Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-12-16 23:56:57

poplar girl
Administrator

Plans for a heirloom vegetable garden in 2013

I just put in me seed order to Heritage Harvest Seeds as I've decided to grow a heirloom vegetable garden in 2013. I am amazed by the variety of seeds of most vegetable they have available for what I consider to be a reasonable price. Especially for tomatoes it was hard to choose so I have ended up purchasing a few more varieties than I should have. There is even a wide variety that have been selected to be productive in cool conditions and a short season, certainly a consideration for my area.  I also ordered their Seed Savers book. I doubt I will save my own seeds from certain veggies, like carrots or beet that are biennials so take two years to produce seeds, but I plan to give it a try for some. I wonder if maybe over time I can select to improve for production in my area.

At some point I would really like to try a year where we produce almost everything we eat. My own version of the 100 mile diet although as there are not really any people producing anything amazing within 100 miles I might as well shrink my radius to 20 miles or so. yu self sustaining adventure will likely have to wait until I'm not working full time though so for now I will just practice.

Anyone else grow heirloom veggies and save their own seeds? Any favorites I should consider growing?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-12-16 23:56:57

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-12-17 21:00:58

riverbendfarm
Website

Re: Plans for a heirloom vegetable garden in 2013

We do grow some heirlooms here on Riverbend Farm.

Most notable of those are a yellow-pod flat bean that can be eaten as a snap bean, or dried as a black bean type (they are actually a cool bluish purple color). The original seeds for this bean came over from Italy in a man's shirt pocket in 1922. He and his wife were visiting family in Italy and he wanted to bring back a taste of home. I save the seeds myself for planting. The bean has an excellent buttery mild flavour, not woody and very tasty. It is simply called "Tonello Bean".

Also we grew a variety of beefsteak tomato called "Wentzell", which was brought from Europe by the Wentzell family who began the original homestead that later became my property. (I live at the end of Wentzell Road =). It is firm and fleshy and slices wonderfully. We also tried another green shouldered type called "Black Plum" which were quite good producers of plum sized sweet tomatoes and extremely popular with the EO's :banginghead:

We grow a small eating pumpkin that is a pinkish peach color. Excellent soft flesh, only grows about the size of a soccer ball at most, many were smaller. It made the most delicious homemade pumpkin pie I have ever tasted, and when roasted the aroma goes through the entire house...so yummy. We got the seeds from our parish priest before he passed away last summer and just call them "Pink Pumpkins".

Finally last year we had the MOST prolific trumpet squash I have ever seen. I still have 2 crates of the suckers down in the cold cellar. Another Italian variety called "Tromboncina" or sumsuch, can be eaten as a summer squash when young, or a winter if you let it develop a rind on the field. I'll plant them again, but just less of the suckers as they were EVERYWHERE!

I'll be looking for hierloom strawberries such as "Empire" or some other traditional; English favorite for a rather large strawberry patch this summer, and I want to plant some "Haskap" or honeyberry bushes as well.  Plans...plans...plans... :cozy:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#3 2012-12-18 01:28:16

poplar girl
Administrator

Very neat RBF, sounds like you have made the leap to having some of your own heirloom veggies with a history on your property, that's where I hope to be in a few years.

The chooks are still eating pumpkin from my first attempt at getting heirloom seeds from someone else this spring. The plants ended up being a cross so I didn't keep seed but the pumpkins turned out well enough in either case with lost for us and to share with the chickens.

With the seed saving book in hand I hope to figure out what veggies are cross pollinated and which self pollinated so I can end up with pure seed, either by growing only 1 variety of the cross pollinators or by keeping them physically separated.

All this planning keeps me out of trouble 7until spring comes round :cozy:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-12-18 12:08:24

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We get a lot of our seeds from heritage seeds, but will just buy a  few grocery ones with the farm being for sale.  I'll talk to Nathan, the last few years he has done the ordering and will remind me of more.

Tomatoes-Purple Cherokee, Black Cherry (the one that is evenly coloured all over), and Brandywine are the best, though we have grown over 50 varieties, so ask if you are curious about one you have read, we have grown Rainbow, load of purple russian ones that were quite popular.   We tend to stay away from the yellow in quantity, as they can be more sour, you have to add sugar to any pasta sauce you make! :whistle:

Pole beans-dragon's tongue and one with lady in the name maybe were the best from there?  There were 2 or 3  others Nathan said didn't really taste and the multicoloured (Sadie's Rocking horse) one didn't impress us much.

#5 2012-12-18 14:00:17

Flat Rock Farm

Wow some very interesting veggies.  I have never grown "heirloom seeds"  I usually just go down to William Dam Seeds and get them from their.  Where can you order them from??

Claire those Pole beans you grow are amazing, never seen beans like that before.  I am not sure if I have ever asked, how do they taste??

#6 2012-12-18 15:49:55

Maggiesdad

These are wonderful folks right here in the county. I love their selection.

http://www.southernexposure.com/

#7 2012-12-18 15:55:00

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Paula those big red ones if you ever saw them here are chinese noodle beans, I got those seeds from Chickenlee on PSO, Nathan says  they were better dried, but maybe we harvested too late when they were fresh.  Yields were awesome too!

We got our heritage seeds book already, I'll look through it  this is their website  http://www.heritageharvestseed.com/

#8 2012-12-18 17:47:10

Flat Rock Farm

Thanks Claire and Glen for the links.  I don't think I can get seeds sent from the US :huh:

#9 2012-12-19 01:08:49

poplar girl
Administrator

You might not be able to get seeds from the US Paula but Heritage Harvest Seeds is located in Manitoba, that's where I ordered from.

Unlike most modern varieties that are hybrids, you can save the seeds from heirloom veggies and plant them again the next year getting the same great results and the rights to the varieities are not owned by anyone (breeders rights) so it is completely legal (and encouraged) to do just that.

I have to admit I like planning the garden, starting the seedlings and eating the results MUCH more than I like weeding, picking and preparing them :oops:

#10 2012-12-19 02:03:12

Maggiesdad

Tell me what you want, Paula, and I'll slip them into a bag of 15 bean soup...  :P

The you can have the fun of sorting everything back out! :funny:

#11 2013-04-25 00:30:47

ScottMcCray

Maggiesdad wrote:

Tell me what you want, Paula, and I'll slip them into a bag of 15 bean soup...  :P

Whatever you do, don't make 15 bean soup and share it with Glen...just sayin'...:whistle::roadtrip::sick:

#12 2013-04-25 00:44:04

Lindy Lou

Remember what I told you Paula.
If Claire and I get cornered we"ll both sing like canaries. :whistle:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#13 2013-04-25 01:18:20

Flat Rock Farm

ScottMcCray wrote:

Maggiesdad wrote:

Whatever you do, don't make 15 bean soup and share it with Glen...just sayin'...:whistle::roadtrip::sick:

Oooo that could be disastrous :nervous: :funny:

Ah Lynn your such a good friend :gunslinger:

#14 2013-04-25 02:24:32

Lindy Lou

:oops:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#15 2013-04-28 23:50:04

poplar girl
Administrator

My favorite part of gardening, starting the seedlings. No Weeding!!
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/General/6b3941bfaf26fac6824034ddcb928f27.jpg

#16 2013-04-29 00:10:59

pops coops
Website

I grow many heirloom veggies, I have mortgage buster tomatoes as well as others and my favorite beet it the Detroit red, they do not loose color when you make borsch, I also experiment with others, Gardens are not huge but I have 2 and feed many friends all summer long.

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

Adverts

Board footer