Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-18 13:33:35

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

New Tin garden shed coop for my youngsters!

So we finally broke out the electric poultry netting and got the tin shed we have been building in Nathan's week off out in the pasture and the oldest babies installed.  I didn't get chance to take pics yesterday before I left (down in Mitchell this week) but will get some when I get home!  It is up on a wire floor and runners, but is 6 by 8 so a good size.  We put 2 welded wire windows in with a dollar store floor mat plastic windows!  And a sliding pop door with a ramp.  My young flock have not been loose before and were totally following me around out in the area. I love EOs even the Black Pennies were following too :EO:

2012-06-18 13:33:35

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-18 13:36:54

Amblecroft
Website

Re: New Tin garden shed coop for my youngsters!

Looking forward to pictures.  Sounds very servicable.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#3 2012-06-18 21:46:27

Flat Rock Farm

Sounds great, can't wait to see some pictures :pics:

#4 2012-06-18 23:36:55

gubi
Website

I bet they are glad to be out on pasture.  I know mine are.  Some of my younger EO's haven't figured out how to get back into the coop through the chicken door yet.  They come running right through the electric fence when they see me and wait at the man door until I let them into their coop again!  I have the oldest 3 batches of pullets in the other fence and took the cockerels here with the tractor that I built using yours as a model.  I have 4 separate fenced areas right now!  You should come up and see your grand chickies if you got spare time.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2012-06-19 00:25:41

Flat Rock Farm

Claire you should go visit gubi, if you are working in Mitchell you are real close.  gubi has a nice set up :thumbs:

P.S: the new girls are doing great and fit right in =D

#6 2012-06-21 00:20:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

So I just got home after an awful few days at work and no reliable internet to boot!  Nathan sent me these on Monday night taken on his ipod! But I wasn't able to post them!

It is so hot here, I just went out and gave the chooks some watermelon and they loved it!

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_0047.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_0049-1.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_0044.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_0045.jpg

Like all the others, it's pressure washable and movable!   I'll post some chick pics soon, I have some pretty nice babies here. 
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_0043-1.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_0046.jpg

#7 2012-06-21 00:56:37

gubi
Website

looks nice, I can't help but see a face at the front, all you need is a couple of eyebrows over the windows!  I like how you made your roosts nice and simple.  I still haven't made any roosts for my coop yet.  Do you think you have enough air flow in there?  Is it not really hot behind the tin right now? 
Next time you are in Mitchell you will have to stop in here after work at night.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2012-06-21 10:23:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I never saw the face til I looked at the pics either!  We wanted the roosts free standing so we didn't have to attach to the tin, so we had them come up from the 2 by 4s in the floor.  I was worried about that, but if you are inside you can see daylight coming in all around the roof and the whole floor is open one by 1 wire, and they are all still sleeping on the ground.  To keep it open and them safe, we have the electric fence up now to keep raccoons out.

Apparently the little chooks spend the day outside, there is a little bare scratched area under the one side where it looks like they lay to keep cool.  Putting the holes in the tin was  a pain for Nathan, but I still wouldn't mind like to see more.  Trust me, I'll be checking it out today in the heat now I am home. Better go and let everyone out now.  My big girls have to stya in as we have someone coming for chanty hens at 111 then they can all go out.  I rigged up a big floor fan to help ventilate the layer coop yesterday anyway.

I'd love to stop in some time Stefan!  The week was an absolute trial, running around all day, I just went to the B&B and slept 12 hours+ after each work day.   Even if there had been internet I would have had to do that anyway!  I am supposed to be back there in August,

#9 2012-06-21 11:34:29

Maggiesdad

Tell Nathan a minigrinder with a thin abrasive wheel is the way to cut in windows and vents, piece of cake - just don't  do it near the chooks, the noise will scare the bejeebers out of them.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe1bJahqOYFi3H1MrXBLnrVFaRZiL4eEV4Zk2ChXBZ6r2hLXO3   and  http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA4D4NQUGI06TCF45dlr4J6fm0Ehb93_ixodN1anYvE8OCkDSRWg

#10 2012-06-21 12:18:18

Flat Rock Farm

:funny: I can see the face gubi, your right it needs some eyebrows :funny:

Love the tin shed Claire, now you got me thinking for something outside for some of my larger inside pens to get them outside.  I love that you have the hooks to move it with the tractor.  With this heat the past couple of days I have really felt for them all to be out, I do let my last years EO's and EE's out once a day to free range.  I do have the exhaust fan but man it still gets hot in that barn and I have really good ventilation.

Thanks for posting the pictures :thumbsup:

#11 2012-06-22 04:13:34

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think it had it's tongue stuck out!  Yep the shed was on sale about 2 months ago for $300.  The first base was too big, the seconds a touch small, but we fixed it up OK!

And MD, we have one of those but he went with tin snips :huh: Yes even a clear plastic bag with wood shavings in it terrifies ours!  :funny:

#12 2012-06-22 12:13:17

Flat Rock Farm

Oh my Nathan did that with tin snips :shock:.  His hands must have been sore after than!!!

#13 2012-06-22 14:03:17

Prairie Chick

:thumbs: Looks great!

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#14 2012-06-22 22:04:54

NaturesPace
Website

Looks good. Should. Be giving my birds a 2x4 to roost on? They have a 2x2 right now.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#15 2012-06-23 04:07:23

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The tin is pretty thin Paula!   But yep that's what he used.  Thanks PC!

We always use at least 2 by 4s for roosts, in winter it keeps their feet warmer, and helps with circulation, they lose less heat and use less energy roosting on a 2 by 4! And by fall those birds will have grown into using the roosts, they are still huddling on the floor.  The 2 by 4 roost are more robust too with a lot of weight on them and we don't plan in changing them later this summer.  This is just for the summer though so went with 2 by 4s for those reasons.  Oh and they warp less that 2 by 2s on pressure washing!

#16 2012-09-03 11:28:09

Chrish

Awesome job very nice coop.:thumbsup:

Hobby farmer raising food the way nature intended. Dexter cows, Berkshire pigs, heritage breed Chickens,
Euskal Oiloa, Barred Plymouth Rock, and a wish list as long as my arm. Twitter @crookhousefarm

Adverts

Board footer