Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-08-02 19:32:55

WorthItFarms
Website

Our first week of eggs!

Our girls started laying Sunday at 21 weeks old, these are their eggs for the week. We expect one more, but couldn't wait to share.

:excited:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/INOCNTKITN187/Euskal%20Oiloa%20Chickens/IMGA0070.jpg
Top right egg - green/blue Duck egg too large to weigh on my scale
Top center egg - grey/lavender Duck egg, roughly 65-68g
All others are EO eggs, they just barely move my scale, so I would guess them to be around 35g.

I really like the darker brown on ours. The darkest one has a bit of spotting like Wellie eggs. SOOO exciting!
Is everyone else getting dark ones and the pictures make them look lighter?

Located in Chattahoochee Hills, GA. http://worthitfarms.com

2012-08-02 19:32:55

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-08-02 19:57:18

NaturesPace
Website

Re: Our first week of eggs!

:congrats:
wow! are all the little ones EO eggs? My EO eggs are very light in color, almost pink.
Of course I only have one laying so far. My Wellie's eggs are dark, but really tiny.

my EO eggs are weighing in at 46g now.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#3 2012-08-05 16:58:46

riverbendfarm
Website

Those look just like my EO eggs! The pullet eggs are still tasty even if I eat them 2 at a time =). My girls started laying regularly a week or so ago, with my millie first, then my deer colored hen picking it up. My EO type hen hasn't started yet but she has a lighter, slimmer frame than my other girls. They already have the "fluffy bloomers" look of a mature hen. The millie is my favorite hen and she's regular as clockwork every day!

Just a question: Do you guys have trouble with the roos bothering your hens when they get in their laying boxes? My laying boxes are ground level with hay nests, I tried getting them to lay in 5 gallon buckets but the girls were having none of it. Perhaps I can make the sides of my laying boxes taller? I'll Snap some pics of my setup today and get them up here.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#4 2012-08-06 17:38:29

NaturesPace
Website

the cockerels are not bothering my girls. they do seem interested in what is going on, but so are the other pullets. It's all new to them. The one cockerel was doing the 'egg song' along with my Welsummer girl. My EO pullet doesn't seem to sing the egg song at all.

my nest boxes are up off the ground.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2012-08-06 19:37:18

poplar girl
Administrator

My EOs lay from a fairly dark brown to a very light pinky brown. A couple lay speckled as well. Some are XXL eggs, other birds would probably only lay a medium on average. Just like in all other suspects of the breed there's seems to be diversity in the size, shape and color of the eggs.

:congrats: WorthItFarms!

My nest boxes are about 3 feet up so the rooster does not bother the hens.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-08-07 06:00:21

Micah and Kiah

:congrats: on the :layer: Can't wait until we can say the same.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer