Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-13 00:21:21

riverbendfarm
Website

Egads! The power has gone out!

Gah! I just set a new hatch yesterday and the power died tonight. Power company says several hours. So here I am with my hovabator and unborn children...camping out in the car!

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/riverbendfarmss/2347bbe8.jpg

Last edited by riverbendfarm (2012-08-13 00:22:30)

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

2012-08-13 00:21:21

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-13 00:28:20

dahlisgrams

Re: Egads! The power has gone out!

Oh no!!! I hope they get the power back on soon. Great pic. That's some serious dedication! I'd probably do the same exact thing. Best of luck!

#3 2012-08-13 00:33:21

riverbendfarm
Website

Ok so since I'm trapped here with my iPhone I may as well upload some pics!

EO pullet egg and black penny egg:
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/riverbendfarmss/ade2d2e7.jpg

Talia loves EO's:
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/riverbendfarmss/ff991573.jpg

My foundation Roo Ham having blueberry pancakes:
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/riverbendfarmss/5dacc415.jpg

Great legs but a bunch of side sprigs. I'd breed him based on temperament alone. He's our boy!
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/riverbendfarmss/812347db.jpg

Our pet toad Mr. T visits the back porch door every night.
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/riverbendfarmss/ffdfa014.jpg

Jose investigates her nest box.
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj587/riverbendfarmss/0c15bbae.jpg

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#4 2012-08-13 00:54:05

poplar girl
Administrator

You are one dedicated chicken parent, those hatching eggs are in excellent hands and I hope the power outage is short lived.

The photo of Ham with his blueberry pancakes is beyond words! I love it :love: that's one lucky rooster!!

Love the toad too :)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-08-13 01:06:43

riverbendfarm
Website

You know...I'd pay a lot for a broody hen right now. Those Silkies I'm feeding are SLACKERS!:duh:

~Heraclitus

#6 2012-08-13 01:20:25

Maggiesdad

That's a funny set of pics!

Hang in there - hope your power's back on soon! :cheer:

#7 2012-08-13 01:21:17

Flat Rock Farm

OK maybe I have a thick skull, but why are you in the car with the hovobator :huh:  Do you have something in the car to supply power to the incubator??? 

Love the photos :funny:

#8 2012-08-13 01:24:45

riverbendfarm
Website

Plug converter in the cigarette lighter. I'm so buying a generator! :banginghead:

Also AC helps, it's 28 degrees and the humidity is like murder and not a puff of wind. If the car battery dies in jumping in the river.

Last edited by riverbendfarm (2012-08-13 01:27:16)

~Heraclitus

#9 2012-08-13 01:42:07

Flat Rock Farm

Ahh now it makes sense :thumbs: =D

#10 2012-08-13 17:23:27

Little Boy Blue
Website

I wouldn't worry about the power going out for a few hours or even half a day.  The broody hens get of the nest to eat and drink etc. for as much as an hour a day.  I have heard some people actually are now trying to set their incubators to cool for 30 minutes 2-3 times a day to better mimic nature.

I was doing a test hatch of 9 Marans eggs in February and the heating element of the incubator gave completely out about 10 days into the hatch.  We discovered the eggs in the morning at 70 deg F. so they had been cooling for at least 4-5 hours.  I didn't have a backup incubator and so we lined an electric warming tray used to keep finger food warm in a buffet line and put all the eggs in there.  Our warming tray didn't work very well.  The temperatures regulary fluxuated between 95-105 deg.  They even were up to 110 deg F. and out of fear of cooking the embryos we woke up a couple of mornings with the knob turned too low and the temps back to 70 deg F.  By some miracle we got 2 out of the 9 eggs to hatch.  When we open up the eggs all of them had developed to 15-19 days.  So...the cold night on day 10 didn't kill any of them (I am sure that it was the 106+ temps the week follwing).

This convinced me that the most importaint factor in a good hatch are the health of the parents and the handling and storing of the eggs prior to hatch. :)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#11 2012-08-14 02:30:23

riverbendfarm
Website

Hmm...well that is certainly interesting. I always store my eggs in my basement in a carton that I flip sideways twice a day. I live in a century farmhouse up here in Nova Scotia that has a split granite foundation so the "basement" is really a cellar that usually stays at around 60 degrees Celsius. This summer we are having the hottest, driest summer in 10 years and the temps down there are at about 65 degrees now that its August. I was wondering if this might affect the hatch, but I suppose I shall have to wait and see. My last hatch of 8 black penny eggs didn't even pip, while the three EE eggs all hatched...weird. She was entering moult tho so they may not have been fertile. I didn't crack them to check (too chicken lol). This time I should do that and see if any have developed. I guess that would give me much more information about how the hatch progressed.

I just placed an order for a fan kit for my Hovabator today from Incubator Warehouse. Even with S&H its still cheaper than buying it at the local Co-Op (so bizarre). I'll really be interested to see if it improves my hatches as I will be continuing to set them through the fall. I want to get as many black penny pullets as possible from my one pair before she turns 2. You never know what may happen in the winter. That said, next spring I'll be diligently searching for an unrelated cock to put these new girls with. The trouble is, besides Northmountaingal, I think I'm the only person in NS breeding these beauties. Also, NMG's pennies are sibs to mine as they came from my pair before I acquired them. I shall need to sleuth out some new blood ASAP!...ditto for my EO's as well...might need to buy some hatching eggies...

~Heraclitus

#12 2012-08-14 03:58:02

Micah and Kiah

Love the photos!  Wonder if Dennis would let me bring Elevator in have pancake treat!  Everything ok with the power now?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#13 2012-08-14 04:24:16

riverbendfarm
Website

Yup power was restored at around 1 AM, I went to bed and the eggs are back in the cellar where they belong!

~Heraclitus

#14 2012-12-10 17:49:28

texastinsel

I am wondering how the eggs did?  Were you able to have any hatch?:hatch:

Adverts

Board footer