Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-11-04 18:48:23

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Rendering Pork Fat

We raised 2 pigs this year, sold 1 and had the other slaughtered and butchered for our family.  He is delicious!    I had to have a licenced butcher as I had pre sold half of our pig and the rules here are that if you want to sell, it has to be processed by a government inspected facility and the butchering must be done by an inspected, licensed butcher.

Anyway, we asked for all the fat, bones and head to be returned to us.  The other animals here will enjoy the bits of meat on the bones, the dogs will get parts of the head and I have the fat to render.

My question to all you seasoned pork people is, What is the best way to render the fat?   I have heard that some people do it in the oven, others in a frying pan, some add water and others don't.  I really don't know much about the method, other than what I have learned on the Internet.  My MIL used to render all the time but it was kind of hit and miss.  Sometimes it was a nice pure white and other times it was yellowish.

I have 50 pounds of fat in the freezer right now and I want to get it rendered down.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

I know Skeff is thinking about cracklins now.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

2012-11-04 18:48:23

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-11-04 21:31:05

Maggiesdad

Re: Rendering Pork Fat

I have no experience rendering, all mine is still in the freezer. :duh:

With 50lb, you have enough to try several methods and get back to us which is best! :jumping:

http://www.thetasteoforegon.com/2011/12 … ith-video/

And

http://www.spain-in-iowa.com/2011/02/ho … now-white/

#3 2012-11-04 22:11:04

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:thanks:  I did see those links a while back but it was nice to visit them again.  I hope to be able to do all the rendering in one day.  It will have to wait a few weeks as right now we are so busy trying to get everything done before the snow arrives.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#4 2012-11-04 22:14:25

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hey Bessie, you will love it.  And it smells so delicious, not like the rendering I had envisioned. I rendered it in the crock pot.  Mince it in the meat grinder, then put it in on low and keep ladling off the clear stuff after if starts to melt, takes about an hour to get any really melting.  Maybe takes 3 hours in all if you fill a big crock pot.  Try not to squeeze the ladle on the fat stuff (looks like rice pudding under the clear melted fat) as you get a bit of meat juice too.  What I did was ladled it off the top til I couldn't ladle any more without pressing on the fat.  The first stuff was all odorless and fine for baking, then the last 2 jars had squeezings in them and they get used for sauteed potatoes and roasting savoury stuff etc, I just wrote on the top of the wide mouth jars with a sharpie.  :eat:  It makes awesome scones!  :union jack:

I took pics too as I was going to do an article on it but haven't had time.  I'll upload them.  I forgot, I used a sieve and  a coffee filter to filter the melted fat!  I gave the melted white fatty remnants to the chooks and they love it!  :thumbs:

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Spring2012035.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Spring2012039.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Spring2012051.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Spring2012052.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Spring2012053.jpg

#5 2012-11-04 22:20:16

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Mike is looking forward to eating the bits left over, what you call cracklins.  He ate them when his Mom would render fat and can hardly wait now.  Even his brother wants us to save some for him.  It will be my first time trying it but I will give it a try.  It actually sounds tasty.

#6 2012-11-04 22:27:22

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Updated with pics.  It will smell delicious and it is so simple to do! =D  Just moved this to the foody area  :excited:  I got 6 jars in all, I think those were the last two.

#7 2012-11-11 02:30:30

ChestnutRidge
Website

I rendered pork fat that I bought from Polyface Farm.  I chopped the fat up into inch squares, put it in a big pot with some water, and cooked it pretty low until all of the water was evaporated.  I've just been using it as a cooking fat, and it is fantastic. 

I followed the directions here: http://www.thetasteoforegon.com/2011/12 … ith-video/

The cracklins are waaaaay too rich for me.  I use them as dog treats. =D

#8 2012-11-11 14:23:56

Maggiesdad

You are soooo much more personable now you're getting some animal protein and fat in your diet!!!  :funny:

Just kidding! :hi:

#9 2012-11-11 18:27:24

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I am going back to England in a couple of weeks and cannot wait to bring some "Porky Scratchings" back with me.  I may eat one or two while I am there too :chairhide: :union jack:   I think it is the damp that makes us crave fat so much, and the best puddings with custard have suet in them.  :eat:

#10 2012-11-12 01:25:45

picis peeps

OOOhhh Claire, not too keen on the pork scratchings but my mouth is just watering now for spotted dick, jam roly poly and sticky toffee pudding.  Actually, Costco now sell a really good sticky toffee pudding so that takes care of that craving.  And dont forget to fill up on the jars of cockles, faggots and mushy peas......wish I was coming with you with a big suitcase.  Have a great visit.

#11 2012-11-12 02:43:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I love the Heinz treacle pudding in a tin and do buy those when I go back, as well as curry powder and real hot colemans mustard for hubby.  My dad always wants germolene and savlon though I have no idea what he does with it :shock:  I'm not big on the other 3 tinned goodies you have there, though I will be bringing choc back :union jack: and Harrods tea-I'd better order it now.   Whereabouts are you from?  Me and my sis are flying into Manchester to go 20 miles East of Hull (Skeffling!)

#12 2012-11-12 19:46:21

picis peeps

I am originally from Pembrokeshire, South Wales and my hubby is from Torquay, but we lived in Norfolk for 20 years before moving to Canada.   Colemans mustard originates from Norwich, near where we lived,  they even have a museum there to commemorate it.  My father in law loved their powdered mustard.  I like germolene, my mum always put it on our grazed knees when we took a tumble.  You cant beat British galaxy chocolate,  I treat myself to a bar from a Brit Store that opened in Saskatoon last year, they now have Marks and Spencer xmas puds in so I have to take a trip there soon.  Its great to reminisce about British foods but nothing could entice me to move back there to live.  We find their weather so depressing and even though SK gets REALLY cold, it is usually dry and crisp and great for morale.  Have a great trip.

#13 2012-11-12 22:52:28

Maggiesdad

picis peeps wrote:

OOOhhh Claire, not too keen on the pork scratchings but my mouth is just watering now for spotted dick, jam roly poly and sticky toffee pudding.  Actually, Costco now sell a really good sticky toffee pudding so that takes care of that craving.  And dont forget to fill up on the jars of cockles, faggots and mushy peas......wish I was coming with you with a big suitcase.  Have a great visit.

The EO forum... I'm guaranteed to learn something new everyday - not necessarily pertaining to chickens, though! :funny:

#14 2012-11-12 23:03:24

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

I agree MD,  it's like a whole new adventure!  LOL

#15 2012-11-13 00:17:49

Lindy Lou

It's so funny to hear you talk about Germolene. I can't face drinking Root Beer because it smells just like it. Claire you can make a much better Treacle tart than the ones in a tin. Me I miss good Fish & Chips eaten out of the paper coming home from the pub. Speaking of pubs I miss Pubs and good warm English beer When you go home Claire see if you can stop in at Blue Heaven Pub on Southcoates Lane. My grandparents lived right across the road from the Fire Station and Blue Heaven was our local I sure my Grandad's spirit is still there. Probably pickled :wine:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#16 2012-11-13 12:40:54

Flat Rock Farm

Have a wonderful time back home Claire :union jack:

Well I have never been to England to visit a pub, but I think the closest we have here, which I love to go to is the St. George Arms Pub in St. George, they have on in Elora as well.
Lots of those foods mentioned I surprising know quite a few of them, my Great Grandmother was English so therefore she passed a lot of food things to my Grandmother which in turned passed them to my Mum.  I just have to be carful not to eat a lot of those heavy fatty foods as my GI system just can't take them even though I love them.  I will buy pork rinds every once in awhile :eat:

#17 2012-11-13 13:23:30

Lindy Lou

Just to clarify Paula those are not heavy or fatty items. They are a necessary requirement to keep the damp out and to line your stomach before heading to the pub for a skinful. :wine:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#18 2012-11-13 14:07:45

Flat Rock Farm

I should have made it clearer I didn't mean the ones listed above in particular being fatty, sorry.  Just was sort of going back to the rendering fat and using it for cooking.

But yes I can understand the lining your stomach before hitting the pub, we used to do but we usually drank a glass of homo milk before doing that, could explain why I got :sick: a few times :funny:

#19 2012-11-13 14:29:53

Lindy Lou

The :sick: wouldn't have happened if you had filled your face with Treacle Pudding before you went out :funny:

#20 2012-11-13 23:39:56

picis peeps

Or chips faggots and mushy peas from the chippie Lindy Lou.  We always popped into the chippy for our night lunch after an evening out.
I have to laugh because all my Canadian friends just raise their eyebrows whenever I mention faggots.  I try to explain they are a welsh meatball made out of liver, onions etc.  Sounds horrible but they are great.  In fact I get orders to make them now from ex pats who live near me.

#21 2012-11-14 00:16:21

Lindy Lou

ohhhh I love faggots with mash potatoes and gravy. yummm. Our local chippie didn't do them but Skelton's Bakery did. I do miss English food especially Cornish Cream Teas with real Clotted Cream. Clog your arteries just thinking about it
:funny:

#22 2012-11-14 02:50:04

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I like Skeltons sausage rolls...  you can scrape the lard off the roof of your mouth from them :chairhide:

#23 2012-11-14 03:28:48

Flat Rock Farm

Oh Claire!!  :sick:

#24 2012-11-14 06:34:26

Lindy Lou

:funny:

#25 2012-11-14 11:33:09

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:sick:  Thank you but I think I will pass on that one

Adverts

Board footer