Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Eggs
  •  » First EO pullet egg 2012

#1 2012-08-19 01:11:17

gubi
Website

First EO pullet egg 2012

The pullet was hatched March 22nd and laid a nice big long egg.  Its as long as the regular EO eggs but not as fat yet.  This is the pullet that I suspect laid the egg.http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/386802_10151001118236227_2019716080_n.jpg

Last edited by gubi (2012-10-21 18:38:10)

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

2012-08-19 01:11:17

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-19 01:53:33

Micah and Kiah

Re: First EO pullet egg 2012

:congrats:  She is lovely!  She falls solidly into the standards doesn't she?  Beautful

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#3 2012-08-19 01:53:55

Susan
Administrator

She's gorgeous, gubi!

#4 2012-08-19 02:11:44

Maggiesdad

:love: She's beautiful, gubi! 

Wow! :thumbs:

#5 2012-08-19 11:24:43

Flat Rock Farm

She is a beautiful pullet gubi :love:  My pullets that have been laying about 3 weeks now are still laying only pullet size :(

#6 2012-08-19 12:59:23

gubi
Website

We ate the egg today for breakfast and it was indeed a double yolker.
I think I got lucky with picking pullets to keep I only kept 8 pullets back out of about 100 chicks I hatched and I'm really pleased how they are turning out.  I preselected them at about 4-5 weeks old.  I kept all my roosters back and haven't found one yet that is a sure keeper.  Some nice cockerels but nothing outstanding.  Last year, I had a few with sidesprings and I haven't had a single one this year which makes me believe that sidesprings aren't that big of a deal after all.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2012-08-19 13:15:58

poplar girl
Administrator

Yep, she is very nice indeed :thumbs: Very nice size and deep body, comb not too big, nice yellow shanks and not too much beak pigment, clear barring. Is her feather quality a bit too red/brown gubi or is that just me? I also see a few speckles of black.

I am having trouble deciding who to keep. Everyone has flaws, both pullets and cockerels. Flaws in size, feather color, barring not clear, shank color, side sprigs, feather stubs, too much beak pigment, crooked toes. I guess that means I get to hatch more and continue to work on improving them next year and we will have lots of chicken to eat this winter :eat:

It's very neat that you are celebrating your first pullet egg of the season. That means you are still very much enjoying your chickens! Your girl is about 20 weeks old, good to note how long it takes for the girls to start laying. Are the cockerels hatched the same time ready for butchering in your opinion?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2012-08-19 13:41:43

gubi
Website

PG I like her feather colour except for the black flecks.  Almost all of mine have a bit of black flecks except my two blondie hens.  I sold all my crooked toed girls to a neighbor for his laying flock.  They will do fine there.  I find it very disheartening that my best youngsters have crooked toes and hope to eliminate them or at least reduce them by eliminating them from the breeding pool and possibly getting a better incubator.   
I only kept pullets that displayed marraduna colouring and yellow legs to select from.  This way I have more choices for roosters to keep.  At this point I'm not selecting for beak pigmentation, I know I have some with it but I'm not willing to keep a small cockerel.  He HAS to be fast growing, the only way I can justify hatching so many of them to choose from is if the roosters make a good meal.  I have a cockerel that is almost perfect except he's very immature.  He's 17 weeks old has perfect red barring, yellow legs nice type but his comb isn't even red yet and he just looks immature and doesn't have much weight to him.  That's not something I can use in my genepool. 
My cockerels are heavy enough to butcher I just haven't got around to taking them to a processor yet. The 20 week olds are massive and will make a big meal.  All but my youngest batch which is almost 2 month younger are ready to take in. 
I have never seen feather stubs in mine but have a range in shank colour.  At first I thought I had blue and willow too but they seemed to have turned to yellow and white now too but not 100% sure.

#9 2012-08-29 18:34:31

NaturesPace
Website

Congrats! She is really pretty.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

• Index
  •  » Eggs
  •  » First EO pullet egg 2012

Adverts

Board footer