Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-16 12:33:27

Maggiesdad

Crooked Toe Polling Thread for 2012

Just wanted to get a feel for what other folks were seeing this year in the crooked toe category...

Questions, in no particular order:

1) Have you had more crooked toe hatchlings this year than in previous years?

2) Of those who have hatched EO eggs under broodies (EO or other) - have you had any chicks with leg/toe problems that were hatched naturally?

3) If you did hatch crooked toe chicks, or chicks with leg problems, did they hatch unassisted?

4) ?

5) ?

(I'm open to adding more questions about crooked toe/splayed leg problems as we think of them.)

My responses:

1) No, I have had only one crooked toe chick (Lucky), she was a product of a very difficult incubator hatch.

2) I have had no toe or leg problems with chicks hatched under broodies this summer. My 6th broody clutch is at about 14days. Of eggs that
    failed to hatch under broodies, they either candled clear or got stepped on and broken. 

3) Lucky was assisted, she was the last chick out of her hatch, and she had an extended zip.

2012-08-16 12:33:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-16 12:53:30

gubi
Website

Re: Crooked Toe Polling Thread for 2012

1) yes, I had way more with the still air hova then the forced air hova but had some out of both incubators.  The chicks with crooked toes are usually the fastest growing.  I had it in abound 20% of the chicks hatched.  None of my breeders have crooked toes but some of their brothers and sisters did last year and the year before
2) I only hatched 2 EO's under the broodies and they both had good feet.
3) all unassisted

Last edited by gubi (2012-08-16 18:50:23)

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-08-16 13:24:37

Flat Rock Farm

1).  I have had no crooked toes this year, last year LOTS.  I did not breed any crooked toe birds, they all got re-homed.
2).  I only incubator hatched my EO's this year, I had three splayed legs from first hatch, source of eggs was not my own.
3).  All were not assisted.

(Poor Lucky just got too much "bator breath") LOL

#4 2012-08-16 13:46:38

NaturesPace
Website

My crooked toe pullet was my very first hatch and very first chick. She had a difficult hatch, but was unassisted. Temp was low for most of the hatch due to inexperience and inaccuarte thermometer.
Only 2 chicks hatched out of 16 eggs. 8 were EO eggs.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2012-08-16 14:54:46

Micah and Kiah

This is our first year and over half were incubated by SLF in her Sportsman. So my data is quite limited:

1) Have you had more crooked toe hatchlings this year than in previous years?  Two with crooked toes, one free boy from SLF who is very grey and just here for the summer and one I hatched in my Brinsea.

3) If you did hatch crooked toe chicks, or chicks with leg problems, did they hatch unassisted? The crooked toed chicks hatched unassisted

4) Hubby assisted one chick whose butt was stuff in the shell.  Sadly she looks like she is missing some tail bone or something, kinda an Aracuna look... lovely gingery feathers coming in and she is quite a pet  She eats, drinks and poos well so we just watch her carefully and hope she will be ok  :huh:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#6 2012-08-17 13:05:15

poplar girl
Administrator

Yes, I think so. About 10% of the EOs I hatched this year have crooked toes.

2) Of those who have hatched EO eggs under broodies (EO or other) - have you had any chicks with leg/toe problems that were hatched naturally?
Only two of about 60 EOs were broody hatched. The 2 broody hatched do not have crooked toes but I think the sample is too small to mean anything in my case.

3) If you did hatch crooked toe chicks, or chicks with leg problems, did they hatch unassisted?
I am uncertain but I believe so.

I did hatch chicks of other breeds along with my EOs:
EOs about 6 of about 60 crooked toes.
Easter eggers 2 of 4 crooked toes.
Spitz 0 of 3.
D'uccles 0 of about 25. But I did have to cull about 5 at hatch for splayed leg.

I am also noting the crooked toes can develope at different times. Anywhere from about 3 weeks old to 8 weeks old I would estimate. The severity also varies, I have a couple with severely curled toes but most have one toe that is slightly crooked.

I suspect there is a genetic x environmental interaction with regard to crooked toes which means that it is not just genetics or just environment (hatching) it is influenced by both.

There is one beautiful big pullet that developed a crooked toe quite late that I am considering keeping and breeding. If I do use her for breeding I will pair mate her and monitor incidence of crooked toes in the chicks. The rest of the EOs with crooked toes I plan to eat :eat:

Nice idea MD, i have observations on side sprigs and feather stubs along the same lines. The difference with those two traits is we know they are 100% genetic.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-08-17 13:24:33

Maggiesdad

poplar girl wrote:

Do you have little ones pulling shrink wrapped chicks out, too?!

I suspect there is a genetic x environmental interaction with regard to crooked toes which means that it is not just genetics or just environment (hatching) it is influenced by both.

I have a hunch that it's more environment x nutrition ( on the cock/hen side) than genes...   we should have a much better handle on the situation this time next year. - Glen

#8 2012-08-17 17:07:47

Little Boy Blue
Website

I have only hatched 2 EO's this year.  Both unassisted.  Both in an incubator. 

I saw some photos of toe problems as I browsed through some forum photos but didn't realize it was a problem with the breed. 

The question look like they aimed at gathering data to support different theories.  Those who have been here longer than me please clue me in as to what the theories are on the toe problems.

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#9 2012-08-17 18:00:20

Flat Rock Farm

Well LBB crooked toes with the EO is a genetic fault in the breed.  So what Glen is I think trying to figure out is if the genetic fault is also due hatch. ie the difference in hatch between a broody and incubator and see if it was increased or decreased depending on what method.  Hope this helps answer your question and if someone else has something to add......

#10 2012-08-17 19:58:04

ipf

From what I've seen personally, and read,  crooked toes are largely an environmental issue, caused by incubator temperature. I've hatched hundreds of birds under broodies, and have not had a single one with crooked toes. I'm not saying there is no genetic component, but I've never heard of there being a large one.

#11 2012-08-17 22:58:27

Maggiesdad

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Well LBB crooked toes with the EO is a genetic fault in the breed.  So what Glen is I think trying to figure out is if the genetic fault is also due hatch. ie the difference in hatch between a broody and incubator and see if it was increased or decreased depending on what method.  Hope this helps answer your question and if someone else has something to add......

This^

...And Miss Lucky tells me she wants to get lucky and hatch me some straight toed chicks!  :applause:

And with what ipf posted above, I think I'd be willing to give it a try next spring.

#12 2012-08-21 01:48:13

Flat Rock Farm

Go Lucky, Go Lucky :cheer:

#13 2012-08-21 02:22:02

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

poplar girl wrote:

Do you have little ones pulling shrink wrapped chicks out, too?!

I have a hunch that it's more environment x nutrition ( on the cock/hen side) than genes...   we should have a much better handle on the situation this time next year. - Glen

No children to pin the saving of shrink wrapped chicks on MD, only myself to hold accountable :oops:

Ipf and Md, sounds like I should give Orange a chance in the breeding pen. You should see this girl, she's HUGE with lots of other good qualities and just one itty bittly crook to her toe!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#14 2012-08-21 12:14:42

choctawgal
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Just wanted to get a feel for what other folks were seeing this year in the crooked toe category...

Questions, in no particular order:

Hi, MD!

Of the eight EOs hatched, all in an incubator--only one was assisted, and that was an extended hatch who died as soon as it was liberated... too exhausted, I think.  There were no toe or leg problems, however one had a case of wry neck that corrected after vitamin E administration in the water.

No crooked toes at 5 weeks old... and ALL have bright yellow legs!!
  There were three recessive whites; one pullet, one obvious cockerel, and one sexually ambiguous until yesterday's necropsy. (male-under developed internally)

I hope that helps!

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#15 2012-08-21 12:48:02

poplar girl
Administrator

choctawgal wrote:

There were no toe or leg problems, however one had a case of wry neck that corrected after vitamin E administration in the water.

Jenn

I find about 5% of my EO develop what I would call wry neck. Never seen it in chicks of any other breed. Around 4-8 weeks it will become obvious and can develop quickly (within 24 hours from nothing to quite bad). I also feed them vitamins in the water to correct it which generally works really well. I have started feeding vitamins to the EO in advance of any symptoms as a preventative since it happens so often.

#16 2012-08-21 18:49:17

NaturesPace
Website

i would love for James from Skyline to give us his numbers. that might tell us a lot.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

Adverts

Board footer