Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

Poll

Is there still value to EOCF

Yes

90% - 10
No

9% - 1
Total: 11

#1 2015-10-14 01:18:22

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Survey!

Over the past months, slowly but surely, our EO forum has been getting quieter and quieter. Lately it seems that we have reached a point where there are virtually no new posts.

I loved the "good old days" of this forum...the fun banter, the questions and answers, the study groups...All of it! But aside from a place to store some of that great info, I am challenged to see the value in continuing this forum in its present state.

So what do we do? End the forum? Or keep it? If you answer YES you would like to keep the forum :please: post or pm your suggestions on how we can breath life back in!!


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

2015-10-14 01:18:22

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-10-14 02:13:42

Flat Rock Farm
Member
From: Branchton, Ontario Canada
Registered: 2011-07-03
Posts: 3359

Re: Survey!

I miss the "good old days" as well.   There is nothing posted which is very sad :(.  I am not sure what to suggest to keep the forum "alive". sigh!

Offline

 

#3 2015-10-14 11:01:09

hollowridge
Member
From: Lunenburg, County, Nova Scotia
Registered: 2013-03-25
Posts: 259

Re: Survey!

:(   It would be a sad day here if this doesn't continue.  Not sure as to what to do, this is a busy time of year for a lot of people.  I know that I really value the advice that I have gotten on this site from people who have this breed, and have learned a lot in these past years.

It would be a true shame not to have you all here.  :sick:

Last edited by hollowridge (2015-10-14 11:03:05)

Offline

 

#4 2015-10-14 17:45:34

Flat Rock Farm
Member
From: Branchton, Ontario Canada
Registered: 2011-07-03
Posts: 3359

Re: Survey!

There is the North American Basque Hen Association facebook page, maybe we can us it in place of this forum??

I can't believe it has died down to nothing, so sad :(

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2015-10-15 01:05:00)

Offline

 

#5 2015-10-14 23:33:10

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

I may have to become an active member on Facebook I suppose. I created a page for our farm so it could probably happen.

Hollowridge I would like to think we can find a way to breath life back into the forum and that things will pick up as we get into winter but I am beginning to think without some new ideas they won't pick up enough to make it worth people's time to check and post! It's kind of a vicious cycle...why post if hardly anyone replies...why check if there nothing new!!


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#6 2015-10-15 11:10:41

hollowridge
Member
From: Lunenburg, County, Nova Scotia
Registered: 2013-03-25
Posts: 259

Re: Survey!

Yes, PG, I know what you are saying.  The last few times that I posted the "good old faith full ones responded and then it died rather quickly.  So said, lots of great people with good knowledge out there.

Last edited by hollowridge (2015-10-15 11:11:32)

Offline

 

#7 2015-10-16 00:26:08

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

Well my plan is to keep this thread alive for a good week maybe two to give members lots of time to check in, think on this and respond. Those who vote or make a null vote (please vote instead!) can see how the numbers are totalling up!


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#8 2015-10-16 01:31:21

gubi
Member
From: Walton
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 1344
Website

Re: Survey!

I still check in every day to see if anything got posted


Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

Offline

 

#9 2015-10-16 11:45:51

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

I've seen that gubi d am always happy when I do!

What sort of things could we post to start some good conversation do you guys think?
Or is the way of the future Facebook or something like the NABHA website and blog instead?


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#10 2015-10-17 11:42:16

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

5 votes so far...230+ members so I'm hoping a few more people will express their opinion.


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#11 2015-10-18 12:25:33

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

Come on folks....ring those phones...oh sorry I think that's Telemiracle, those from Saskatchewan will understand.


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#12 2015-10-18 21:42:21

Flat Rock Farm
Member
From: Branchton, Ontario Canada
Registered: 2011-07-03
Posts: 3359

Re: Survey!

Is there anyway PG that a mass PM can be sent to all members in regards to this??

Offline

 

#13 2015-10-19 02:27:26

Shnookie
Member
From: Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Registered: 2014-05-29
Posts: 72

Re: Survey!

I like this forum and I like my EOs, even though I don't have many.  I have noticed it has been quiet.  Lately I have been busy and not on my computer as much.  Our fall weather has been nice so I have been outside a lot.  Others probably have too.  Winter should bring more activity here, don't you think?  I suggest we keep it at least until this time next year to see if there is still enough interest to warrant it, and in the mean time consider any suggestions that members have for alternatives.

What would happen to all the information here if people stop logging in?  Will it get deleted?  Can it be moved to a new platform?  I am not a big fan of Facebook since I am stuck in the dark ages and have to use dial-up internet.  Facebook can take ages to display a page, and sometimes hangs my computer.  If that's where this ends up I will just have to deal with it.


Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

Offline

 

#14 2015-10-19 07:39:13

Island Girl
Member
From: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Isla
Registered: 2011-07-06
Posts: 1403

Re: Survey!

pg I have brought my head up for air and I see that I have seriously let you down with my offer of help starting in Sept ... good Lord how did Oct happen! It would be very sad indeed if this forum shut down, it has been invaluable to me. I know how absolutely insane my life has been and it makes me wonder if its 'catchy' ? Why are we not seeing more activity ...  Is it the time of year?  Has it served its purpose? I really don't know what to say except that hopefully things are slowing down a bit for me which does allow a bit of extra time to be here.

XOX Monika

Offline

 

#15 2015-10-19 11:06:53

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Is there anyway PG that a mass PM can be sent to all members in regards to this??

I believe a mass email can be sent to all members but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea. Perhaps for something this important it is warranted?


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#16 2015-10-19 11:13:54

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

Shnookie wrote:

I like this forum and I like my EOs, even though I don't have many.  I have noticed it has been quiet.  Lately I have been busy and not on my computer as much.  Our fall weather has been nice so I have been outside a lot.  Others probably have too.  Winter should bring more activity here, don't you think?  I suggest we keep it at least until this time next year to see if there is still enough interest to warrant it, and in the mean time consider any suggestions that members have for alternatives.

What would happen to all the information here if people stop logging in?  Will it get deleted?  Can it be moved to a new platform?  I am not a big fan of Facebook since I am stuck in the dark ages and have to use dial-up internet.  Facebook can take ages to display a page, and sometimes hangs my computer.  If that's where this ends up I will just have to deal with it.

Shnookie winter may bring slightly more activity but if last winter is any indication it will still be very quiet I think unless some sort of member effort is made to get posts and discussions flowing. I would very much hate to loss EOCF but I would like to think it can be more than just an archive of info.

If the forum were to go I would likely copy some of the information to an offline location but the information from a public perspective I believe would be lost. I am not aware of any way to copy it to another forum although if another Admin knows more than me by all means please correct me!


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#17 2015-10-19 11:16:11

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

Island Girl wrote:

pg I have brought my head up for air and I see that I have seriously let you down with my offer of help starting in Sept ... good Lord how did Oct happen! It would be very sad indeed if this forum shut down, it has been invaluable to me. I know how absolutely insane my life has been and it makes me wonder if its 'catchy' ? Why are we not seeing more activity ...  Is it the time of year?  Has it served its purpose? I really don't know what to say except that hopefully things are slowing down a bit for me which does allow a bit of extra time to be here.

XOX Monika

So far the votes is to keep the forum although I would like to see a higher member response so we may have to chat yet IG! Spammer management is not the driver behind my question I am managing that okay, it's the many days and even weeks without any new posts that have me concerned.


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#18 2015-10-19 12:56:38

Susan
Administrator
From: Saskatoon, Sask, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-28
Posts: 2540

Re: Survey!

As an administrator of this site, I check in almost every day and read many posts. I have not been commenting much as as I have not been breeding my flock for the past three years while busy with school. They are, however, alive and well! I have no intentions of closing the forum and also hope we can generate more activity. Pg and anyone else, feel to contact me with comments and/or concerns.

Offline

 

#19 2015-10-19 20:41:13

Flat Rock Farm
Member
From: Branchton, Ontario Canada
Registered: 2011-07-03
Posts: 3359

Re: Survey!

I know even on BYC there is an EO thread and it has died down immensely as well.

Offline

 

#20 2015-10-20 01:10:13

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

Susan wrote:

As an administrator of this site, I check in almost every day and read many posts. I have not been commenting much as as I have not been breeding my flock for the past three years while busy with school. They are, however, alive and well! I have no intentions of closing the forum and also hope we can generate more activity. Pg and anyone else, feel to contact me with comments and/or concerns.

Of course the decision of what to do with the forum is Claire's to make but I am very interested to get some member imput on the value of EOCF to them. Also hoping for some ideas on how to keep the forum more active.

Good to know your Basque flock is alive and well Susan!


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#21 2015-10-21 00:56:31

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

6 yes, 1 no. I will let this thread go silent unless others pick it up again.  Thanks to all those who expressed their thoughts.


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#22 2015-10-21 23:47:15

Maggiesdad
Moderator
From: Louisa County, Virginia
Registered: 2011-10-05
Posts: 1980

Re: Survey!

Hmmm... stop in to catch up - and this is like hearing your uncle has cancer.   (insert sad face here)  Even the smilies are broken!

This forum has been invaluable to me, too. And I cherish all the friends I've made through it. Chicken friends are the best!


These things happen, though. Things go in cycles... it takes a hardcore chicken person to stick with a bird and try to improve it.

Offline

 

#23 2015-10-21 23:48:44

Maggiesdad
Moderator
From: Louisa County, Virginia
Registered: 2011-10-05
Posts: 1980

Re: Survey!

Shnookie I'm so sorry about the dialup...   (hugs)

Offline

 

#24 2015-10-22 11:01:32

poplar girl
Administrator
From: Athabasca, AB, Canada
Registered: 2011-06-30
Posts: 3159

Re: Survey!

Maggiesdad wrote:

Hmmm... stop in to catch up - and this is like hearing your uncle has cancer.   (insert sad face here)  Even the smilies are broken!

This forum has been invaluable to me, too. And I cherish all the friends I've made through it. Chicken friends are the best!


These things happen, though. Things go in cycles... it takes a hardcore chicken person to stick with a bird and try to improve it.

I think their is almost concensus MD that the forum should stay.

I apologize to anyone that feels my question was out of line. Coming on here every day, seeing no new posts for days or even a week or more, and then seeing 20+ spammers that need deleting and a bunch of broken smilies that should be fixed got kind of depressing. Perhaps it's me that needs a break and the forum is just fine!!


Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Offline

 

#25 2015-10-22 11:52:14

Maggiesdad
Moderator
From: Louisa County, Virginia
Registered: 2011-10-05
Posts: 1980

Re: Survey!

No need to apologize to anyone. You do yeoman's work (yeolady? LOL) around here and for the association.

And the kind of friendships we've developed can talk about anything.

(da grouphug is placed here)

Offline

 

Adverts

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Hosted by PunBB-Hosting