Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-10-15 04:03:41

picis peeps

The Road Runner *warning graphic content*

Just had to tell you guys about our first butchering experience.  Having just bought another friendly EO roo we decided to butcher our 3 spare rhode island roos - Dr Pecker, Wylie and Road Runner.  Dr Pecker had been our first roo and Wylie and Road Runner were two of his sons.  They were not unfriendly although Dr Pecker had attacked and damaged our new EO roo, Peter Poker, through the fence surrounding his coop.  We wanted to concentrate on breeding our friendlier EOs and decided that we would get the butchering job done before winter set in and they were all cooped up together.  DH and DS grabbed Dr Pecker first and with a neighbour giving us instructions he was prepared within 30 minutes.  The same went for Wylie, who being younger we found much easier to process.  DH & DS then went to get Road Runner, the door to his pen was gently opened and just as DH stretched in to get him Road Runner shot past DH shoulder like a bullet from a gun.  I have never seen a chicken run half a mile so fast, I feel sure some land speed records were broken.  As I type this some 6 hours later Road Runner is still on the loose and takes to hiding whenever a human gets within 50 feet of him.  I guess we will have to wait until he is lulled into a false sense of security and spring the surprise on him then (if we can catch him).  He has certainly given us a lot of laughs today.

2012-10-15 04:03:41

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-10-15 04:27:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: The Road Runner *warning graphic content*

:funny: He certainly lived up to his name!   :excited:  I am sure he'll get hungry, just leave him alone and leave the door of his coop or pen open with some corn in there and he'll likely roost in there tomorrow night.  They know....  We try and house them up wind of the area and wash our hands off before going to get the next one.

Our first one, we though we had wrung her neck and started to pluck her and she "came to" so we had to use the axe toe make sure :nervous: Traumatic for everyone involved :whistle:

Well just think, you'll have 2 nice dinners anyway :eat:

#3 2012-10-15 16:37:19

Maggiesdad

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

Our first one, we though we had wrung her neck and started to pluck her and she "came to" so we had to use the axe toe make sure :nervous: Traumatic for everyone involved :whistle:

:shock: OMG, Claire - That's horrible!!! :funny:

Reminds me of a time 40 years ago when I was helping slaughter hogs...  We had 16 to do and the dispatch crew got a little rushed - they missed the shot AND the stick on a big sow, and we rolled her over in the scalding tub.  Wuh - talk about traumatic! Six guys left and didn't come back that day.
(Imagine a frowny face on this guy x 6)  :excited:

#4 2012-10-15 17:11:14

Lindy Lou

Oh you Guys That's Horrible  :shock: :sick: :sick:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#5 2012-10-15 23:31:50

picis peeps

We were rather leary about this particularly as it was our first time.  However, thanks to YouTube, we knew to knock them over the head so they were unconscious before we took the axe to them.  Still wasnt a pleasant experience ask one of them was one of the first chicks we hatched.  Maybe I will have to take them to the Hutterites for processing next time.  Not sure I would have coped with the pig problem very sensibly.  Lesson well learned eh!

#6 2012-10-16 00:55:47

Flat Rock Farm

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

:funny: He certainly lived up to his name!   :excited:  I am sure he'll get hungry, just leave him alone and leave the door of his coop or pen open with some corn in there and he'll likely roost in there tomorrow night.  They know....  We try and house them up wind of the area and wash our hands off before going to get the next one.

Well just think, you'll have 2 nice dinners anyway :eat:

Oh my, this is exactly why I don't process any of my birds, I don't think I would ever be able to eat a chicken again :sick: :sick:  MD that is even worse with the hog :shock: :sick:  :sick:

#7 2012-10-16 01:48:40

poplar girl
Administrator

Just adding a little note to the title of this to indicate some graphic content. I think we have already traumatized Lindy Lou but it might assist someone else or at least pre-warn them.

Picis peeps, your Road Runner story was awesome. He wouldn't have tasted as good after all that running anyway!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2012-10-16 02:20:26

Lindy Lou

Thank you PG I may never recover from this especially as I have Roosters of my own to process next month.  :sick: Thank goodness help is at hand in the form of Nathan & Claire. :thanks: Maybe after a few :wine: I will be able to handle the plucking :sick: or maybe not.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#9 2012-10-16 02:35:41

Susan
Administrator

Good call PG, it got me :sick:

#10 2012-10-16 04:09:00

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hey Lynn, don't worry, we totally know what we are doing now :whistle:  Sorry to hear about that poor pig :sick:  I can imagine the scene!! :nervous:

I think the road runner needs a week or so to re-tenderize! :thumbsup:

#11 2012-10-16 23:17:23

picis peeps

I think I will leave it a couple of weeks.  Road Runner finally came home again but every time I get within 20 feet of him he starts complaining at me.  Like you say PG, he may get a little more tender if he has a rest for a while (and lulled into a false sense of security).  Thanks for the editing, dont want to scare away our contributors.

#12 2013-01-24 15:17:32

picis peeps

and FINALLY, Road Runner has been caught and dealt with.  We tried going into the coop at night when they were all quiet but as soon as he saw me or DH he flew over our shoulder and legged it.  Never mind that we have 2 -3 feet of snow and temp has been down to -42 windchill, he knew he would be safer in amongst the trees.  Oh boy have we had some fun with this guy.   In the end we offered him to a neighbour if he could catch him.  We thought if someone strange went into the coop he might not know he needed to make a quick getaway.  It worked.  Now it seems that the ladies in the coop are missing him as they have only laid one egg in the last week.  Hopefully our EO roo, Seven Up, will make them happy again.

Adverts

Board footer