Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-20 23:33:49

Susan
Administrator

I'm officially setting up a triage center!

First of all, sorry for not posting much lately- I've been really busy between the kids, animals and garden. So of course now is when the animals get sick or need vaccines. Most serious: Frosty. He's looking awful and I can't find amprol. Going to start him on tetracycline tonight because to be honest, its all I have. Second, one of my 10 week old turkey poults has gone off his legs. Still w*nts to eat and drink, but can't stand. I was thinking of trying to make a sling, but don't know that will help. He's not suffering or loosing weight so we'll see. Friends of mine think it could be West Nile. Third, last night one of my beautiful GLW had a limp. Picked her up- bumblefoot! Not one but both feet!  I caught it early though, so I think she'll recover. Removed both plugs. One bled, the other was solid. Both were quite small. Cleaned her feet with Chlorhexidine, packed with polysporin and bandaged both with knuckle bandaids. If she picks them off, I'll use vet wrap over top. Started her on Superbooster, but since it is most likely a Staph infection, may get some Baytril if it doesn't look better in a day or 2. Fourth, need to booster the horses tonight for herpes virus( have had some cases go neurological around Saskatoon lately) and even though ours aren't around others lately, I figured probably a good idea. Fifth, need to boost the puppy as she is 16 weeks old and due. Thankfully Tempest's hot spot on his head has improved so he doesn't need his cone anymore. He is still on antibiotics however every 12 hours. Whew!  Wow, it looks like I am a very bad pet owner!  Anyone want me to pet sit??  No guarantees they'll make it out alive lol!! Sigh, I should have finished vet school....

2011-07-20 23:33:49

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-21 00:10:52

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Re: I'm officially setting up a triage center!

Sorry to hear you are so buisy Susan with sick animals I do hope frosty gets better soon.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#3 2011-07-21 00:20:01

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh my! That is a lot to deal with all at once. I hope you are holding up okay, you need to take extra care to keep yourself healthy so you can help everyone else remember.

I bought antibiotics online from the USA. I made myself a pretty extensive medicine shelf just in case. So far no need to use most of it. I bought sulfamethazine rather than amprol for cocci. I think it is supposed to be a better choice.

I will look and see where I bought it...
http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index. … cPath=3_75

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-07-21 01:51:10

Flat Rock Farm

Ha Susan your place and to-do list sounds a lot like mine, LOL  I had a bantam BLRW get an E-Colli infection in all places his eye!  Guess he got turd flung into his eye and I thought it was just a minor eye infection, so thankfully I work at a vet clinic and I had them swab his eye and send it for culture and sensitivity test and that's what they found.  Well we only had tablet form of Baytril on hand so I have had to pill a chicken for 10 days, now that's something!  So I hear you with this and that there is always something.  Hope you have knocked some your list down :thumbs:

#5 2011-07-21 02:23:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:sad: Sorry you are having to deal with all this Susan.  A sling is a good idea for your turkey.  I used a sling out of a dollar store dish cloth, rubber bands and two short pieces of bamboo, like a jolly jumper. Two good sized leg holes and a huge poop hole, it helps keep them form laying in their own poop and may allow him some exercise of his legs.

I agree the sulmet works best IMO.  Culters is a great place to get supplies.  Hope it all works out soon!

#6 2011-07-21 17:12:42

Susan
Administrator

Got the sulphmethazine, hope it helps!!  Now I'm off to rebandage the GLW as the bandaid came off. Next, a turkey sling....

#7 2011-07-22 01:28:56

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:applause: sounds like you are on track!  Hope they get better soon!

#8 2011-07-31 01:38:03

Susan
Administrator

Here's the update; firstly when I have time to sit down at the computer (ususally post with my phone), I'm going to check out Cutler's and order a few things. My turkey is almost back to new, looking good and back running around. My GLW still has a limp, but is fighting the infection. Frosty however stills looks pale and off. I don't know that the sulmet is helping. May have to call my henchman friend soon. I know I keep saying that, but I'm just not sure. Its much easier when they are in obvious distress. He doesn't look good, but he does eat and drink, so ????   Anyway, that's where we are now.

#9 2011-07-31 03:17:14

poplar girl
Administrator

I'm sorry Susan about Frosty. He has been sick for quite awhile now, sort of strange he would not get either better or worse. That would certainly make the decision easier.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2011-07-31 11:09:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It is hard when they are in between like that.  I was hoping it would do the trick.  Poor fella.  Hope he improves soon.

#11 2011-07-31 19:41:30

Lisa

Susan,

So sorry to hear about all of your animal challenges!

Was wondering if perhaps newbies (like me!) could benefit from your experience? Perhaps when you are finished with all of your triage, you might consider starting a thread about which meds you used for which conditions, and how they worked? I know I need to start an emergency kit, but don't know what needs to be in there, what treats what, and how to recognize it if it happened!

Sending good wishes to you and your creatures....

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#12 2011-07-31 20:17:53

Susan
Administrator

Will do Lisa! I think we would all benefit from a thread like that! :). And I will PM you back ASAP! Hopefully tonight K?

Adverts

Board footer