Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-26 16:15:36

Flat Rock Farm

Dutch Boerenkool

DUTCH BOERENKOOL STAMPPOT--POTATOES AND KALE
Stamppot is pure comfort food in the Netherlands.  The meaning of Stamppot is “mash pot”. Cheap, hearty and filling, stamppot consists of potatoes and kale or other vegetables mashed together.

Potatoes and Kale with Gehaktballen—Dutch-style Meatballs and gravy.  BOERENKOOL STAMPPOT is a good way to get vitamin-rich kale in your diet.  Even if you don't care for kale, it is good in Stamppot.

BOERENKOOL STAMPPOT--POTATOES AND KALE
3 ½ c fresh kale (1 ½ to 2 c canned)
5 potatoes
1 stick margarine or butter
½ T salt
Freshly ground black and white pepper
Rookworst, Metworst or Gehaktballen—Dutch-style Meatballs
( I use homemade meatballs or cook and cut up your favorite sausage)

Ingredients.

Fresh Kale: Wash kale. Strip greens from stems, remove all hard parts and do not use yellow leaves. Place about 3-inches of water in the bottom of a pot. Add the kale, bring to hard boil then immediately reduce to simmer. Cook on low-medium heat until kale is tender. Stir occasionally. For the Potatoes: In another pot, boil or steam 5 medium potatoes until tender. When both vegetables are done, drain and mash potatoes together with the margarine, salt and pepper to taste. If using canned kale, add to potatoes while mashing. Use lots of freshly ground white and black pepper if you like spices. Serve with rookworst, metworst, a slightly smoky Dutch sausage, or Gehaktballen—Dutch-style Meatballs on the side. To warm rookworst or metworst, simmer in water or beer, or their combination
Once served on a plate top with choice of gravy :eat:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-08-26 16:19:45)

2012-08-26 16:15:36

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-26 16:25:23

Maggiesdad

Re: Dutch Boerenkool

Wow! Anything with a stick of butter in it has got to be good!  :excited:

Thanks Paula, We'll be trying this one for sure. :applause: :eat:

#3 2012-08-26 17:17:16

Flat Rock Farm

Well it's pretty basic but it is sure tasty.  Worth the try :eat:  I used to work with a lot of Dutch ladies when I worked in a greenhouse and one of them shared the recipe with me.  I had never had it before even though I have a good dose of Dutch in me.

#4 2012-08-27 12:31:18

riverbendfarm
Website

Oooh! Wife loves kale in all recipes. I'm going to try this one with my new potatoes.  She likes to make Kale Chips as well, just wash the kale and arrange on a baking sheet with a bit of olive oil and spice of choice (I think she uses Mrs. Dash). Toast them until crispy and eat them like a potato chip.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#5 2012-08-27 16:01:58

NaturesPace
Website

Thanks for passing this along. Now I need to get some kale and make it.

Love the idea of the chips too. I have heard they are great.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#6 2012-08-27 21:17:26

Flat Rock Farm

Well Kale is so uneventful on it's own yet it is so good for you.  That's why I like this recipe the sausage/meatballs with the potatoes and gravy just zip it up!!!

#7 2012-08-27 22:32:11

choctawgal
Website

Paula...

That sounds like awesome comfort food!!

There is a marvelous kale, sausage, and potato soup that the Olive Garden Italian restaurant makes that is out of this world... so this sounds even better!  (The gravy puts it over the top!!)

I have a feeling that I'll be making this one within the week!!!

:eat::thanks:

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#8 2012-08-27 22:36:38

choctawgal
Website

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Well Kale is so uneventful on it's own yet it is so good for you.  That's why I like this recipe the sausage/meatballs with the potatoes and gravy just zip it up!!!

I don't know about "uneventful."  Have you ever made Kale chips?

Take washed Kale and rip into bite-sized pieces...
Toss with a bit of olive oil and seasonings to taste...  (I use sea salt, basil, and a TINY bit of cayenne powder)
Place in preheated 300(F) oven with the door propped open a couple of inches...
Check and toss avery 15 min or so... until kale is dry and crispy...
Take out and EAT!!  YUMMY!! 

I didn't know I liked Kale until I tried Kale chips!!

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#9 2012-08-27 23:12:08

Flat Rock Farm

Ohh I am going to have to try those Jenn, thanks :excited:

#10 2012-08-28 22:01:12

pops coops
Website

Looks like I will be trying a new dish soon to, also have to get on the ball and get pickles done

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#11 2012-08-29 01:05:11

dahlisgrams

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Paula! It sounds really good. I love Kale but DH would have to be coerced under normal circumstances though he might actually try this.... hmmmm....  :eat:

#12 2012-08-29 01:08:17

Flat Rock Farm

The gravy hides everything =D

Adverts

Board footer