Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-11-22 05:35:48

Micah and Kiah

Free to a Mille Fleur loving home EO home!

This EO guy is so sweet it would be a shame to have him processed.  Anyone know anyone looking for a barnyard roo or wanting to breed Mille Fleur coloured chickens? Legs and toes straight and yellow (he is standing funny on the plastic)

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1080907.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1080912.jpg

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2012-11-22 05:35:48

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-22 12:55:25

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Free to a Mille Fleur loving home EO home!

This is the first Millie cockerel I have seen, is he ever pretty!!!!

Unfortunately I have no more room for roosters :nervous:

#3 2012-11-22 13:31:38

gubi
Website

He's very nice.  You will have to pair him up with the millie pullet and breed some more millies!  The marraduna are nice but boy those marraduna milllies are something special.  There are no other large fowl breed that are near as pretty!  Someone should take up breeding them!  I have had lots of millie pullets and a a few cockerels with some millie in them but none as much as this guy.  Is he from Claire too?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2012-11-22 13:41:28

Flat Rock Farm

Does anyone know where the colour strain comes from in the Millie's???  Just curious as they pop up so frequently, more just the pullets that I have seen here.  I would love to work with them but have no more room at the Inn :sad:

#5 2012-11-22 14:28:51

Susan
Administrator

Is he ever cool!

#6 2012-11-22 17:40:32

Lisa

Is he ever pretty!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#7 2012-11-22 18:37:33

Micah and Kiah

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

This is the first Millie cockerel I have seen, is he ever pretty!!!!

Unfortunately I have no more room for roosters :nervous:

He'd get along fine with your BLRW roo.  He is a lover not a fighter!  I have him in a group of 20 bachelors.  Real sweetie.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#8 2012-11-22 18:40:10

Micah and Kiah

Thanks Gubi.  Yes he is from Claire too.  I thought he was a pullet (before you taught me the difference) and sent him off to my friend's place in town.  When he started crowing he moved home to me. I have never seen a Mille boy of this age before...guess they usually get processed.  Maybe we can start a new undiscovered line of Maradunnas  The North American Mille Fleur.

gubi wrote:

He's very nice.  You will have to pair him up with the millie pullet and breed some more millies!  The marraduna are nice but boy those marraduna milllies are something special.  There are no other large fowl breed that are near as pretty!  Someone should take up breeding them!  I have had lots of millie pullets and a a few cockerels with some millie in them but none as much as this guy.  Is he from Claire too?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#9 2012-11-22 20:17:07

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Wow what a pretty rooster!  :love: he has some really deep colours and the tight barring then all that wiite and the striking millie spots! Gorgeous.  We never had any like that ever! :cheer:

#10 2012-11-23 01:04:55

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh I like him :love: he almost looks heterozygous for barring but I don't think that could be the case from Claire's EO. Too bad I wasn't closer. He looks like he has a really great personality.

I plan to breed the Mille marraduna. I just love the pretty color pattern. So far I only have hens, no dedicated rooster, maybe one will pop up next year.

Paula mottling is recessive I think. I need to reread those chapters in my Genetics of Chicken Colours book. And no idea when/how the trait got into the EOs.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2012-11-23 02:32:12

NaturesPace
Website

Oh my. He is so cute. I wish I could get. Him here. I have two Millie girls that would be nice for him to hang out with. Hope he can find a nice home being he sounds very rare.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#12 2012-11-23 03:03:57

Micah and Kiah

Well, I think we will keep him then and you've all convinced me to save him from the processing plant!  Now...how do I break the news to Dennis?

PG, what does hetergeneous barring mean?  When I got the young EOs Claire had the one from Susan banded so that is how I am certain he is from Claire's. He is the cockeral I call Back Up. The others from Susan were Gorria boys.

This Mille was very well cared for by my friend and his kids.  I was really impressed with the weight, skin tone and feather health.

He was well loved by my friends.  If he hadn't insisted on crowing on his house every morning he'd still be there.

PG, want to do an egg exchange?  I will breed my Mille boy to my 3 mille pullets and ship you eggs?  Claire has a great article on how to ship eggs and might give me advice so I don't mess up.  I'd love to get gorria and maraduna eggs from you.  Let me know!

poplar girl wrote:

Oh I like him :love: he almost looks heterozygous for barring but I don't think that could be the case from Claire's EO. Too bad I wasn't closer. He looks like he has a really great personality.

I plan to breed the Mille marraduna. I just love the pretty color pattern. So far I only have hens, no dedicated rooster, maybe one will pop up next year.

Paula mottling is recessive I think. I need to reread those chapters in my Genetics of Chicken Colours book. And no idea when/how the trait got into the EOs.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#13 2012-11-24 14:26:17

poplar girl
Administrator

Micah and Kiah wrote:

PG, want to do an egg exchange?  I will breed my Mille boy to my 3 mille pullets and ship you eggs?  Claire has a great article on how to ship eggs and might give me advice so I don't mess up.  I'd love to get gorria and maraduna eggs from you.  Let me know!

I don't have a lot of experience egg shipping M&K but I am certainly willing to try a swap in the spring. With both of us having EOs and d'uccles it could be WAY better than Christmas getting those packages of eggs in the mail :excited:

Why is it every year I say "this year I will just hatch from my own birds" and every year I am like a kid in a caddy store in the spring unable to avoid the temptation of eggs in the mail? Awe, who cares, it's so much fun!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#14 2012-11-24 16:16:56

dahlisgrams

I'd keep him! What a beautifully marked bird. Love that pattern.:thumbsup:

#15 2012-11-24 23:52:12

Susan
Administrator

Makes me think he is a cross with my Roo Apollo and one of my milles hens. Any chance Claire forgot to band him?

#16 2012-11-25 03:09:40

Micah and Kiah

What do you think Claire?  If you've never had any like that, any chance his band to mark that he Susan's stock fell off?

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

Wow what a pretty rooster!  :love: he has some really deep colours and the tight barring then all that wiite and the striking millie spots! Gorgeous.  We never had any like that ever! :cheer:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#17 2012-11-25 04:46:24

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

His band would have to have fallen off as I had them in separate hatches then pens for the longest time.  There were some Maradunnas in Susan's eggs I think and you got 1 or 2 roos those with the Gorrias I think.  He does look more like Susan's with that tight barring.  Our jazziest guys looked more like Curly than anything.

#18 2012-11-25 19:35:29

Micah and Kiah

Awesome!  An Apollo son!  :excited:  I announced to Dennis today that this guy (who needs a name, did the greek god Apollo have kids?) is NOT going to be processed.  Perhaps I should have tried a softer approach...

Anyway he was a good sport and after saying, "Sure, he can stay, just start an online  Save the Mille EO by paying for his Winter Feed Fund!"  He laughed.  We are trying to get our numbers down to 70, like Claire has it, as it is easier to manage the flock and keep the records as detailed as I like.

So the son of Apollo stays and hopefully you'll all want eggs or chicks in the Spring!:excited:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#19 2012-11-26 16:04:45

Little Boy Blue
Website

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Does anyone know where the colour strain comes from in the Millie's???  Just curious as they pop up so frequently, more just the pullets that I have seen here.  I would love to work with them but have no more room at the Inn :sad:

Jeffery near San Angelo, Texas was discussing EO's with me a few weeks ago and looked into Penedenseca when I told him I believed that they are what our North American EO's were crossed with. 

Take a look at the photo of the Partrige x Wheaton Penedenseca on Feathersite.com that Jeffery shared. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/ … Penes.html

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Penes/MFPeneSport.JPEG

I would think that one could make a strong case for a Marraduna EO x Crele Penedenseca.  So...I guess that along with the Wheaton (eWh) E locus we probablly of Partridge (eb) in our EO lines. 

Someone was saying that one of the way to tell the difference between a Wheaton Marans and and a Partrige Marans is the undercolor.  Does anyone know anythig about fluff and undercolors?  Is the underfluff determined by the E Locus, or is the cream under color for wheaton and white undercolor for partrige that I read about in the Marans lines due to breed standards and selective breeding?

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2012-11-26 16:12:41)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#20 2012-11-26 16:30:35

poplar girl
Administrator

LBB...might be time for a new thread as when I get going on genetics....well....not everyone will want to keep reading :oops:

There is some info on here already on the e alleles and the EOs from our genetics discussions last winter. At that time I wasn't able to conclusively tell from the underluff color of any of the birds whether we had eb showing up. I observed my chicks as they matured fairly closely this year however and I believe some of my birds are ewh x eb. As adults the underfluff is all white/cream but as chicks some had some pretty grey fluff not just the chick down but as they feathered out, those I strongly suspect are ewh x eb although I can't be certain. To confuse thing though, I have never seen and EO adult with anything but cream underfluff as of yet though and I do keep checking as I think that is what the homozygous eb birds would have.

Okay...no more about that on this thread from me....I promise.

#21 2012-11-26 17:27:42

mikencarol

..............PG....let us know if you do start another thread about genetics...I am dumb as a rock about them....but I am smart enough to listen to someone who knows about them  :shock:   Thanks.........Mike.....hey sometimes I even pay attention to Maggiesdad........:chairhide:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#22 2012-11-26 17:38:21

Flat Rock Farm

Little Boy Blue wrote:

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Jeffery near San Angelo, Texas was discussing EO's with me a few weeks ago and looked into Penedenseca when I told him I believed that they are what our North American EO's were crossed with. 

Take a look at the photo of the Partrige x Wheaton Penedenseca on Feathersite.com that Jeffery shared. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/ … Penes.html

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/ … Sport.JPEG

I would think that one could make a strong case for a Marraduna EO x Crele Penedenseca.  So...I guess that along with the Wheaton (eWh) E locus we probablly of Partridge (eb) in our EO lines. 

Someone was saying that one of the way to tell the difference between a Wheaton Marans and and a Partrige Marans is the undercolor.  Does anyone know anythig about fluff and undercolors?  Is the underfluff determined by the E Locus, or is the cream under color for wheaton and white undercolor for partrige that I read about in the Marans lines due to breed standards and selective breeding?

I think you got it there LBB :thumbs:  Explains a lot of where the white legs and the millie pattern is showing up, also why the roosters and our "Lady Grey" pullets get it from as well.  I didn't realize that the Penny's came Creole, boy do the roosters ever look like EO's :shock:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-11-26 17:41:14)

Adverts

Board footer