Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-12-09 15:38:34

picis peeps

Incubator question

We have been using a home made incubator each spring just to hatch 10-20 eggs but DH wants something a little bigger / better.  I have seen a good second hand 1588 Electronic Termostat Hova Bator.  Does anyone have one of these and if so what is your opinion of it?

2012-12-09 15:38:34

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-12-09 23:11:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Incubator question

I think Stefan is the Hova expert here and has had much success with them! =D

#3 2012-12-09 23:55:09

Flat Rock Farm

I still have one and do use it.  Mostly I use it to hatch, fairly good results.

#4 2012-12-10 01:22:44

Susan
Administrator

I'm not sure what model I have but I use a hovabator and like it all right. The only thing is that styrofoam is hard to clean. They are also not as precise as the turn x or sportsmans I used last year, but for the price, I think they are good.

#5 2012-12-10 12:20:54

poplar girl
Administrator

Yep, a hovabator can do the job. Can you ask what kind of hatch rates the previous owner of it had? That would tell you a lot about the manufacturer's accuracy with the temperature setting. And once the eggs start to pip don't open that lid until the end, I find they aren't very good at getting the humidity back up if you open the lid.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-12-10 13:14:43

picis peeps

Thank you guys, once again you have been most helpful.  I knew I could rely on you for good advice.

#7 2012-12-10 16:27:28

Little Boy Blue
Website

I used a Brower 846 electric incubator for 6 years growing up, but didn't have my first 100% hatch until I borrowed a Styrofoam incubator for a hatch after moving across the country at age 16 and leaving the Brower behind.  I have now used 6-7 different style of incubators.  The Hoverbator defiantly gets the job done.

I wouldn't rely on the temperature setting on the Hoverbator to set the temperature (or humidity).  I would get a second (or third) thermometer that you can put inside the incubator to read the temperature and adjust the temperature accordingly.  When my Hoverbator reads 99.5 deg, the top of the eggs are actually 99.8 to 100.2 deg F.  By adjusting the setting to a few points below the desired temperature I can get a steady temperature at any point I desire (I have experimented at different temperatures for different breeds).  I also have done the same thing with humidity.  The humidity reading inside the incubator was about 4% different than what the Hoverbator reads.  I never calibrated my Hydrometer, but I had used it for hatches in other incubators, so I know relative to how those hatches had gone what humidity levels I wanted with respect to the hydrometer so if I had used the Hoverbator I would have been 4% off from what I had in the former incubators.  I didn't use the #1 #2 water troughs as recommended because I couldn't get the humidity to where I wanted it.  I ended up with my own water fill patterns. 

Since I have a separate hatcher I start eggs in the Hoverbator, and then move them to the hatcher on day 18, so I don't have any problems with the cleanup of the Styrofoam after hatch. :-)

The most important thing for a good hatch is the health of the parent stock and storage and handling of the eggs.  If you can keep the incubator in a room with constant temperature and humidity you can achieve the desired conditions for hatching with about any incubator.  If you put the incubator in a place where humidity and temperature vary , then the type of incubator makes a much bigger difference as some will be able to hold steady humidity and temperature despite outside changes in environment and others won’t.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2012-12-10 16:29:44)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#8 2012-12-10 17:38:08

texastinsel

This is so helpful!  Thanks for sharing your knowledge.  I am getting ready to set some eggs again soon and needed a refresher course.:thanks:

Adverts

Board footer