Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

Poll

Is there still value to EOCF

Yes

90% - 10
No

9% - 1
Total: 11

#26 2015-10-22 20:10:14

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Survey!

I was feeling the same way PG, checking the forum everyday and nothing, it was getting depressing.  I was getting tired of posting and not getting any replies, so I stopped checking or posting, my bad too :(

If it can keep going, great, but as you can see it's the "usual's" that have chimed in.

2015-10-22 20:10:14

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2015-10-23 01:21:05

poplar girl
Administrator

Thanks MD :). Just so you know...I think the survey prevents the smilies from working as they work on other threads!

FRF you said it well. I am glad i am not alone in my thoughts. But I will try to make it work. Maybe if all the "regulars" make a bit of an effort to check in, post a few thoughts or pictures, we can keep enough momentum. I just wanted to make sure people still see some value as it does time time and effort to keep things going. Seems we are not yet ready to let go so let's try to make it a bit more an an active forum!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#28 2016-01-05 21:59:06

WorthItFarms
Website

It appears most American members have stopped responding and/or stopped breeding. We recently had to find a new bit of bloodlines from MN just to keep going. We are still attempting to get a Zilarra program together, but it's slow going. We have three different colored roosters to use and a variety of hens (from blonde to marraduna to almost gorria) to mix them with. If we can just get the breeding coops set up, we will be able to start test breeding. But, we have Ancona ducks and Cotton Patch to separate for breeding also AND 8 new Guernsey dairy goats to start milking/making cheese with, so not sure if we will get to the Basque or not.

And an FYI: Basque mixed with Welsummer make SUPER cute oops babies, LOL.

Located in Chattahoochee Hills, GA. http://worthitfarms.com

#29 2016-01-06 19:07:07

gubi
Website

I guess the Basques are not the new cool thing anymore.  Gotta have chocolate orpingtons or Seramas or Bresse now!  It's time for those of us that are serious about the breed to carry on and make them great!  I know what you are talking about.  If I had more time on my hand I could do a much better job at breeding the basques too, but for now it's I turn out my best rooster with the hens that I think are good enough to breed from and hatch all I get in the spring.  What kind of cheese are you making?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#30 2016-01-07 01:29:35

poplar girl
Administrator

Part of me is glad that the EOs are pasted the "new cool" phase. Like you said Gubi, it should mean those left still working with the breed are hopefully in it for the longer haul and hopefully will be taken seriously.

As for doing breeding justice, I think it's fair to say most of us could certainly do more if we had more time...and space! One of the reasons I hatch in the winter is that's when I have the most time!  Also sometimes you have to narrow down the breeds or varieties you raise todo justice as hard as it is to make that decision.

WorthitFarms I would seriously consider an out cross to another breed for your Zilarra project. I don't think the North American EOs carry the silver allele, they are all gold based. Also not sure if anyone in US had gorria and you need to get rid of the barring for Zilarra. Just my opinion!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#31 2016-04-11 18:56:59

WorthItFarms
Website

Sorry for the delayed response poplar girl:

We actually had a rooster that seemed to not have the gold gene (I was SOOO excited). Bred him to one blondie hen and one darker Marraduna/lighter gorria type hen before the Red-Tails got him. Hoping for eggs to hatch this weekend. I'd post a picture or two, but it's just too hard to get them on here. I can email it to you though if you want.

We are getting a wide variety of hen colors out of our main rooster. (Were, we were getting a variety. He got eaten by the LGD last week - its rough at our house). The hens I call "Gorria" are not dark red, but they do seem to lack the barring. And the blondies pretty commonly lack the barring. I have a backup -red barred rooster I am now stuck using, but his color is closer to Crele than Marraduna - so much black. But he's very smart, very resourceful, and very protective unlike my older, bigger rooster who was big and pretty but dumb and overly gentle.

Last edited by WorthItFarms (2016-04-11 18:58:03)

Located in Chattahoochee Hills, GA. http://worthitfarms.com

Adverts

Board footer