Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-09-21 13:21:59

poplar girl
Administrator

Feather Stubs

I am not certain how many of you are seeing feathers stubs on the shanks or between the toes of your EOs? You can see it on the young chicks the easiest. As the birds get older if you look a bit they are still clearly visible.

For whatever reason it seemed a common problem in my flock last year. Both my roosters and one of my hens used for breeding this spring had feather stubs. it was present in lines originating from both Skeffling Lavender Farm and Black Horse Ranch so I would expect it to show up in other's EOs at some point if it hasn't already.

This spring I monitored the chicks from the pair matings. I have concluded feather stubs in my birds must be a recessive trait. When I mated a rooster with feather stubs to a hen with feather stubs ALL the chicks have them although the degree does vary. Roosters matted with clean legged hens, no feather stubs (although they are probably carriers).

Just thought I would share that. I will be using different roosters for breeding this year, ones without feather stubs. Ian planning to keep a few pullets with feather stubs so will need to keep watching for it in the chicks!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-09-21 13:21:59

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-09-21 13:33:57

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Feather Stubs

I haven't seen any feather stubs in any of my EO's this year or last :huh:

Maybe when I send you some TPC eggs some of my EO eggs could hitch a ride as well. =D  The hens in my breeding pens for next spring are from another source :whistle:

#3 2012-09-21 13:45:48

poplar girl
Administrator

I didn't know there was another source Flat Rock Farm?? As far as I know everyone's EOs who is breeding them, both US and Canada, originated from one or both of these :huh:

Not all my birds have it, just a few. Although I think at a show it would be a disqulification to me at this point it is not something I am extremely worried about.

That said, I am certainly not opposed to more eggs in the mail!! it seems knowing the genetics and have good results from breeding are two different things, so far I am not impressed with the offspring of my pairs in general although I do have a few nice ones...mostly gorria (some with feather stubs though :P). I will need to get some pictures.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-09-21 14:26:05

Susan
Administrator

I am seeing them on one of the Roos I was considering. Like you say, not too big a deal, but something to watch. He is one of Apollo's babies.

#5 2012-09-21 17:22:00

gubi
Website

I haven't seen any this or last year in my EO's.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2012-09-21 20:22:24

NaturesPace
Website

I had one cockerel with them from Skyline. Everyone else was clean legged.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#7 2013-02-09 14:52:06

poplar girl
Administrator

I still don't know too much about the inheritance of this but this what I've learned.

Feather stubs on the feet are controlled by at least two different loci (sb-1 and sb-2) varying with breed. Feather stubs may be partially sex-limited as more males than females have them. These are recessive traits so your birds can carry the allele but unless a bird has two copies of it you will not see it expressed.

Despite knowing this two pullets with feather stubs (both gorria) and their mother (marraduna) are going into my breeding plan (pair matings) this year. For temperament, size and egg laying ability these pullets and their mom are awesome so I will worry about culling against feather stubs as a secondary thing.

Adverts

Board footer