Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-06-15 13:27:23

poplar girl
Administrator

It's so quiet

Without the sound of the incubators going. 

After almost 3 months of constant use, yesterday I shut them down for the season.

I wrote down the results of each hatch and this is my tally for the year:
EOs: 61 healthy chicks (25 from black horse ranch, 16 from Claire, 20 from my pair breeding)
d'Uccles: 26 healthy chicks (7 from Claire, 1 from Paula, 18 from my pair breeding)
Turkeys: 7 healthy poults (1 Ridley bronze from Susan, 5 other Ridley bronze, 1 narsgenset)
Spitz: 3 healthy chicks from gubi
Easter eggers (blue eggs): 4 healthy chicks

Grand Total: 101 healthy baby birds!

For me that's alot (an all time record =D ) but for some I know those are small numbers.
I am not going to tally the number of eggs I set, I did loose quite a few to clears and some at hatch time. I have also lost a few of the above chicks later on, but not too many so far.

Where is everyone with their incubating this year? Finished or still incubating or planning to?
How many chicks have you hatched and of what breeds? Or have you lost count :P

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-06-15 13:27:23

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-06-15 19:34:51

Amblecroft
Website

Re: It's so quiet

:congrats:

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#3 2012-06-16 01:02:40

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Neat! :congrats:  That's a lot of chicks!  I have lost count :whistle: I thought it was just going to be Ameraucanas and a few EOs for a little bit longer, but just got a big final order for more EOs and BPs, though we are running on fumes now with the BPs as the rooster just went to his new home down in Woodstock today.  :hatch:  Still have the 'bators humming downstairs and more babies due this weekend!  But we are starting to come to an end for hatching for us.

#4 2012-06-16 02:05:49

Flat Rock Farm

I know mine hasn't been running now for two weeks,  funny how you miss the hum of the bator.  Good hatching there PG, I think I hatched 100 as well.  I will be firing up the incubator after I collect some BM D'uccles as I have a request from a fellow that he will purchase as many as I can hatch.  Just after I thought I was done :whistle:

#5 2012-06-16 14:12:10

Prairie Chick

I have a batch of guineas in the bator then i am also done for the season

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#6 2012-06-16 14:19:36

Lisa

We have a nice batch of eo's (47), some TPC's and some muscovy ducks in the bator. Then hopefully done for the season....

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#7 2012-06-16 17:57:58

appway

Still Hatching here
have hatched 55 Turkeys we have had a great hatch so far
75 Easter Eggers so far
Have more Turkeys in the Bators and Guinea's in
QWe hatch into August or Sept Depending on the Hens
Only 1 Rose Comb Bantam Leghorn has hatched so Hoping for more
This is my favorite season Hatching season

#8 2012-06-17 02:09:01

riverbendfarm
Website

Here at Riverbend we just started our flock this season. We hatched out 7 Buff Orpingtons, 7 Partridge Plymouth Rocks, 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 1 single Columbian Rock (looks like a pullet for the laying house). I have set a small batch of 10 Black Penedesenca eggs from the adult pair I bought from Hackmatack Ridge Farm, hoping to increase my base stock and start line breeding. Those are due to zip out on Friday if all goes well. I have my still air Hovabator in the cellar and the constant temperature has it working beautifully and needing no adjustments. My EO's are not laying yet, but I got 5 beautiful little silkie crosses from Northmountain Gal, and they may decide to do some hatching for me this winter. The kids have named them Mr. and Mrs Pouf, Tribbles, Jelly and Kerflurfles respectively. (The names just make me howl when they come up with them!) Remember the "Name it and you can't cook it" rule? My kids are using it shamelessly LOL! My EO roos are starting to misbehave so the culls are going to be sold off soon. I believe I have chosen my foundation roo (big brown eyes, good colour, yellow legs but he has a sprig or 2) and the others need to move along! Probably going to post them on Kijiji this week.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#9 2012-06-17 06:19:31

Micah and Kiah

My last hatch goes in the last week of June.  It will be 24 EO eggs from Claire.  Got all three bators humming right now: Barnevelders, Marans, a few Buff laced Polish(a sister in law loves the hatted chickens) and 24 Coronation Sussex eggs from BC. 65 chicks and all those eggs...so still in the middle of our marathon beginning to chicken keeping!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer