sure to check for things we can't easily see in photos before choosing though like feather stubs, crooked keel, split wing, etc.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2013-01-03 01:55:44

Island Girl

Ok so he has no feather stubs but yikes I never even thought of a crooked keel. I will feel him up tonight :P Can you explain split wing to me? Is it as it sounds, a break in the flow of the feathers?

XOX Monika

#8 2013-01-03 02:02:47

Susan
Administrator

Monika, if you can only keep one, keep Studly. PG is right, he is a good candidate for Daddy Roo. My biggest plus for main Roo is that his topline is closer to 45 degrees as opposed to 90. His comb is a definite concern though.

#9 2013-01-03 02:11:18

poplar girl
Administrator

Split wing if you pull open the wing there should not be a complete break with no feathers on either wing (check them both) between the two halves. I am forgetting my wing anatomy terms and a friend has my SOP...if you own an SOP look near the front there are photos I think.

I have had a couple of my d'uccles show split wing. I missed looking for it on one of them and the judge Disqualified her at the show. That second opinion for things like that is one of the reasons I would like to bring EOs to a few poultry shows...it's so easy to focus on one thing and miss something else.

And Susan I agree Studly's tail angle is on the high side, but I would suggest Main Roo holds his tail a bit low....

#10 2013-01-03 02:16:33

yardbirds

:jumping:  :EO:
seeing these wonderful pics, makes me hope for 100% hatch rate.

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#11 2013-01-03 02:35:20

Susan
Administrator

You're right PG. Monika. Take what PG says to heart. I trust her. She has done her homework and when she offers advice, I always listen closely. :thumbsup:

#12 2013-01-03 03:36:10

Island Girl

So you guys mention angle of tail and topline. Are you referring to the angle between the top of his tail to the top of his head? And I checked no crooked keel :applause: but then I forgot to check for the split wing (pg 20 SOS ;)) I was excited to show you pictures of the gifts hubby brought back from Canadian Tire. New post coming up.

XOX Monika

#13 2013-01-03 13:33:26

gubi
Website

Both nice boys but I do prefer Studly just a bit more but would try to hatch from both if you can manage it somehow. 

I gotta say I love your Millie pullet!  Is she a gorria?  You should mate her up with Micah & Kiah's roo.  Too bad you two are so far apart!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#14 2013-01-03 15:52:59

Maggiesdad

I like Studly.

:thumbsup:

#15 2013-01-03 18:49:18

Island Girl

Susan wrote:

Monika, if you can only keep one, keep Studly. PG is right, he is a good candidate for Daddy Roo. My biggest plus for main Roo is that his topline is closer to 45 degrees as opposed to 90. His comb is a definite concern though.

Hey there Susan, can you help me understand what you mean by topline? Are we talking about the angle of his back or his tail, sorry :duh: pg mentioned the way the roos are carrying his tail, is this what you are referring to.

XOX Monika

#16 2013-01-03 20:19:52

Susan
Administrator

Topline to me, means the from the top of his head to the top of the tail. You trace a line on the "top" of the back and it includes the tail angle. I should have referred to his tail angle. But I also like the length of his back. It is hard to compare their weights because of the age difference, a d they seem to grow and fill out to age two. I just wonder if main Roo would turn out to be the larger boy. ( an important selection factor)

#17 2013-01-04 04:25:31

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I like them both,  :applause:  How old is Studly, this years?  How much younger than main roo?  I like Studly slightly more based on those pics, but I don't think you can discount main roo based on those pictures.  They are nearly all from the top so I don't think you can compare.    His neck may be a bit longer but it is hard to see.  He is definitely worthy of being a spare.  I'd keep them both, but I believe in spare roos!

Adverts

Board footer