Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-11-18 00:16:56

Susan
Administrator

15 less mouths to feed..

We butchered 15 Roos today. All of the gorria and 4 marradunna plus others. I made some really tough decisions today. I would have liked to have kept two of the marradunna, and a gorria, but have to start downsizing. I can't keep up with chores with these classes I'm taking. I still feel rotten. I usually dread butchering day and theN after its over, am glad for the meat and less drama, but not today.  Feel a bit sick actually. On a good note, I kept five roasters that were between four and five pounds and we parted and skinned all the rest. I have two pots of chicken stock on the stove that I will pressure can tomorrow. I will keep some and sell the rest to my egg customers for some much needed income.

2012-11-18 00:16:56

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-18 00:29:49

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: 15 less mouths to feed..

I can imagine it was difficult Susan. Choices do have to be made though and priorities set. And it's not as though they are going to waste, they will feed your family or others. We can't forget that is a very important purpose.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2012-11-18 00:35:46

Lindy Lou

We have that nasty task coming up here too. I have got three beautiful Americauna Roos,two Salmon Favorelles and 4 or 5 Eo's. I am also faced with a terrible dilemma. I have two EO Roos., one Manuel came from Paula and the other I h atched. The one I hatched looks to be a better colour than Manny who has gotten quite grey through the chest. Trouble is I named Manny and got to know him. The thought of sending him to freezer camp makes me feel ill. Also one of Paula's  pullets turned into a beautiful white Americauna Rooster which means if I keep him then Roger my other Americauna roo must go. OMG!!!!:banginghead:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2012-11-18 00:43:51

Maggiesdad

Give thanks for food, and hug the living! :happycrowd"

#5 2012-11-18 00:55:38

NaturesPace
Website

It is good that you can benefit with a few good meals. It's hard to make those decisions, but its for the best. :hug:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#6 2012-11-18 04:05:47

mikencarol

......:sick:  That is the reason I used to never name my Chickens...plus I have 15 pens of them...I don't even know that many names!!!!!!  :duh:  I think if ya name them...it's harder to kill um.  Out of all my birds, I only have 3 named...Peckerhead, Oil Change, and Clorox.

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#7 2012-11-18 11:29:58

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

I try real hard not to name them as well.  When they do get names we stick to food related ones such as, tasty, or delicious.  We had a very handsome Barred Rock rooster that was named Mike, he came with that name.  It was a very sad and emotional day for all of us when my husband Mike, put all the chickens away but, Mike the rooster was hiding.  He let the dogs out and one of them found Mike the rooster and dispatched him very quickly. 

Susan, you may be sad and a bit heartbroken right now but, you are doing what is right for your family and for the EO breed.  You are feeding your family and earning some income plus, by breeding off only the best EO's, you are helping to strengthen the EO line.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#8 2012-11-18 12:51:16

Flat Rock Farm

Well you have to do what's best for your flock and yourself even though very difficult to do.  I would be happy for the meat from mine if I had a place that was decently close to process them.   I was able to re-home all my extra cockerels from this season.

LL, sorry Manny turned out to be so grey, they change so much as they mature even though he looked good as a young cockerel, and poor Roger I thought someone would have scooped him up as he is really beautiful.

To all that have the deed a head of them and those that have done in the past a big :happycrowd"

#9 2012-11-18 16:43:36

Lindy Lou

We were talking about it all this morning and I think we will chicken out, no :funny: Pun intended  and take them to the processors. Claire was kind enough to offer to help but because we are on first name terms with a few of them it is easier to get someone else to deal with it. Of course I don't know if I can even get them in as I'm sure the processors will all be busy.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#10 2012-11-18 19:15:10

poplar girl
Administrator

Do it that way LL, i think it will be much easier emotionally for you to take them to the processors. Once a year that's what we do. I try to keep hatching consolidated within about a month to 6 weeks so everyone can go at the same time. I make an appointment for around 9 am, DH comes with me (it is a 2.5 hr drive each way so makes for an early morning) and we spend the day there shopping at all the farm supply stores, have a nice lunch, and then pick up our birds around 3 pm and head for home. this was the second year we did it and once again are really happy we did. The birds are very nicely cleaned and plucked and bagged. They will cut them into parts or weight/price them as well if you want. It costs a bit more but I can also legally sell the end product if I choose to. The processor will do both chickens and turkeys.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2012-11-18 20:24:55

Lindy Lou

I think that is what we will do providing we can get them into the processors. At this time of year who knows. I really do have to get over the terible guilt I have culling my birds. If I am going to keep chickens and hatch my own I am going to have to deal with the same issue over and over again. I know they are better for us than what you buy in the store and they have had a good life here. Always well fed and never mistreated and numbers dictate how many roosters I can keep especially in the winter when they have to go into the barn and space is more limited. So I keep having the same conversation inside my head, Blimey that could be dangerous!!! :funny: Talking to my self is one thing but if I start answering my self too :Crazy:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-11-18 20:30:56)

#12 2012-11-20 20:28:06

Little Boy Blue
Website

Susan wrote:

We butchered 15 Roos today..... I made some really tough decisions....

Yep...me too.  I had eight (8) 21 week old cockerels from Greenfire Farms to thin out on Saturday.  Four of them were free of defects and fit the mimimum size and breeding requirments for this year.  I have been sorting through them for a few weeks trying to decide if I should save one and if so who.  I have two older Skyline cockerels too so I didn't need any of these per say.  Processing the four culls was pretty straight forwards, but chooseing which one to take next was a little harder after that.  When I got down to the two best, I didn't know which one I would keep and which one would go.  I decide to keep the more inteligent one of the two.  The one with the better color and better comb (but not as good type and not half as smart) went to the freezer. 

Yes,  The feed is lasting a lot longer in Pen #3 now with only one cockerel and seven pullets remaining.

P.S. All of the boys in the feezer had names. I found that if I don't give them names they end up with names to distingusish them from the others anyways. I have about 60 chickens and about 40 of them including all the Basque have names.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2012-11-20 20:37:17)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#13 2012-11-20 23:22:28

Lindy Lou

Well I took the moral high ground or maybe the low ground and got them booked into the processors for Dec 6. This way I don't have to call on the kindness and good will of my friends or make my husband do the dirty work. When they come back they will no longer be Manny or Roger,they'll just be dinner :eat:

#14 2012-11-21 14:17:12

Maggiesdad

Atta girl! :applause: :hug:

#15 2012-11-21 14:34:48

mikencarol

....WOOPS.....I must have taken the low road cause Turkey # 1 is in the frig chillin' and after 1 more cup of coffee....Turkey # 2 is going to hang out and chill with # 1.  I spend alot of time with my birds but when it comes down to this time, I just psych myself out and become Elmer Fudd   :turkey:   :eat:

Last edited by mikencarol (2012-11-21 14:36:32)

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#16 2012-11-22 01:37:18

poplar girl
Administrator

mikencarol wrote:

I spend alot of time with my birds but when it comes down to this time, I just psych myself out and become Elmer Fudd   :turkey:   :eat:

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/character/smiley-vault-character-022.gif
Maybe not quite the right image but I love this smilie so I had to add it!

I'm with LL on that high road ALL the way to Dublin :whistle: or the processors as the case might be.

Adverts

Board footer