Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-12 15:54:52

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Here are some photos of my EO chicks at 1.5 weeks of age. They are not the best photos but my camera has been acting up and the best ones came out blurry! :duh: Anyway, here they are. I think two are cockerals including the all white one, but I'm not positive. IT would be wonderful to have 4 pullets! I think I have a few favorites but they're all pretty sweet.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG9eve2012033.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG9eve2012032.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG9eve2012031.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG9eve2012029.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG9eve2012028.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG9eve2012027.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG9eve2012026.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG9eve2012024.jpg

I am thinking about getting a few more but don't have an incubator and don't need too many! lol

Offline

 

2012-08-12 15:54:52

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-12 16:07:15

Flat Rock Farm
Member
From: Branchton, Ontario Canada
Registered: 2011-07-03
Posts: 3359

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Oh Terra they are supper cute :love:
Never seen that colour pattern on picture # 4 :funny:
Well hard to tell what sex they are right now but I think the last picture may be a fella or one of the "lady grey's.  Thanks for sharing your pictures. :thumbsup:
If you want more EO's maybe see if  Maggiesdad can hook you up (I heard he has a few) :whistle:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-08-12 16:07:49)

Offline

 

#3 2012-08-12 16:18:58

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Oh Terra they are supper cute :love:
Never seen that colour pattern on picture # 4 :funny:
Well hard to tell what sex they are right now but I think the last picture may be a fella or one of the "lady grey's.  Thanks for sharing your pictures. :thumbsup:
If you want more EO's maybe see if  Maggiesdad can hook you up (I heard he has a few) :whistle:

Thanks! Love that poop racing stripe!! :funny: It looks like someone used him for a little tp! I didn't even see it until I had him up there to photograph. He's all cleaned up now though. Poor thing.

I will drop him a note!:lol:

Offline

 

#4 2012-08-13 00:18:18

Susan
Administrator
From: Saskatoon, Sask, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-28
Posts: 2540

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Hee Hee! Hate to tell you this, but it may not be your camera. I have way more blurry pics than good ones thanks to the fact that these monkeys are either running to you or putting their faces right up to the camera lol :pics:

Offline

 

#5 2012-08-13 00:24:46

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Susan wrote:

Hee Hee! Hate to tell you this, but it may not be your camera. I have way more blurry pics than good ones thanks to the fact that these monkeys are either running to you or putting their faces right up to the camera lol :pics:

LOL! Come to think of it, they were moving non-stop!! :funny:

I gave everyone some mealworms out in the coop today and they were hilarious. They'd grab one and then run off with it. It was quite the scene. These really are some funny chicks. I love this breed!:love:

Offline

 

#6 2012-08-13 01:23:37

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

I've been reading as much as possible but am still wondering how to sex them. Should I be looking at comb development? Barring on the wings for boys? Attitude? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to this breed and my guess at two boys was based on combs and disposition. They don't like to be held by the belly and each time I pick them up like that, they stand up on my hand instead. Is this typical? It isn't that they don't want to be held so much as being particular as to how.

Offline

 

#7 2012-08-13 11:30:17

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

There are ways to guess with some accuracy (maybe slightly better than 50:50) early on at the sex but the best thing to do is wait for the comb to start to develope at 3 or 4 weeks. Feather color can also be an indicator but I like to use it in combination with the comb. This breed cannot be feather sexed using the length of the wing feathers.

Already I am living vicariously through photos of other people's chicks as my youngest are a few months old already so thanks for posting pics!


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#8 2012-08-13 12:46:01

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

poplar girl wrote:

There are ways to guess with some accuracy (maybe slightly better than 50:50) early on at the sex but the best thing to do is wait for the comb to start to develope at 3 or 4 weeks. Feather color can also be an indicator but I like to use it in combination with the comb. This breed cannot be feather sexed using the length of the wing feathers.

Already I am living vicariously through photos of other people's chicks as my youngest are a few months old already so thanks for posting pics!

That's kind of what I figured based on what I've read here and on byc. They're two weeks old now so another week or two and I should have a better idea. Thank you for confirming this. They are quite a bit larger than some of the other chicks the same age. Amazing how fast they're growing.

The little white one especially is always right in the middle of everything. I have them out in the coop with another older group of 5 week olds. The little guys sleep in the brooder at night with a heat lamp on and during the day I take them out and they run around the coop floor with a dog gate up at the door for light, air etc. There is a large screen divider up between the two groups when they cannot be supervised. Anyway, it takes me an hour to remove them all because once there are a few loose, some of them ride my shoes and I'm afraid to step on them! The white EO is the worst offender, though he definitely has accomplices! They're so much fun. :P

Offline

 

#9 2012-08-21 12:27:25

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

I checked their combs this morning and it looks like I have 4 cockerals and 2 pullets. I had it backwards! :duh: The two girls seem rather normal colored brown with one having a little more black on the wingtips and tail than the other, and the boys are all over the place in terms of color. Recessive white, grey, speckled. I may not have any that are breed worthy at all so it looks like I might be back to square one. Guess I'll need a few more! :whistle:

Last edited by dahlisgrams (2012-08-29 22:58:23)

Offline

 

#10 2012-08-29 23:04:28

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Just to continue documenting them, here are the same chicks at 4 1/2 weeks. It is incredibly hard to photograph them!! I still say two pullets and 4 cockerals. Pullets first.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012034.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012030.jpg

Now the cockerals.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012042.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012078.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012079.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012068.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012066.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012032.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012031.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012023.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012008.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w502/dahlisgrams/AUG292012007.jpg

I can't believe how much they've grown! They are larger than the chicks in the same pen that are a week older. The recessive white boy is pretty large but the last boy is the largest.

Please forgive the horrible cardboard that I put up to provide them with some shade. It was the first time I've let them stay out all day and the pen gets almost no shade midday.

Last edited by dahlisgrams (2012-08-29 23:05:53)

Offline

 

#11 2012-08-30 00:42:43

Flat Rock Farm
Member
From: Branchton, Ontario Canada
Registered: 2011-07-03
Posts: 3359

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Wow they have really grown :shock:  I think maybe chick in picture 8 & 9 may be a millie type pullet not a cockerel :huh:  Comb is small as well.

They are looking great :thumbsup:

Offline

 

#12 2012-08-30 00:44:58

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Yep you got it, would agree 2 pullets 4 cockerels. I love the scruffy age your chicks are at!


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#13 2012-08-30 00:53:14

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Wow they have really grown :shock:  I think maybe chick in picture 8 & 9 may be a millie type pullet not a cockerel :huh:  Comb is small as well.

They are looking great :thumbsup:

Really?? Is it possible there is an even split!?? :please:

Thanks! I adore these babies. They fly up to sit on us every chance they get. Sometimes I have 4 on me at a time! Even get on my husband though they don't know him nearly as well. They are incredibly sweet.

Offline

 

#14 2012-08-30 00:58:50

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

poplar girl wrote:

Yep you got it, would agree 2 pullets 4 cockerels. I love the scruffy age your chicks are at!

So one vote for 3/3 and one for 2/4. Maybe I can get a better photo of the last one's comb we can definitively rule out one sex. I'd seriously love it if there were 3 pullets. :please:

Any thoughts on their quality for breeding? I won't take any of it personally at all. I would love to hear any and all opinions on them. I really want to get off on the right start!

The darkest pullet has yellow legs and the lighter one has green though she is the friendliest. I know that structure/type is the most important but should I rule her out because of the leg color right off the bat?

I've done so much reading that my head is still spinning! I can't wait to get a little experience under my belt. I adore this community!!! :cheer:

Offline

 

#15 2012-08-30 01:57:37

Flat Rock Farm
Member
From: Branchton, Ontario Canada
Registered: 2011-07-03
Posts: 3359

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Well don't take my word for it, just a guess.  I have been know to mistake the pullets for roos, :whistle:  Right LL :funny:

Offline

 

#16 2012-08-30 02:51:55

Maggiesdad
Moderator
From: Louisa County, Virginia
Registered: 2011-10-05
Posts: 1980

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

dahlisgrams wrote:

... They fly up to sit on us every chance they get. Sometimes I have 4 on me at a time! Even get on my husband though they don't know him nearly as well. They are incredibly sweet.

Just wait til you have a 6lb hen fly up on you - you might be singing a different tune!  :lol:

The other day I stopped by the pen to talk to my girls... I had just come from the garden and had a big handful of cherry tomatoes. My biggest hen sized up the situation and decide to help herself - she did her helicopter routine and walked straight up the fence coming after me! I caught her and gave her two maters... she squirted seeds all over my shirt. I love these birds!  :love:

Offline

 

#17 2012-08-30 14:00:30

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Well don't take my word for it, just a guess.  I have been know to mistake the pullets for roos, :whistle:  Right LL :funny:

Me too! I tend to think they're ALL roos until proven otherwise. :funny:

They grew again last night.  It is startling how much they are changing on a daily basis! I looked at the comb in question again this morning and I am pretty sure he's a he. The comb isn't large but it does stand up taller than the pullets and it isn't as pink as some of the other cockerals but there is something masculine about him, so until he lays an egg, I'm going with male. At this point he is not the friendliest one in the bunch but we'll see how he turns out. If he is a punk, he'll make a nice meal. :eat:

Green leg girl is going in the laying flock unless the rest of her develops into such an extraordinary specimen over the next few months that I can't resist, and then she might be worth a test breeding if I have a good rooster. From everything I've read though, those legs are going to be too hard to breed out. The other one is still a possible keeper. I'll have to keep an eye on her. I have some numbered bandettes and as they go on the possible list, I'll band each one and start taking notes. At that point I will go back and put the number with each photo of the chick for future reference. I spent some time categorizing the photos on my computer too. Divided them by breed into folders and left any of the mixed group in a miscellaneous folder. They are all dated so it shouldn't be too difficult. Why are the obviously wonky boys the friendliest?

Offline

 

#18 2012-08-30 14:12:10

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Maggiesdad wrote:

dahlisgrams wrote:

... They fly up to sit on us every chance they get. Sometimes I have 4 on me at a time! Even get on my husband though they don't know him nearly as well. They are incredibly sweet.

Just wait til you have a 6lb hen fly up on you - you might be singing a different tune!  :lol:

The other day I stopped by the pen to talk to my girls... I had just come from the garden and had a big handful of cherry tomatoes. My biggest hen sized up the situation and decide to help herself - she did her helicopter routine and walked straight up the fence coming after me! I caught her and gave her two maters... she squirted seeds all over my shirt. I love these birds!  :love:

LOL! :funny:  Ours love tomatoes too, at least the older flock does. They also love squash and cucumbers. I threw some cucumber slabs into the juvie pen and they went after it thinking it was a zucchin and then stepped back like it was a ufo. :whistle:

I think my husband finally understands my fascination with the EOs now that he has spent some time in the pen with us. I spend a lot of time just hanging out with them and find them to be very good company. The differences between breeds is clear when you really watch them interact, even in day olds. I have some 3 day olds in the brooder now that are hilarious with their antics. They had a tug of war with a piece of pine shaving last night and the one that won was so proud! I really should try to do a photo shoot with them. I say try because it ain't easy!

MD, what are the temperaments like of your rw's, in general? Are they as friendly as some of the others?

Offline

 

#19 2012-08-30 17:10:59

Maggiesdad
Moderator
From: Louisa County, Virginia
Registered: 2011-10-05
Posts: 1980

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

My rws are in two pens, each has about 30 birds and I haven't interacted with those pens as much as I have my incubator selects and hen hatched chicks. I'll let you know if I do get to work one on one with them.

Offline

 

#20 2012-08-30 20:09:31

dahlisgrams
Member
From: NY
Registered: 2012-08-06
Posts: 267

Re: My chicks at 1.5 weeks

Maggiesdad wrote:

My rws are in two pens, each has about 30 birds and I haven't interacted with those pens as much as I have my incubator selects and hen hatched chicks. I'll let you know if I do get to work one on one with them.

:thanks:

I watched the last boy for a while today while working on their pen and I really like his type. I don't know how correct he is but I really like him so far. He is definitely getting a band even if he does have white legs.

Offline

 

Adverts

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Hosted by PunBB-Hosting