Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2012-08-16 22:55:57

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Who make the cut for breeding stock? photo heavy post

Lindy Lou wrote:

Oh Paula :oops::shock::shock: Honestly folks I'm sure she didn't mean that!!!

Wasn't me, it was my evil twin :whistle:

2012-08-16 22:55:57

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2012-08-17 03:28:35

Micah and Kiah

I thought I had four whitish pullets that might darken?

Band # 76 a white pullet I raised from an egg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1060778.jpg

The others:
Band 86
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/b32ea6db.jpg
Band 95
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/a4ea0dc6.jpg

The third white is in the sick pen so photo later...

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#28 2012-08-17 09:47:21

gubi
Website

3 more boys, the color on the chest is the give away.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#29 2012-08-17 13:02:39

Flat Rock Farm

gubi wrote:

3 more boys, the color on the chest is the give away.

I agree with gubi, sorry Kathy.  Looks like you will be having a few for the freezer :chook:

#30 2012-08-18 04:06:32

Micah and Kiah

Oh please tell me that you are joking, some kind of newbie rite of passage? Funny,:funny: joke over... I really have over 15 EOS and only 4 girls (one of whom I gave away):oops:  My hubby eats meat and I knew I had some boys that were going into the freezer but 8 or 9 in the freezer..I am a vegetarian so hope you guys will all come over for a really big bbq  :eat:

:banginghead:

I got a photo of my other white pullet.  She has been quite ill so is in isolation.  Clear fluid from her vent that dries to white lime-like residue.  Can't figure it out.  She is eating and drinking well.  She continues to grow well and had no other abnormalities.  Is this a pullet?  How do you know other than colour on the chest?  What do you mean Gubi by colour on the chest?

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/06cbf283.jpg

Last edited by Micah and Kiah (2012-08-18 04:35:44)

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#31 2012-08-18 09:54:43

gubi
Website

This is another boy.  The EO pullets are mostly brown where the boys you can see the barring easier.  On your white "pullets" you can see some slight red barring on the chests.  The large red combs are a giveaway too.  The pullets don't start to grow combs until they are much older.  The reason you can see the barring so much better on the boys is because it is a sex linked gene where and the boys have two barring genes and the girls only one.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#32 2012-08-19 01:50:44

Micah and Kiah

Thanks everyone!  Hopefully I will figure out how to tell pullets from cockerels eventually.  :huh:
I will be praying that the 4 week olds are pullets!  :please:  I think was surprises me the most is just how friendly, sweet and gentle my EOs are with each other.  Most of my other chicks have cockerel dominance issues but the EOs live with my TPC and are just amazingly gentle. I enjoy starting the day by opening their chicken tractor, dragging a lawn chair into their field and sharing some yogurt and cuddles with them.

When may I post photos of the 4 week olds?  How old do they need to be before we can tell if they may be right for breeding stock or layer stock?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#33 2012-08-19 02:34:31

Maggiesdad

We'll look at photos at any age!  :love:

I get impatient too, stressing about which birds to use to breed. I've read behind some old time poultrymen that you shouldn't breed from pullets, that you should choose and breed them in their second year.

The size, structure and egglaying ability is most important, and you won't see the final results until the bird has matured. Feathers, skin and leg color are some of the the last traits you breed for. That's why you can run to 5 or more years of breeding getting to a certain result.

I went against that tried and true knowledge, and hatched pullet eggs this summer. I wanted more experience hatching, and I wanted broody hen comparison hatches, which my BA girls so willingly obliged me with. In retrospect, though, I should have only been breeding two out of the six girls I put in the pen. But it's been a great learning experience, because I got to see the growth rate differences, and the egglaying capacity differences. And we'll be eating a lot of chicken this fall. :eat: If I can keep the predators away from them this winter, I'll know for sure who my serious breeders are for next spring.

One thing I've found the helps me is what I call reverse selection - instead of worring about who's the best out of ten birds, I pick the one I know is the worst, and they get to go to the kitchen. After three or four times like that, the pool that's left is smaller and a little bit older and some favorable differences that I like will have shown up, and that makes the top end selection easier. Don't forget that attitude and friendliness are a large part of this breed, and their final temperaments won't show up 'til after the hens reach POL and the cockerels learn how to tread the hens.

Adverts

Board footer