Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-08-03 02:33:05

poplar girl
Administrator

Show off those legs!

These babies are 3 weeks old. 9 are from my trio (originally from Black Horse Ranch), 4 straight from BHR. I was silly and did not keep track of who's who.

Well, first let me say the feather colors are quite encouraging. Lots of brown, not too much grey. But I think almost every one is a rooster!!! I hope I'm wrong.

There was a recent post on willow (green) legs. My understanding was that barred roosters will mask the gene for  dermal color so instead of blue or green legs will show white or yellow legs even if they carry the gene. Girls are supposed to show their true colors starting at about 6 weeks.

So why do my babies have green legs?? :huh: and I think almost all are roosters.

Green legged little roo?
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/f57fb362.png

White legs, girl or boy?
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/41071849.png

Yellow legs, rooster?
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/36a28594.png

Fuzzy butts!
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/7e1eb4f3.png

So am I bad at telling girls from boys? Will the green legs turn yellow on me? I think I may need some help with these genetics!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-08-03 02:33:05

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-08-03 02:51:24

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Show off those legs!

I love the fuzzy butts pic, isn't the white fluff cute? And I love all the colours!  I wonder, just wonder if the roo carriers of willow show it early on then it disappears?  Just a crazy theory :Crazy: as that first one does look like a  roo.   I think number two and three may be female.  You'll have a better idea when the wattles start to grow.  Can you leg band or mark the two willow leggers and see if they go to yellow when older and confirm the eventual sex?  Just an idea :whistle:

#3 2011-08-03 02:56:51

poplar girl
Administrator

I agree with your theory SLF and I am thinking I will need to band them just to be sure I can find them later. Three of 13 have willow, one white and the rest yellow I think. Seem to be very different than my first BHR hatch.

I am pretty excited about some of these babies. Let's just hope there are some girls!!!

Wishing I hade a HUGE winter coop at this stage. Not enough room at the (chick) inn!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-08-03 03:23:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think you have some girls, the very centre bird in the trough is browner and has more slender legs and orangy yellow legs.  Cna;t hurt to band them...will be interesting to see the results!

#5 2011-08-03 09:50:10

gubi
Website

The legs on my last batch of chicks really confused me too.  I think roosters can have willow legs too, I know for sure they can have blue legs.  The way I understand is that if you have a yellow leg on a hen she will breed yellow but with at rooster he could still carry the willow green even though he has yellow legs.
I used some coloured zip ties to ID some of my chicks.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2011-08-03 11:25:16

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh I have lots of spiral leg bands, had every plan to color code from chicks with them but then I discovered how fast chicks grow and how diligent you need to be to upsize those bands AND that you need your DHs help to do it and well since then I have been avoiding banding 'till I can use an adult sized band. Also I have this mental thing that a band means the bird is a keeper, can't tolerate the mental image of naming or banding birds I am going to eat :(

I am wondering if maybe willow legs on a rooster mean only one gene for barring? I think I will be posting a genetics question on a general forum for some help with this one!

Adverts

Board footer