Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-11-18 19:00:19

poplar girl
Administrator

Pumpkin Pie

We grew pumpkins this year, from heritage seems collected and mailed to me in a seed exchange actually. They ended up bing a cross with something as one plant made green pumpkins (orange inside) and the other was more like it should have been. Anway, it was a great year for pumpkins and we ended up with lots. At Canadian Thanksgiving we were still scrambling to get read for an early winter so the pumpkins sat and we had apple pie instead (my personall altime favorite).
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/General/d1344a6139fa807226e1c6594dd1374d.jpg

Yesterday I finally processed the pumpkins. 10 bags or pumpkin purée in the freezer and bags of pumpkin chunks for the chooks over the long cold winter (1 month down 5 to go :cozy:) the chickens and turkeys also got to clean out some shells which they loved. I also roasted the seeds and they turned out very nice.

Today pumpkin pie. The recipie called for more home grown ingredients than most and turned out very nice so I thought I'd share. Good timing perhaps for American Thanksgiving next weekend :US: :turkey:

4 cups pumpkin purée
1 1/2 cups of honey, slightly warm
1 cup cream or evaporated milk
8 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
Nutmeg to taste (we love fresh ground nutmeg)

Combine all ingredients. Makes enough filling for 2 pies. Bake pies at 400F for 15 minutes than reduce temperature to 350F and cook an additional 35 minutes.

It was neat to be able to use pumpkin, eggs and honey we grew ourselves. :eat:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-11-18 19:00:19

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-19 00:46:34

Maggiesdad

Re: Pumpkin Pie

Wow! That sounds yummy! :eat:

#3 2012-11-19 01:30:09

Susan
Administrator

Nice recipe PG! I will have to give it a go... The kids have been bugging me for a pumpkin pie! :eat:

#4 2012-11-19 12:15:59

Flat Rock Farm

Very different looking pumpkins PG.   I have seen then being sold here by they want double the price of a regular pumpkin.  I just use mine for decorating until after Halloween.  I had four, the one our Puppy decided she has acquired a taste for and carved a big hole in it with her teeth, then proceeded to eat the guts :shock:.
I haven't ever made "fresh" pumpkin pie and it's too late as all the pumpkins I had have been given to the chickens which the loved!!! :eat:

#5 2012-11-19 17:18:07

mikencarol

...pg....those are a really neat shaped pumpkins.....so many of the pumpkins today are "tall' looking and just not a pretty shape.  Hope you kept some seed!!!!!!  On the 'other thread' somebody was fermenting pumpkins and feeding to their birds  :wine:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#6 2012-11-20 00:34:36

poplar girl
Administrator

They were supposed to be rouge vif d'etampes aka the "cinderella pumpkin" as they are supposed to resemble her coach in the Disney movie. They look similar in shape but the color is off. I still have a few seeds left but I plan to order some from a heritage supplier and start fresh instead. I really like the idea of growing heritage variety fruits and veggies and keeping my own seed. I have even thought (in passing at this point) about having a small CSA (community supported agriculture) but I think working full time I am just too busy. If we lived closer to a major urban centre so interest and prices were a bit higher I certainly would.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-11-20 01:36:46

Susan
Administrator

If you ever want to do it PG, let me know. I did one for a couple years with 20 subscribers. It was great, but ALOT of intense work during the season. I still have regular customers who want veg each year because of it. It can be an amazing group- gratifying for both farmer and supporter

Adverts

Board footer