Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-27 01:33:35

NaturesPace
Website

Pullets/hens with ovary problems

Wondering if there are other who have had hens with ovary problems, like MDs Forrest?

My understanding is that a pullet or hen develops only the left ovary and if something happens to that ovary they might start to develop male characteristics, like large comb and wattles. Someone on BYC said they might have a pullet with this condition too and I'm wondering if others have had this issue? If so it might be something we need to work on breeding out of out gene pools. Of course, I don't have a clue what that means, but thought it might be something to talk/think about.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-06-27 01:33:35

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-27 01:56:50

ipf

Re: Pullets/hens with ovary problems

My guess (somewhat educated, but still a guess) is that ovarian disorders are more likely to be developmental than genetic, and so not particularly susceptible to elimination through selection. In any case there already IS very strong selection pressure - if the functional ovary is messed up, she's not going to reproduce at all, anyway.

I had a hen that thought she was a roo a few years back - tried to mount the hens, and was very mean. We ate her.

Last edited by ipf (2012-06-27 01:58:54)

#3 2012-06-27 02:38:50

poplar girl
Administrator

None like that so far here NP.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-06-27 02:39:26

Maggiesdad

Yep, my overly aggressive hen has grown enormous headgear, too. She was from a different hatch than Forrest, and her symptoms presented at a later date. I need to isolate her and see whether she is laying or not....

Ipf, was your hen with problems from an incubator or a setting hen? I've read that high/low incubator temps can cause a disproportionate number of cockerels/pullets to hatch...

#5 2012-06-27 02:40:57

Susan
Administrator

Haven't seen that here!

#6 2012-06-27 11:00:40

Flat Rock Farm

I haven't seen that here either.  I had an araucana hen quite a few years ago that made a half attempt at crowing :lol:

#7 2012-06-27 14:21:23

ipf

My "hen" was hatched by a hen, not an incubator. Interesting theory about incubator temps - hadn't heard that. Wonder if they think that one sex dies off, or that one sex assumes the other's traits?

#8 2012-06-27 14:46:30

Maggiesdad

One of the sexes dies off...

The theory was you could swing the hatch to all cockerels or all pullets by incubating too high or too low, I can't remember which way affected which sex. And can't research it right now, I'm off to camp - back Sat afternoon.

But if it does, I was wondering if maybe incorrect temps, but not enough to kill the female embryo, might affect her ovary's development... My affected pullets haven't been dropped or attacked - no physical trauma that I know of.

#9 2012-06-27 14:52:40

NaturesPace
Website

I've heard that before, but I think it's false. The hen determines the sex of the chick before any incubating takes place. well, not that she has a say in it, but it is not like humans where the male determines sex. Geez, everything I write sounds like i need to explain myself. Darn those double entendres.
:chairhide:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#10 2012-07-12 22:55:55

choctawgal
Website

I had one, but she was a Dark Brahma.  We named her "Attila the Hen."

Jenn :surfing:

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#11 2012-07-13 01:02:13

Amblecroft
Website

:funny:  "Atilla the Hen" excellent name!

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

Adverts

Board footer