Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-01-01 19:40:01

NaturesPace
Website

Landrace?

I think I remember that EOs are considered a landrace. If so, should we be so worried about leg color, feather patterns... If they are a landrace, why is there an SOP? Or should the SOP be purely about type, behavior, eggs...
Just curious.

http://greenfirefarms.com/2011/08/playi … race-card/

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2013-01-01 19:40:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-01-01 20:27:08

Maggiesdad

Re: Landrace?

Orozco took the Euskal landrace and locked in the five types we speak of. (llodiana is a separate breed)

There is a Spanish SOP that denotes the type and the feathering of the five varieties. Through proper selection and breeding, a breeder of the Euskal Oiloa should be able to reproduce birds that are true to type and color. Through improper breeding and selection, the birds will devolve into mutts that are not representative of the breed. They will however, still be chickens. ;)

This is all just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

I fully expect to spend several years of selection and breeding, I have no idea whether I will attain the goal of reproducing EOs that are true to type. I do expect to have fun during the process though!

#3 2013-01-01 20:41:48

poplar girl
Administrator

First my disclaimer, this is my opinion and I am no expert.

In European countries where the EOs originated, and/or are more common and are entered in poultry shows on a regular basis there is an Standard of Perfection. So I don't believe EOs are considered a landrace in Europe at this point.

That SOP translated to English and with some detail added to make it more closely resemble the format of descriptions used in the American Poultry Association SOP is what our draft SOP for EOs was based on. It actually has only been written for the breed in general and the marraduna variety but not for the other varieties at this point.

If people desire to select for specific traits an SOP is important. For me, because my knowledge of poultry is still limited and I appreciate the advice and input from the APA judges I can get at a show, I am leaning towards also entering EOs in a few poultry shows. I haven't done so yet but I would plan to take along a copy of the SOP we drafted and get the judges opinion on both my birds and the SOP to assist with finding any inconsistencies or missing details. That said I do believe a few people have entered them in poultry shows both before and after our forum version of the SOP was written so perhaps it is not critical if one wishes to enter a few birds in a show. 

If in the longer run a group of breeders wishes to have one or more varieties of EOs recognized by the APA, a SOP along with breeding records, a history of show results and quite a few other things must be demonstrated over a number of years and generations of birds.

For some people I think a landrace could be seen as being a more "natural" way to raise poultry, providing the opportunity to retain more genetic diversity in a flock.  I would argue that you can maintain good genetic diversity and still raise birds of a breed to match an SOP. A breed can still have different recognized varieties that vary in color or comb type for example. As well there will be traits not outlined in the SOP that vary from bird to bird within a flock and from one flock to another.

So...the goal of having birds conform to an SOP can be seen as positive or negative I suppose depending on your point of view.

To me personally I see a landrace as sort of wishy-washy. You need to be able to tell what breed it is but for several characteristics there can be variation. Well who gets to decide when the variation is too much? Who gets to decide which characteristic define the breed?

It's a good topic NaturesPace, I think I might need to do some further reading on land races and I would love to hear other's opinions.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2013-01-02 16:35:06

NaturesPace
Website

Thanks guys, this is helpful for me. I would love to hear what others think too.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2013-01-03 20:30:37

Maggiesdad

Karen has an awesome post on BYC, that sort of pertains to your question... Post#5, but the whole thread is good!

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/714760/dorkings

#6 2013-01-03 21:49:15

Little Boy Blue
Website

When I got EO's I really hadn't done any research on them.  I have a pure strain of Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans, and Skyline Poultry took over the official preservation flocks for this blood line about this time last year.  I got in touch with them and saw the EO's posted on their website.  There was no uniformity in color so I just assumed they were similar to the Swedish Flower Hen and Icelandic.  All I remembered reading was that they were supposed to be a good dual purpose bird, and supper friendly.  Sounded perfect to me, so when chance landed 5 EO eggs in our hands through a Rare Breed Assortment of Hatching eggs, I felt it was a sign that I was supposed to have EO's.  I already had them when I started learning about them and admit I was really disappointed that there was a color standard.  We wanted a utility bird that we could focus on meat an production and not have to worry about whether our breeders had 5 or 6 points on their comb, if they had white of gray undercoats, bay or brown eyes, etc.

I want to work with others on the EO breed and if we all have different goals, then we will never make any progress.  We choose to work towards a standard so that others will want to work with us.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2013-01-03 21:50:41)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#7 2013-01-04 01:00:42

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

Karen has an awesome post on BYC, that sort of pertains to your question... Post#5, but the whole thread is good!

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/714760/dorkings

MD thanks for that link, I just downloaded the book Karen referenced and I think I need to do some reading.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2013-01-04 01:01:56

Maggiesdad

Little Boy Blue wrote:

I want to work with others on the EO breed and if we all have different goals, then we will never make any progress.  We choose to work towards a standard so that others will want to work with us.

I had been following the work y'all were doing on the Legbar SOP, but I fell behind with the holidays and everything else... we need a good blizzard that doesn't knock out the power, to give me time to catch up!

#9 2013-01-11 17:20:32

Little Boy Blue
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Little Boy Blue wrote:

I had been following the work y'all were doing on the Legbar SOP, but I fell behind with the holidays and everything else... we need a good blizzard that doesn't knock out the power, to give me time to catch up!

Well...you didn't miss much over the Holiday.  Everyone took time off from chickens to spend with family.  I think the plan at this point is to finish the first draft off-line from the comment on the BYC thread. I learned a lot, but definitely  could benefit from copy of the APA book to learn all the proper terminology.

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

Adverts

Board footer