Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-19 19:14:02

Lindy Lou

Recipe for Spagetti Sauce

Does anyone have a really good recipe for Spagetti Sauce that doesn't start with "Peel 50 lbs of Tomatoes" I have quite a few tomatoes ripening and would love to make some sauce and bottled tomatoes for the winter but I need smaller batch quantities.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-08-19 19:14:02

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-19 21:21:16

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Recipe for Spagetti Sauce

Oh Lynn I have one, I'll have to find it.  I really liked it and so did the family and it's a little bit sweet and never came back on me (acid reflux).   Soon as I find it, I will post it.

#3 2012-08-19 22:40:42

Lindy Lou

:cheer: :cheer: Thank you  Paula :thumbs:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2012-08-19 22:58:59

Susan
Administrator

I just wash and core the tomatoes. Throw them whole in a pot. If you don't like skins, pull them out as they cook. Super easy. Let them simmer gently. Squish them a few times at the beginning to get the juice out so they don't burn. Add garlic, oregano, a little olive oil and a touch of sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Leave it on the stove for hours and go do something else. If you don't like the seeds, halfway when you feel like taking it off, press it through a strainer. Voila! Dinner!

#5 2012-08-19 23:00:57

Susan
Administrator

If you can it, you need to add 3 tsp lemon juice to keep the acid up. I plan on getting a pressure canner this year and am going to try that method instead

#6 2012-08-19 23:54:10

Flat Rock Farm

OK, found it.  It doesn't call for 50lb. of tomatoes but does call for 10 cups???

In a large saucepan, melt
1/2 cup shortening

Add and cook until onion is transparent
5 cups chopped green peppers
5 cups chopped sweet red peppers
10 cups chopped onions
6 cloves garlic, chopped

Wrap loosely in cheesecloth
10 whole chilies
4 bay leaves
8 whole cloves
4 whole allspice

Add spice bag with:
10 cups peeled fresh tomatoes
4 (5 1/2 oz) cans tomatoe paste
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
5 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons orgegano
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 3 hours, or until thickened and reduced to about half its volume.  remove spice bag.  Pack in sterilized jars and seal.

Man this is making my mouth water I have not made this in awhile, but am thinking I am going to have to make a batch :eat:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-08-19 23:54:32)

#7 2012-09-12 18:59:12

TicketyBoo

Oh good timing!  I was just thinking I should find a sauce recipe as the tomatoes are really producing well!
One thing I like to do if I don't have enough at one time is just chuck them in the freezer whole, I pop them in the stock pot when I have time to do something with them and as they defrost, the skins pop right off :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer