Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-10-01 01:32:08

Chrish

new chick but not EO's

this is my second hatch using the incubator and still only got a little better than 50%
46 eggs 26 chicks. about the same as when I did my EO's but then only found one un-hatched chick the rest were just like a normal egg when I cracked them
this time out of the 20 un-hatched only 3 were like a regular egg the rest were full but dead chick's

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/crookhousefarm/IMG_0225.jpg

Some chicks from my EO batch but used my white'ish rooster

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/crookhousefarm/IMG_0211.jpg

and since I never did post pics of any other animals we got this spring ill squeeze in one of my pigs

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q637/crookhousefarm/IMG_0115.jpg

If any one as any ideas why I lost half my hatch please share

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

2012-10-01 01:32:08

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-10-01 01:38:37

Flat Rock Farm

Re: new chick but not EO's

Great pictures, thanks for posting them :thumbsup:

Well I can't answer the reason for low hatch other than humidity and temperature :huh:  I always put a lot of eggs in the incubator as I know I will be lucky to get half hatch either due to fertility, shrink wrapped chicks or dead chicks :huh:

#3 2012-10-01 01:44:16

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:congrats: Lovely, trust me you could be doing a lot worse than 50%, :whistle: Sounds like fertility was low (rooster not doing his job) when you have a lot that just look like yolk after 21 days. 
Did they hatch early or late or over a  long period of time? Any of those could be temp being too low or high, and the over a long time could be temp or humodity too low.  When they slimy or gummy?  It is possible to have humidity too high too.  What chicks are they?  They are big and fluffy! :hatch:

Love the piggies, what kind are they?  And the EOs are lovely.

#4 2012-10-01 02:24:38

poplar girl
Administrator

Thanks for posting pics!! I love those pigs! As for the incubation problems it's so hard to know what went wrong, 50% isn't great but I've had worse. Make sure you have a good thermometer and check the temperature, it will likely be either temperature or humidity as flat rock farm said.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-10-01 02:25:53

Maggiesdad

:huh: about the hatch either... I rarely did better that 50% this summer, yet my broody hens made 100% unless they stepped on one - same hatching eggs too!

What kind of incubator?

#6 2012-10-02 04:01:00

Chrish

Thank for the response’s
The incubator is a Brinsea Octagon 40 Advance. the hatch day was Saturday on Friday night I had one egg cracked but all chick made there way out Saturday through out the day and over night. No more chicks were born Sunday. I have used other thermometers to check but I am trusting the incubator one is good for now.
The pigs are Berkshire. This spring was our first litter. We let the mother do it her way as naturally as possible. She made her own nest from straw and delivered 12 piglets but slept on one the fist night after that she was a good mother.
The chicks are Barred Plymouth Rocks I got the eggs from a neighbor they were collected over a one week period and then went strait in the incubator.
I will have to keep a closer eye on humidity next time I think. Thanks for the help you are all awesome as usual

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

#7 2012-10-02 11:59:57

poplar girl
Administrator

The thermostates on the Brinseas can be off too Chrish, I have two different onces (both new), and Octagon Advance 20 and a cabinet type and one reads high and one reads low. I bought a Brinsea Spot Check Thermometer and set them both to compensate, they were out by a couple degrees from the factory which is quite a bit.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2012-10-03 00:05:45

Chrish

I really don't have a good trusted thermometer to check but I should try get one. I was just trusting the incubator one because the chick hatched right on time. I was off the understanding they would be early if it was too hot and late if it was too cold. I did crack open all the eggs to see what was in there just to get some idea off what was going on. I think even though I've never herd the term before shrink wrapped chicks would be what I found. They were all in some kind of skin but I have no idea if that normal or what would cause that to happen. Sorry for my lack off knowing whats what :duh:

#9 2012-10-03 00:53:22

Lindy Lou

I bought a Brinsea Spot Check Thermometer that Claire recommended. Not very expensive and works well. I ordered through C Botkin out of BC.  :Canada: Very good to order from, excellent service and quick delivery.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#10 2012-10-03 01:14:16

Chrish

Thanks I will try the Thermometer for next time

#11 2012-10-03 01:42:47

Chrish

I just did a little google on shrink wrapped chicks and I don't think mine were but saddle I think it was my fault. On lock down I cranked up the humidity by filling all 4 chambers keeping it as high as I could 80+ % I think I killed them because now I found out 70% would have been better. :banginghead:

#12 2012-10-03 01:53:59

poplar girl
Administrator

It could easily have been too high a humidity, 60-70% is plenty.. It happens, don't feel too bad!!

#13 2012-10-04 02:21:06

Chrish

Thanks PG I will do a little more reading before my next attempt

Adverts

Board footer