Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-06 22:47:08

Little Boy Blue
Website

Greetings From Marble Falls, Texas, USA

Terra-Blue recommended this forum to me.  She placed me with two EO cockerels several weeks ago. 

I raised chickens growing up in Utah, but after loosing all my chickens to preditors shortly after moving to Oklahoma my Junior year of High School I took a 17 year break.  I moved to Texas about two years ago and moved to some small acerage outside of town.  I had lost the addition to chickens, but after my wife brough home some pure Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans, like many addicts, I suffered a relapse that took a firmer hold on me than the first round had.

I got so involved with our Marans, that I convinced my wife that instead of just keeping some laying hens that we should work on preserving and breeding the pure Cottage Hill line of Marans.  Space didn't allow for this some I build more pens.  My true love was blue eggs though so my wife suprised me with some Cream Legbars to work with too at the beginning of the year.  I thanked her and promised as I build more pens that I would limit things to just two breeds.

I got 5 EO eggs from Greenfire farm in a rare breed assortment of hatching eggs in April.  We only got the assortment for the Cream Legbar egg and were going to only keep pullets from any other breeds and put them in my wife's laying flock.  I had heard that the EO's have great hatch rates (from Mr. Meeks at Skyline Poultry who I had come across in January of this year when he took over the Cottage Hill line of Black Copper Marans), so I was excited for the EO eggs.  I heard they were the friendliest breed in the world, but didn't think I would ever have any since I was commited to two breeds and two breeds only.  Since I already had the eggs in the incubator I convinced my wife to let me keep some EO cockerels to breed.  To my dismay, I didn't get any cockerels.  Just pullets, so I started looking for cockerels.  This was a lot harder to do in Central Texas than I expected.  An EO flock would never have been possible if we didn't get cockeresl from someone that was willing to bend over backwards to get them to us.  So I am very greatful for Terra-Blue's generosity.   

I now have my Greenfire EO's pullets with two Skyline EO's from Terra-Blue. They are all three months old now.  This will be our for fun flock.  We don't intended to select for correct colors or standards, just friendly birds, good layers and good table birds.

P.S.  I am GaryDean26 for those on the BYC forum and Curtis Hale for those of you who know me through the Marans groups. 

P.S.S.  I have a 4 year degree in Spanish (but am a practising Mechanical Engineer).  After trying to translate a few Marans references from French I told my wife that my next breed would be one from Spain.  I don't think much traslation is required for the EO information, but if anyone does need a Spahish Traslation of a poultry genetics paper, etc. I can definatly help out.

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

2012-08-06 22:47:08

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-06 23:27:48

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Greetings From Marble Falls, Texas, USA

Hi there Little Boy Blue.  What a great intro! :welcome: I think you'll fit right in here! :thumbs: You sound like you are as hooked as the rest of us ;)

The EO's are pretty nice birds.  The colours can be all over the map, but they are worth their weight in eggs and friendliness!   :EO:  The legbars sound interesting, are they friendly?  I select for friendly as well as some other stuff too!  I have Wheaten Aeraucanas that are lovely pale blue layers and sweet and friendly.  More polite and less rambuntious than the EOs!

Anyway enjoy the site, we have a great community here.  It's a little quiet today, we are just finishing a long weekend up here!

#3 2012-08-06 23:34:10

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: what a great introduction of yourself!

I'm quite certain you will find some sympathetic addicts to enable you further (although you do seem to be doing very well on your own :whistle: ) on this forum, that's one trait many of us have in common. And your Spanish skills might very well be a huge asset to our forum.

What wonderful choices in breeds, i would love some cream legbars, they had me had "blue eggs", i recently found a person who imported some to Canada so maybe there will be some in my future. What are they like temperment wise?

And with regards to the EOs, I think you will love them! They certainly love people :love:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-08-06 23:35:34

poplar girl
Administrator

Hee hee I see SLF types faster than me, see Little Boy Blue, it WAS a great into!

Claire our posts are alarmingly similar :shock: , great minds think alike?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-08-06 23:46:32

Flat Rock Farm

:welcome: Little Boy Blue to the EO forum. :jumping:  So glad you could join us :happycrowd"
Yes that's one thing with chickens that no one ever told you..........they are addictive :whistle:  I love the Cream Legbars as well and I know a gal about 2.5 hours from me that has them, not sure how they would do in unheated conditions from a Canadian winter.  Someone once told me that they are not very cold tolerant :huh:
You have some lovely breeds and you won't regret the addition of the EO's.  Way to go Terra-Blue for setting LBB with some cockerels :thumbs:

Again....welcome and enjoy the forum :EO:
Paula

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-08-06 23:47:14)

#6 2012-08-07 00:13:38

Maggiesdad

Welcome from VA!  :congrats: on your EOs!

My cousin was up from Ft Worth this past weekend... If you had joined sooner I could have sent him back with a doz EO hatching eggs for you!

Ya, we're a bunch of enablers here... :US:

#7 2012-08-07 00:26:25

Susan
Administrator

Ooh! Welcome LBB! I could use your talents! I have a book by dr. Orozco from Spain on the EOs as well as some other Spanish breeds. Wonder if I scanned them of you could do the translation for me? Nothing like putting you to work right away... :excited:

#8 2012-08-07 02:03:21

poplar girl
Administrator

Little Boy Blue, can you add your location to your profile. I am getting old and in a few weeks or months I may not remember where you're from :oops:

#9 2012-08-07 02:16:56

Island Girl

A huge welcome from Vancouver Island LBB, sounds like you will be a great asset to our happy family!

XOX Monika

#10 2012-08-07 02:28:10

Lindy Lou

Hello and welcome to our EO family. You will love the EO's  and you will really enjoy the people on this forum.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#11 2012-08-07 05:52:18

Micah and Kiah

:welcome: EOs and EO people are awesome.  You will get lots of super information and support.  Sadly, I don't think anyone here is addicted to chickens like you are...nope...not a single person! :whistle: :funny:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#12 2012-08-07 11:07:35

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:welcome:

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#13 2012-08-07 13:51:25

Little Boy Blue
Website

Ya, I browsed some of Dr. Orozco's papers. I only found two from him, I think one was on Golden Barred Spanish Breeds and one on the EO's.  I later found both of the in Engish.  If you have more Orozco papers by all means send them to me.  I love reading well conducted research.  Especially the "undiscovered" ones.

Susan wrote:

Ooh! Welcome LBB! I could use your talents! I have a book by dr. Orozco from Spain on the EOs as well as some other Spanish breeds. Wonder if I scanned them of you could do the translation for me? Nothing like putting you to work right away... :excited:

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2012-08-07 21:31:15)

#14 2012-08-07 14:27:23

Susan
Administrator

Thanks! Will do!

#15 2012-08-07 14:39:54

Little Boy Blue
Website

I like the Cream Legbars.  The pullets are less flighty than the white leghorns or Silkie/Chockin mix in my wife's laying flock.  They will eat out our hand and seem pretty calm.  They however are reserved.  They won't come running up to you in the yard like the EO's do.  They have to be coaxed with treats.

My dad grew up on a Dairy farm that kept a laying flock of 30-40 hens.  They always had what my dad told me were Araucana in the flock.  I loved collecting the blue/green eggs at grandpa's farm as a child, but when I looked into blue egg breeds two years ago discover that what they had were mongrel Easter eggs and not Araucanas.  I was not used to rumples birds, ear tuffs, muffs, beards, pea combs, etc. and wasn't a fan of the look of the other blue egg laying breeds.  I had always raised single combed breeds and I guess you tend to like what you are used to.  I found the Cream Legbars to be much more attractive than Araucana or Ameracuanas, and I loved that they were an autosexing breed (especially after the two Black Copper Marans cockerels that I hatch last year that ended up with girly names because my wife named them before we could determine the sex). I also loved that they were developed by Prof. R.C. Punnet.  I read a bunch of his research papers on Poultry Genetics and the Legbars Development and felt that the Legbars were really a breed I could get excited about.

My Legbars have been excellent layers.  We have had very hot weather the past two months and all of the hens has slowed product except the Cream Legbars.  We find two blue eggs in the box every morning and they lay for about three weeks before they miss a day.  The egg size is really good too. 

The big combs on the cockerels would be a problem with frost bite in areas with cold winters.  I also have heard that Cream Legbars are not good winter layers, but for Texas they are a perfect backyard bird.  I am very happy with them.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2012-08-07 14:43:12)

#16 2012-08-07 15:42:02

NaturesPace
Website

Welcome!
A cross of BCM and CL would give you an Olive Egger. If you like the blue eggs you might also like olive. Of course they will be mutts, but pretty eggs.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#17 2012-08-07 16:11:46

Little Boy Blue
Website

Yes, another Cream Legbar Breeder that I networked with when I was starting with the breed crossed her CLB cockerel with some BCM hens.  One the pullets from the crossed turned out to have the blue gene [di] (which would have come from the CLB line).  The blue pullet with the single comb and tassel cresting is stunning. It hasn't started laying yet, but it is very elegant Easter Egger.

I have also come across people that are crossing CLB's with Crele Penedesenca to maintain the autosexing characteristics and people crossing the Cream Legbar with Partridge Welsummers to achieve similar goals with their Olive eggers. 

I don't have any plans for Oliver Eggers myself.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2012-08-08 13:13:09)

#18 2012-08-07 18:28:12

gubi
Website

:welcome:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#19 2012-08-07 19:13:57

Susan
Administrator

Poplar girl and ipf are going to love chatting with you! They are our resident genetics gurus here :)

#20 2012-08-08 16:31:34

Amblecroft
Website

Welcome, Little Boy Blue :-)  What a great story.  Glad to hear you are enjoying the birds.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

Adverts

Board footer