Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-07 00:57:46

dahlisgrams

Greetings and salutations from Long Island, New York!

Hi everyone!

Thanks for allowing me to join your group of EO affictionados. I really love this breed so far, though my chicks are still small. They are friendly and are warming up to me quickly. I am here to learn as much as I can about EO's and it seemed like this was the place to be. :wise:

We just finished the roof on a coop/palace for them and tomorrow the remainder of the painting will be completed and it will be ready to move them in. I cannot believe how much work it was! I'm so glad it's almost over and I can get back to chick handling!

I'd like to breed them on a very small scale, just to grow my own flock but would like to do it as responsibly as possible. Quality and friendliness are my main goals. I absolutely love chickens and this is a great breed that deserves a fan club. Count me in! :EO:

Terra

2012-08-07 00:57:46

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-07 01:57:55

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Greetings and salutations from Long Island, New York!

:welcome: Terra! I may be a bit bias but I think you have picked the perfect breed for a backyard flock. I hope you will post some pictures of the new chicken palace. Also if you wouldn't mind, it would be most wonderful if you could add your location to your profile.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2012-08-07 02:47:26

dahlisgrams

poplar girl wrote:

:welcome: Terra! I may be a bit bias but I think you have picked the perfect breed for a backyard flock. I hope you will post some pictures of the new chicken palace. Also if you wouldn't mind, it would be most wonderful if you could add your location to your profile.

Profile updated! Thanks for the reminder. I'll post some photos in the coop section. We just returned from a big box store where we rented an auger to dig post holes for the covered run. It's so much work but will be worth it. I really want the chickens to be safe and comfortable though DH thinks I may have lost my mind. :Crazy:

#4 2012-08-07 02:52:00

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh no, it's absolutely worth it. After all the work and cost not to mention the emotional attachment you will have to your beautiful chickens, spending time and money on proper housing including a good pen area is a very worthwhile effort. Tell your DH your new chicken friends concur that you are indeed thinking perfectly clearly!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-08-07 02:54:14

Maggiesdad

:welcome: To the EO Forum! :jumping:

You won't regret getting set up properly -  I've suffered a lot of losses to predators this summer from not having my pens an coops 100%.

Your gonna love these chickens! I can't help but smile when they come running at me flapping and clucking! My other birds run the opposite direction and are so skittish.

#6 2012-08-07 05:39:05

Micah and Kiah

Welcome!  The only things I know about American I learn from the movies.  How are you going to keep the EOs safe from Godzilla?  :shock:

We are new to chickens but have found EOs to be very people oriented.

:welcome:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#7 2012-08-07 11:08:45

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#8 2012-08-07 11:39:49

dahlisgrams

poplar girl wrote:

Oh no, it's absolutely worth it. After all the work and cost not to mention the emotional attachment you will have to your beautiful chickens, spending time and money on proper housing including a good pen area is a very worthwhile effort. Tell your DH your new chicken friends concur that you are indeed thinking perfectly clearly!

Agreed! I have no desire to do anything halfway and this is something that he realizes as over the top as he probably thinks I've gone this time. He like the chickens and has had a bit of chicken math himself! Funny though, he seems to like the small, flighty breeds that aren't especially human friendy. :duh: I really like to develop relationships with our animals and these babies are perfect for me. They interact and seem very smart so far. They seem to be inspecting me as much as the other way around.

I can already see that this forum will be addictive.. :lol:

#9 2012-08-07 11:49:54

dahlisgrams

Maggiesdad wrote:

:welcome: To the EO Forum! :jumping:

You won't regret getting set up properly -  I've suffered a lot of losses to predators this summer from not having my pens an coops 100%.

Your gonna love these chickens! I can't help but smile when they come running at me flapping and clucking! My other birds run the opposite direction and are so skittish.

Oh no! I'm so sorry you've lost some. :hug: I can imagine that it would be devastating. I spent several days predator proofing the temporary run with wire aprons and aviary netting over the top for hawk protection. My oldest flock is made up of LF and bantam Ameraucanas with a BCM and a polish. They are allowed to free range when I'm outside to supervise, which is a lot! They watched us build the coop from about 3 feet away and are now so darned bomb proof it's amazing. Hammers, screw guns, etc and they don't even flinch. My silver bantam roosters stood not 6 inches away from the pile of roofing shingles that I was pulling from and did not move a muscle when I slid two out and peeled them apart. :shock: I am curious to see what they do this morning when we pull out this auger to drive fence posts for the back of the run! I would be so sad to lose any of them and will do what it takes to make their world as safe as possible. So far we've had no problems with predators, knock on wood.

DH seems to like the skittish breeds. I hope that he spends enough time with them to see the difference for himself. My guess is that the EO's will win him over yet.

#10 2012-08-07 11:52:22

dahlisgrams

Micah and Kiah wrote:

Welcome!  The only things I know about American I learn from the movies.  How are you going to keep the EOs safe from Godzilla?  :shock:

We are new to chickens but have found EOs to be very people oriented.

LOL! I hope I won't have to deal with godzilla! :shock: I thought hawks, fox and other critters were bad enough! :P

Thanks for the welcome!

#11 2012-08-07 11:53:41

dahlisgrams

Martin Grove Farm wrote:

Thanks! It's really nice to be here. :hi:

:EO:

#12 2012-08-07 11:57:41

Flat Rock Farm

:welcome: Terra :Canada:

Well they are unlike any breed that I have ever had, although my bantam cochins sure do take a second place for friendliness.  As am sure you have noticed they are very curious even as babies, sometime they can be a bit too pecky and love shoes, anything that has bling and painted toe's!!! :funny:

Time and money well spent to make sure they are safe and secure from preditors :thumbs:

So glad you could join us and look forward to some :pics:

#13 2012-08-07 12:21:59

Lisa

:welcome: Terra! Ditto what everybody already said! ;)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#14 2012-08-07 14:30:45

Susan
Administrator

:welcome:  Enjoy the site! As you can already see, we have a pretty friendly group here :)

#15 2012-08-07 18:22:32

gubi
Website

:welcome: :EO:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#16 2012-08-07 19:13:58

Micah and Kiah

LOve the photos of the new barn.  We have a very old barn, no running water so this winter we'll be lugging alot of water.  We have thought of tearing down the barn but saving the lovely old beams and rebuilding so something more useful for horses and chickens.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#17 2012-08-07 20:21:51

Island Girl

:welcome: Terra, glad that you joined the site. Its nice to see more and more people enjoying these lovely birds! :EO:

XOX Monika

#18 2012-08-07 20:24:30

NaturesPace
Website

Welcome. sounds like you will fit in just fine.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#19 2012-08-08 01:34:52

dahlisgrams

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

:welcome: Terra :Canada:

Well they are unlike any breed that I have ever had, although my bantam cochins sure do take a second place for friendliness.  As am sure you have noticed they are very curious even as babies, sometime they can be a bit too pecky and love shoes, anything that has bling and painted toe's!!! :funny:

Time and money well spent to make sure they are safe and secure from preditors :thumbs:

So glad you could join us and look forward to some :pics:

The EOs love my rings!

I have two cochins, both LF. One is white and she is as sweet as pie. The other partridge and she's a little stinker! Two weeks old and my daughter has one too and they are carbon copies of one another. They both started off as total mush balls and then did 180's. Not sure why! Maybe they'll swing back to center as they mature. Perhaps it's just typical of the breed? What color are your bantams?

Thinking of buying stock in wire! Am a little concerned about three of my girls out in the medium sized coop. We introduced them to the ameraucana flock today while we were outside putting up fencing and digging holes and then hours later went to dinner. When we returned the three "new" girls are roosting up on top of the coop (in a run covered in aviary netting)! They were hatched in the wild, so it doesn't really surprise me but still...... :huh: I hope they figure things out soon. No bloodshed or anything but oy.

Thanks to everyone for the very warm welcome!! :happycrowd"

#20 2012-08-08 01:39:25

dahlisgrams

Micah and Kiah wrote:

LOve the photos of the new barn.  We have a very old barn, no running water so this winter we'll be lugging alot of water.  We have thought of tearing down the barn but saving the lovely old beams and rebuilding so something more useful for horses and chickens.

Oooh I LOVE old barns!!! What I'd give to have one. You're so lucky! Well, except for the water lugging issue. I can totally understand that. We have a rain water collector for the chickens but it does get old. Great for the shoulders though. lol

I'd love to see what you come up with to be able to reuse the beams. It'll be so worth it. So much character and charm. Our house is very old (late seventeenth century) but unfortunately none of the outbuildings remain.

Have you considered putting in a well? I had one in an old horse barn years ago and it was very convenient.

#21 2012-08-08 03:23:58

Micah and Kiah

There is an old hand pump right in the barn.  We wondered if it would be possible to get it running but it is very, very old! The property sits on an underground lake so we have a spring house instead of a well so not sure where the source of water is for this old hand pump. 
Enjoy those baby EOs!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#22 2012-08-08 11:10:55

Flat Rock Farm

Terra, I have bantam Silver Laced Cochins and Black Frizzle Cochins, it's the SL that are the more friendlier than the frizzle's.  I can understand that the EO's like your rings, like I said anything that has bling, I think they are part crow, LOL

#23 2012-08-08 16:23:29

Amblecroft
Website

Welcome to this great group of EO lovers!

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

Adverts

Board footer