Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-10-18 19:39:24

dahlisgrams

Cockerel critique

I have a 2 month old cockerel that is being grown out for possible breeding. He is one of the largest of the bunch, has yellow shanks and a very friendly personable disposition. His comb has a slight crease towards the rear but isn't folded, it just isn't perfectly straight. The other cockerels that were even close to the standard were smaller, slower developing and had green shanks which I'd hoped to avoid. All the rest were WAY too grey or lacked barring. I am looking for honest opinions on his potential and appreciate any thoughts you might have.:please: I can get more photos if it would help.

Thank you!

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/October182012015.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/October182012009.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/October182012001.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/October182012002.jpg

Last edited by dahlisgrams (2012-10-18 19:45:41)

2012-10-18 19:39:24

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-10-18 22:31:45

mikencarol

Re: Cockerel critique

Obviously I am way too new for you to listen to but I see deep yellow legs...a clear (no black) yellow beak, nice big eye and what I think is good coloring and nice size compared to the other chick in that picture:thumbs:  What the hell am I doing????? I don't even look at my own birds that close...from what I see...he is nice............Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#3 2012-10-18 23:09:55

dahlisgrams

mikencarol wrote:

Obviously I am way too new for you to listen to but I see deep yellow legs...a clear (no black) yellow beak, nice big eye and what I think is good coloring and nice size compared to the other chick in that picture:thumbs:  What the hell am I doing????? I don't even look at my own birds that close...from what I see...he is nice............Mike

LOL!  I don't know what I'm doing either, hence this post! I really appreciate your opinion. I like him and am just worried that I'm biased and am somehow missing something that would make him a poor breeding candidate. His name is Edward. :P   

The only other cockerel that was nearly as large and fast developing is almost completely grey and is a bit cranky, so two strikes. Sometimes they're easy to rule out and sometimes not. I hope Edward stays sweet! He goes out of his way to come say hello and yet seems to have no problems with the others, unlike mr. bossy grey man did.. lol

#4 2012-10-18 23:54:07

Susan
Administrator

Nice boy :) I'd consider his comb to have a couple side sprigs, or a touch of the pendscenca carnation comb. I am seeing that in too many of my birds this year. I wouldn't rule him out for it, just be mindful when choosing pairings. Unfortunately I believe it is a dominant trait and can be hard to eliminate. Like I say I am dealing with it here to and after 5 generations of breeding these guys, am wondering if I should have been more careful. I don't think it is rare though- many of us have birds with it to some degree. He is a nice size with a kind expression. His legs and beak are a nice yellow and so far, he does not have too much grey, though I can see him getting more on his chest as time goes by. All in all, a nice choice so far!

#5 2012-10-18 23:59:35

Maggiesdad

He's a nice looking boy for 8 weeks, but he's got a ways to go yet. If you can fit feeding them out into your budget, I'd run them out to 22 - 24 weeks before finalizing a breeder decision. I'm still a chicken noob too, though, - so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. =D

His comb issues are side sprigs coming on... if you do use him, pair him to nice clean combed hens and cull hard against side sprigs from those hatches.  You don't want to lock in the faults of the breed with less than optimal matings. I'm sure we'll be covering all this stuff when genetics fires back up this winter...

I CAN'T WAIT!!! :excited:

#6 2012-10-19 00:01:53

Maggiesdad

OH HAI!, Susan! You know what they say - Brilliant minds think alike! :lol:

#7 2012-10-19 00:18:14

Susan
Administrator

And the other part of that phrase... :chairhide:

#8 2012-10-19 00:20:15

Maggiesdad

Oh no -

That's the only part I remember!

#9 2012-10-19 00:20:39

mikencarol

That is EXACTALLY what I was thinking Glen.....:funny:Ha....ha....ha....:thumbsup:....Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#10 2012-10-19 00:23:49

Maggiesdad

And he's....

SAFE!!!

:funny:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/great_minds_think_alike

Read "usage notes"  :excited:

#11 2012-10-19 00:26:19

Maggiesdad

Another perfectly good thread hopelessly hijacked!  Sorry DG!  :sad:

#12 2012-10-19 00:36:22

Lisa

DG,

Agree with Susan and MD. I'd like to see him again in a few months... =D You'd need to do a hard cull in the offspring for the side sprigs....

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#13 2012-10-19 00:54:25

Flat Rock Farm

I think a good choice so far, he will change some as he matures :wine:

#14 2012-10-19 01:00:51

Micah and Kiah

I am no expert, it was only two months ago that Gubi had to tell me all my "pullet' photos were cockerals. :Crazy:
He is cute and has kind eyes.  I know that at this age Elevator showed no signs of sprigs and now he has one little one on one side.  They sure change as they grow.  You've got some folks giving great feedback and I know more will write soon.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#15 2012-10-19 01:50:54

dahlisgrams

:excited: Thanks for the critiques, everyone! You guys are hilarious.

I'm SO bummed about the comb.. not what I expected at all! I'll get some better photos of the comb tomorrow and make sure they're from different angles and up close and personal. I had so few to choose from. I had 8 cockerels. Only four were barred. One has green legs, is slightly smaller and has a straight comb so far. The second had white legs and he has been rehomed already so it's far too late for him. The third is huge and almost completely grey but has nice yellow shanks and a not very friendly personality. The fourth is this guy who I thought just had a slightly creased comb, but apparently it is much more than that! All of the others were either rw, or totally mottled and mostly peach/grey and just not breeding quality. :eat:

Is it worth it to grow him out with the comb fault if it's that dominant? I am breeding on a very small scale to start so I'm just wondering if I am better off just keeping the pullets and trying again for a better cockerel next year... I'll hold onto him for a while just to make sure though. 8 out of 12 were cockerels and not a single keeper! I'll get some photos of the pullets too. They weren't cooperating today. Everyone was gathered around chowing on the mash and were looking pretty messy.

Thanks very much for the tips. I am hoping to have something to contribute here soon! :happycrowd"

#16 2012-10-19 02:16:55

Micah and Kiah

Please keep him, grow him out and love him!  There are far to few of these sweethearts not to appreaciate him for all his great points.  :EO:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#17 2012-10-19 02:18:45

Susan
Administrator

Don't be hard on yourself DG. I hatched out over three hundred this year and still have issue to sort out. If you have a hen or two with a really good comb, keep him and see what you get. Just keep breeding those with the best comb you can: straight, single comb with 5-7 points. I am afraid this year, I am back peddling with the comb myself.

#18 2012-10-19 03:04:46

dahlisgrams

Micah and Kiah wrote:

Please keep him, grow him out and love him!  There are far to few of these sweethearts not to appreaciate him for all his great points.  :EO:

You're right! He is wonderful and none are perfect, myself included. He has such a great personality and many good qualities. I always over think thing. I'm so glad you guys are here to bring me back to reality. :happycrowd"

I will keep him and breed him next year to my two pullets who so far, have nice combs. Unless he turns nasty and then I'll have to rethink, but so far he's a real love.

#19 2012-10-19 03:17:10

dahlisgrams

Susan wrote:

Don't be hard on yourself DG. I hatched out over three hundred this year and still have issue to sort out. If you have a hen or two with a really good comb, keep him and see what you get. Just keep breeding those with the best comb you can: straight, single comb with 5-7 points. I am afraid this year, I am back peddling with the comb myself.

Three hundred! I wish I had the room to do that Susan. I guess we have to start with some flaws in the gene pool and they just all happen to be different ones. I really like him and will give him a chance. If the comb is his biggest problem, I can live with that.

More pics tomorrow. I'll post the pullet photos in another thread I think. Thanks guys!

#20 2012-10-19 12:59:28

Flat Rock Farm

Yes don't stress over the comb.  I have a beautiful young cockerel, his barring and feather colour is very good nice bright yellow legs and beak, straight toes good size but his comb flops over at the back.  (I will post a picture of him)  Am I going to use him for breeding??  Of course because he has so many "good" qualities going for him and breeding him with some nice hens I should get some decent offspring. 
Work with what you have and go from there :thumbs:

#21 2012-10-19 13:10:04

poplar girl
Administrator

I agree with what's been said but i will give my two cents anyway :)

He does have side sprigs and they will get bigger. He also has more grey than he should.

But he also hhas a nice solid yellow beak and nice yellow shanks. And he looks like a friendly curious little dude. And it's important he has good size.

If he's your best (and from your description I think he is) then keep him and see what you get next year.

I am finding that for the most part the cockerels I think look the best early on are the ones I like the best as they mature. I didn't change my mind on any of the 5 I kept this year and I probably picked them at around the same age as your fellow is now.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#22 2012-10-19 13:13:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think side sprigs are recessive, it makes selecting for them on the pennies nice and easy. Susan that is why yours showed up now.  I think he is lovely, I agree with Micah and Kiah, he looks like a kind sweetie.  I bet he will be a good hubby to your pullets. 

At the moment he may have a bit more grey than the standard, but honestly I started with some with way more than that and I shared those with everyone :whistle: I think he will be much darker (more intense stripes) coming up as his face is so pale, the brown will be darker in a few months, and the grey may go, or get deeper and blacker, I think is is going to get more handsome.

I like his shape, he neck blends with his body well.  I notice some of the EO roos can look a bit gawky like they had someone else's head and neck added to the body with no sleek curves.  Good choice.

#23 2012-10-20 01:31:05

dahlisgrams

I'd love to see photos of your cockerel, FR. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. Oh, my husband laughed at your quote! He's starting to take a real interest in the chooks! :jumping:

I agree he is the best one I have. One of my favorite things about him is that he is friendly and curious without being hyper like they sometimes can be. He gets better all the time. Totally agree about the grey too. It was one of the things I was concerned about but perfect doesn't exist at least not yet.. lol I kind of went on instinct and am grateful that you are all confirming that he's a good start. I just need to make sure nothing happens to him!

Claire, thanks for pointing out the head/neck/shoulder connection. It is one of the things I liked about his type compared to some I've had. He looks balanced to me. Maybe my eye is getting better at looking at chickens, finally! :whistle:

It rained buckets here today so no photos unfortunately. We worked on the pens in the rain but at least we were under the canopy of some tall trees so we didn't get too wet. I'll post more as soon as I can get them. Thanks again to all!

#24 2012-10-20 11:35:07

Flat Rock Farm

I will get some pictures up and posted by tomorrow of Kazoo, have just had a hectic past few days :Crazy:

#25 2012-10-20 14:49:16

Micah and Kiah

Could we start a strand for  photos of fols breeding roos?  And a seperate one for hens? That way we can all learn from seeing the strengths and needs of each guya and think who they match well with and whose eggs we may wish to buy to improve our stock.

Just an idea!

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

I will get some pictures up and posted by tomorrow of Kazoo, have just had a hectic past few days :Crazy:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer